made the call

celticben

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Feb 5, 2008
My 18-month contract with Dish expires a week from today. I looked into Direct and I simply could not pass up the AAA deal. I called tonight and they will be here on Wednesday morning to hook me up. I got Dish for the HD and now I am leaving for the same reason I signed up to begin with.

Good for you celticben..If more people just upped and switched Dish just...might get their head out of the sand and see whats happening..but they do know..go figure..I think most people stay with them out of habit and not wanting to change out everything..I myself switched after being a Dish guy for over 12yrs and I didn't do it on a lurch..If I'm going to drop big dollars I what to see something for it and Dish really doesn't have it anymore and they haven't for quite sometime now..

Be sure to post back in this thread to relate your overall experience and satisfaction after your install is complete.

I am thinking of "making the call" too.

My 18-month contract with Dish expires a week from today. I looked into Direct and I simply could not pass up the AAA deal. I called tonight and they will be here on Wednesday morning to hook me up. I got Dish for the HD and now I am leaving for the same reason I signed up to begin with.

Would you elaborate on this AAA deal?

Edit: Got it. Was hoping it was a permanent discount.

Would you elaborate on this AAA deal?

Edit: Got it. Was hoping it was a permanent discount.

Well the $10 per month basically is a discount for the entire term of your 24 month contract. Plus you can do this discount ontop of the other national offerings they are giving new subs.

I know I will be there by june, once the hockey season is finished.

Make sure you know that D* requires two lines to be run to the dual tuner receivers.....this is more or less of a dealbreaker for me.

I will post an update tomorrow night after the install and let you know what I think and the differences. My main concern is the DVR, but I am willing to trade a solid DVR for increased HD channels. Check the AAA deal. You get $10 off for 24 months on top of the $18 off for 12 months online special, a $50 referral, and $20 for auto billing. That makes my bill under $50 for the first year. Half what my Dish bill is or was.

I made the switch, with much reservation, on Friday. After the install, all reservations are gone!! I do not have the DVR, just wanted the HD programming. I just got tired of waiting for new HD. PQ seems better with D*, but it is too close to tell. The other issue I had with E* was my picture breaking up during storms and that has not been an issue with D*. For the most part, I had just completed my contract with Dish, wanted to save some money, and get more HD channels. Here's hoping that Dish adds some new HD in the very near future!!

I remember a lot fo the people who switched were E loyalists. I now see these posts about how happy they are with D after reservations. Come on E* wake up already. These arent the people who dont go with what ever way the wind is blowing. These are good customers who are jumping ship now.

I just could not forgo the DVR as it is by far and away the thing that I use the most in watching TV. D* still charges a huge upgrade fee to get an HD Tivo so until they offer one free or reasonably priced I would never consider changing as we will get more HD with E* at some point and time. People need to have some patience as you do not have to have the most, the best, the newest or all of the forementioned as soon as it becomes available but it seems some people think they have to have it and have it now. :wave

I just could not forgo the DVR as it is by far and away the thing that I use the most in watching TV. D* still charges a huge upgrade fee to get an HD Tivo so until they offer one free or reasonably priced I would never consider changing as we will get more HD with E* at some point and time. People need to have some patience as you do not have to have the most, the best, the newest or all of the forementioned as soon as it becomes available but it seems some people think they have to have it and have it now. :wave

To be fair, Mike. It's not like it's been a week or two. D* has been rooking E* for the last 6 months on HD. Every other week D* launches more HD channels, and all we get from E* is empty promises and a big fat "SOON". I'm not leaving Dish partly because I'm in an 18 month contract, and for other reasons. I like Dish's DVR much better, I don't want to pay a ton of money out front for 2 HDDVRs, and Dish hasn't yet sabotaged PPV with the autodelete garbage. So, for me it isn't feasable, but I completely understand why so many others are jumping ship.

I understand what you are saying completely, just understand that I didn't feel too happy about paying more for less at this time, when I can get a big discount through D*. It is called a free market economy, and it was in my best interests to leave now, rather than wait it out. After two years, I might be back. Last I checked, it was not against the law to do so.

Well the $10 per month basically is a discount for the entire term of your 24 month contract. Plus you can do this discount ontop of the other national offerings they are giving new subs.

I know I will be there by june, once the hockey season is finished.

Same with me.......June 1 is the deadline with me once hockey is done. That is MORE than enough time for Dish to light up more national HD.

Same with me.......June 1 is the deadline with me once hockey is done. That is MORE than enough time for Dish to light up more national HD.

Ultimately it is not just a hockey issues with me. E* doesn't offer locals in HD,; our RSN (MSG-which Buffalo Games are on) is only in SD; plus they don't offer YES Network (Yankees) PERIOD.

So once my NHL CI runs out, if E* hasn't made progress in addressing atleast my locals and MSG; I will be out outta there.

I had DirecTV installed on Friday after waiting a few months for Dish to add more national HD channels. I was hoping that USA and SciFi would be added last week, as that might had been enough to make me rethink my decision. But that didn't happen.

I got the HD DVR so they did have to run another line to the living room. So as one guy installed the disc, the other guy ran the cable. It took a little over an hour for the install and then the installer gave me a quick demo of the remote and features.

The DirecTV HD DRV menu is of course different from Dish, so it'll take a little time to get use to it. But so far there is nothing that is a deal breaker.

Yesterday I called Dish to cancel my service and politely stated that I just wanted to cancel my service; I wasn't interested in any discounts or waiting for more national HD channels to be added in the coming months. I did have to say that about 8 times before my service was canceled.

I had been with Dish since Voom went out of service, but they were not offering the HD content I wanted. And it was becoming more difficult to justify waiting when DirecTV is offering the HD content I want.

So I moved to DirecTV, the move was easy and I'm happy with my decision.

Jeremiah

The Direct installer is here now. The receiver he brought does not have a built in OTA tuner. We'll see what happens next.

I made the switch last Wednesday. I was a little worried at first, but once I programmed my Logitech remote to use with my HR21 the learning curve got considerably smaller. I think the picture quality on some of the channels is better than Dish. I watched Ultimate Fighter on SpikeHD and it was crystal clear. The biggest negative was calling to cancel my Dish service. Today was the last day of my 18-month contract. I read posts on the Dish board about what will happen when I canceled, but I did not believe it. Boy, was I wrong. The CSR was a total jerk. I told him I was switching to D* for increased HD and the AAA deal was going to save me a bunch. He called me a liar over the price and told me that Spike & FX were both in HD on E* and he watched them this morning. Now, I don't know what type of moron he thought I was, but the use of such lies and scare tactics is uncalled for. He tried to bully me into staying. Terrible.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts