Major Hopper flaw, Problems resuming & can't sync Same Program

goodwoody55

Original poster
Dec 15, 2005
Hopper does not allow you to pause a recorded program in one room and continue viewing where you paused in another room. This feature only works for live programming. Dish realizes this and makes no apology. Then why the DVR with huge hard drive? Does anyone watch live tv anymore? Very disappointing product with this glaring omission!!

I found this problem when we watched a recording of Survivor in our media room, and paused Hopper to continue viewing in dining room. Joey will only allow us to start the program from the beginning. Cannot resume.

Confirmed today this situation with executive at Dish. Was told: " We did not say you could use this feature with your recordings". Is this deceptive marketing ?

Loyal Dish subscriber for 14 years ! Buyer beware!

You are incorrect. And, whomever you spoke to at Dish is incorrect. I did it last night with a recording of Awake.

Not only that, if you were viewing the recording at different locations, and paused them at different points in those locations, you can choose which one you want to resume.

What if you stop it instead of pausing it, does it let you resume then? I guess to me it is not that big of a deal, I didn't even know you could pause live TV and go watch it else where, I'll have to give that a try.

Actually, I believe I may have stopped, not paused. But, the end result is the same. You can resume from the point where you stopped. And, if you stopped it on multiple receivers at different points, you choose which one you wish to resume.

GaryPen said:
Actually, I believe I may have stopped, not paused. But, the end result is the same. You can resume from the point where you stopped. And, if you stopped it on multiple receivers at different points, you choose which one you wish to resume.

I tried this out this morning too. Worked fine for me. Just make sure you press play on what you want to watch instead of pressing select.

GaryPen said:
If you press select, it gives you a choice of what to do, including resume. Pressing play just resumes.

You're right. I didn't think resume was in the options. Has this been added? I don't remember seeing it on the 922.

I thought you had to pick the same tuner that you were watching in the other room , on the Joey unit, to be able to resume it from the point you paused it. If not I would think that it would always show the shows from the dvr menu, from the beginning.

Yes. When you go to a different room you will have to press the red shortcut button and select the tuner with the recorded show. Ugh, what does that Dish guy think the purpose of this receiver is? I wish Dish fully educated their employees. Sometimes I feel there are a bunch of morons there. If they do not know the correct answer then they should not be telling customers anything.

I know I was playing around the other day and started a DVR program on a Hopper then switched to live TV. I went to a Joey and started the same program then switched to live TV. When I went back into the Hopper room to start the same program again it asked from which room's point in the program I wanted to start from. Perhaps a future update will make the same thing happen using the pause button instead of having to stop it.

Last edited:
Thank you. I picture honest errors, and malicious intent, both putting stuff out on the Internet just to mislead the casual into thinking there are flaws that may not even be there. Tarnish the brand, you know.

OK, some of you guys seem to be instant experts on hopper. Revise my question:
1. watching RECORDED program in one room, wife wants to continue watch in orginial room while I go to dining room to watch same program
2. pause program in orginial rm, start program in dining room
3. wife pushes play, I push play in dining room---result audio/video not together, cannot get insinc for two rooms.......no walls between rooms---sound from both rooms is intolerable.

open to your suggestion----costomer service says cannot solve.

1. watching RECORDED program in one room, wife wants to continue watch in orginial room while I go to dining room to watch same program
3. wife pushes play, I push play in dining room---result audio/video not together, cannot get insinc for two rooms.......no walls between rooms---sound from both rooms is intolerable.

I know what you're talking about. You are in fact watching the same program but there is a slight delay. I have noticed this in our showroom and in my own home. I'm not sure if they have a fix for it coming or if can't be fixed. There must be a delay sending the signal through the MoCA network.

Turn your head and watch the other screen - Solved!

Seriously though, as of right now I do not believe there is a way to do this. I do not think anyone designing the system thought someone would want to watch the same thing in sync between 2 rooms that do not have any walls between them. You will be in a very small minority in wanting to do this.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)