Manual recording

I have a hoppet and when I go to dishonline.com to add a manual timer with sirus channels it still shows the old channels 6000s.

At times I enjoy listening to the top 40 songs in a decade our maybe record an interview of an artist when I am at work.

It would be nice to not have to record an 8 hour block.

One thing that could be done is to display when the top 40 countdown is on.it plays at the same time multiple times throughout the weekend.

Another option is to have the option to stop a recording early. You can start to record a program early or extend the recording.

Here is my example of when I used a manual timer to record an event in the future. I typically spend the 2 weeks over the xmas/new years holidays away from home. I wanted to record one of the January 1 bowl games, including the pre- and post-game. I could have set up a Dish Pass timer based on the team in question, or the bowl name in question, setting up enough front and end padding to get what I wanted. But then I would have picked up the re-airings of prior bowl games that typically are shown in the days before the live event, and might have ran out of HDD space, or if I got too specific in the search term, I risked the chance of it not recording at all if the title or description wasn't as I expected it to be. So I set a manual timer for a 5 hour block to just get that live airing on the time and channel I knew it would be on.

Manual timers are a must for shows rescheduled on short notice where the guide won't be updated properly. For instance if a local sporting event preempts network programing.

There are more uses for the Manual Timers than even all the good ones suggested on this thread, and, among other uses, I use Manual Timer when I only want to record, say, the last 2 minutes of a show that was cut off, and I don't want or need the whole 1 or 2 hour show, just the last few minutes. That is using my limited HDD efficiently.

Dish Pass I often use for movies: just enter the title and MONTHS down the line, the DVR records that movie when it appears on the premiums, for example. Dish Pass timer also allows for DVR to record at the first available time when there are no conflicts and across all channels, as in HOB East and West and Signature or Showtime East and West and Beyond at the fist opportunity, just as one example.

I think the engineers at the meeting didn't fully appreciate how Manual Timers and DishPass make the Dish DVR's that much more compelling and pleasing to subs.

I can't imagine that this can't be fixed by a software roll out. It just depends upon if Dish really wants to do it. I think with Charlie, they would be pushed to do so, but I don't know Clayton's attitude on this matter.

The Hopper does have what used to be called Dish Pass. It is now called Seek & Record. Press the Search button, put in the title, then press the green button (or move the focus to the Seek & Record button and press Select). it will bring up a dialog that should be obvious how to use. One caveat is that after you create the Seek timer you can't edit it. DIRT member Matt G. indicated to me that editing is coming in the future.

If you have access to Dish Remote Access (not Dish Online), you can create manual timers (for me it does not work on Dish Online but does on DRA). Some people can get into DRA while others can't. I suspect that those who had not created a DRA account before Dish Online replaced it are the ones who can't get into it, but I don't know that for sure.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts