PlayStation 5 and next-gen Xbox might launch sooner than you think

I would expect a similar console lifespan to what we have seen for the last few generations. I wouldn't be surprised if people at Sony and Microsoft are already thinking about their vision for the next consoles but they won't be coming out for years. By the time they do come out the technology and consumer needs may be completely different.

Look how much things have changed since the 360 came out in 2005. Some of us were messing around with Xbox Live on the original Xbox but the 360 was many people's first truly connected console. Netflix and other streaming services didn't even exist yet. The dashboard was also completely different than what it looks like today. We may not see something as big as streaming video again this generation but it's safe to say that both new consoles will be quite a bit different by the time the generation ends. People will probably be demanding something in the PS5 and next Xbox that we don't even know we want yet.

I sure hope so. The Xbone and PS4 are underpowered piles of crap. They can't even do native 1080p60 which I think we were all expecting to be the marker of 'next-gen'. And of course the Wii U is essentially a Fisher Price toy at this point. I've been doing 1080p 60 FPS on my PC for over six years now. Next year I intend to upgrade to a 4K display @ 60 FPS. Microsoft in particular really screwed the pooch this time by launching a machine much weaker than its direct competitor for a higher price. They are already holding back PC games. The PC version of Watch Dogs was butchered to accommodate their limitations; I fear for The Division.

Although I'm really hoping with how poorly the Wii U and Xbone are doing Nintendo finally realizes it's time to drop out and go third party and hopefully Microsoft follows suit and goes back to where they belong; supporting Windows. I could see the next Xbox being a Steam machine instead of another underpowered proprietary PC.

I sure hope so. The Xbone and PS4 are underpowered piles of crap. They can't even do native 1080p60 which I think we were all expecting to be the marker of 'next-gen'. And of course the Wii U is essentially a Fisher Price toy at this point. I've been doing 1080p 60 FPS on my PC for over six years now. Next year I intend to upgrade to a 4K display @ 60 FPS. Microsoft in particular really screwed the pooch this time by launching a machine much weaker than its direct competitor for a higher price. They are already holding back PC games. The PC version of Watch Dogs was butchered to accommodate their limitations; I fear for The Division.

Although I'm really hoping with how poorly the Wii U and Xbone are doing Nintendo finally realizes it's time to drop out and go third party and hopefully Microsoft follows suit and goes back to where they belong; supporting Windows. I could see the next Xbox being a Steam machine instead of another underpowered proprietary PC.

I think you're putting a little to much emphasis on numbers. Do you actually have either of the new consoles? You could remaster PS2 games as "HD Collections" at 1080p and 60 frames per second but they still wouldn't look any good.

There are lots of other factors like lighting and level of detail that can have a much bigger impact on how good a game looks than the difference between 900p and 1080p. By the way, there are plenty of console games that run at 1080p but my point is that there are more important things than that 180 lines of resolution.

I do have a nice PC that can play most of my games at 1080p and 60 frames per second but your point that you could do that for 6 years doesn't mean that much in terms of how good a game actually looks. What looks better, 1080p Skyrim on PC or 900p Watch Dogs on a console? I'll give you a hint... It's not Skyrim.

I'll put it this way, I have about 200 games in my Steam library and a PC that is probably a little more powerful than my PS4. I haven't played a game yet that I can't run at 1080p and just about everything maxed out. I have played some really pretty games on PC but I don't think I have anything that looks as pretty as inFamous on my PS4 or Ryse on my Xbox One.

I'm not saying that there aren't some PC games out there that can take advantage of truly powerful PC hardware and put the consoles to shame. I just don't have them and I think you're overstating things when you call the consoles "underpowered piles of crap." I mean what do you want them to do? The can't put a $1000 gaming PC into a $400 box. I think they offer a pretty good level of hardware for that price.

The PS4 and Xbox One are likely significantly more powerful than the vast majority of gaming PCs out in the wild today. Of course, that will change over the next several years as people upgrade.

PS2 games running at 1080p look great. I prefer emulating them over the 'HD collections' on the PS3 for that very reason. The PS2 games emulated @ native 1080p on a PC look better than their 'HD remasters' on the PS3 running @ native 720p and resolution is the sole reason.

Are you kidding? 1080p Skyrim on PC looks way better than Watch Dogs running on a PS4. Look up Skyrim with some hi-res texture mods and ENB lighting. It's better looking than any console game.

I want the consoles to be closer to high-end PC GPUs than they are. It has been tradition for consoles to launch with hardware close to the highest-end PC GPUs. The Xbox 360 launched with a GPU that wasn't even available for the PC for months.

This generation they launched way behind and that gap is only going to get bigger. The best GPUs on the market were already 3x and 4x more powerful than what's in the PS4 and Xbone.

Here's some screenshots of Super Mario Galaxy 2 being rendered at native 1080p via the Dolphin emulator... a game that was originally 480p. It is a clear example of how important resolution is to graphical quality.

SMG2_1.png SMG2_2.png SMG2_3.png SMG2_4.png

I'm not saying resolution doesn't matter. I run everything at 1080p on my PC because I want it to look as good as possible on my setup. I'm just saying that the 180 lines of resolution between 900p and 1080p isn't as important as other graphical advances that came with the new consoles and new PC games. PC has the potential to be much better than consoles depending on your price level but don't act like most people have gaming PC as powerful as these "junk" consoles.

I do run Skryim on my PC at 1080p with the high resolution texture mod and I would say that Watch Dogs and plenty of other PS4 games look much better than it does.

Skyrim is a couple years old at this point. New PC games that receive the same level of care as Skyrim did will certainly look better on a $1000+ gaming PC than a $400 console but I don't believe Skyrim does. That $400 PS4 does run plenty of games at 1080p too. It's a nice level of hardware at $400. I don't believe you could build a PC at that price level that could match it.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)