Many Sony TVs won't take a 1080p signal from XBox 360!

BobMurdoch

Playing XBoxOne SeriesX/Supporter
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Sep 12, 2003
Brielle, NJ
http://www.xboxic.com/news/1908

Sony strikes again. Their fervent anticopying stance bites consumers once again.... Many TVs from the XBR lines won't accept a 1080p signal from a component source. So unless MS comes up with a HDMI cable for XBox 360 quick, you'll be maxed at 1080i....

Uh BOB, most HDTV's will not except a 1080p signal thru the componet input. Where have you been the last 5 years?

It won't be too long until Microsoft releases an HDMI output for it's unit...
It will eventually happen... but till then.... How many 1080p games are there going to be?

Besides... I am going to be more intrested to see how many TV's have issues with the HDMI 1.3 on the PS3

Uh BOB, most HDTV's will not except a 1080p signal thru the componet input. Where have you been the last 5 years?

The last 5 years? Most stores in my area are just starting to get 1080p sets in quantity. I never heard of the limitation against 1080p through component... Anyone else hear this?

We all know that composite can't handle an HD signal. I've never heard anywhere that a component cable can't handle a 1080p signal. (Unless it is some industry agreement to only support connections through HDMI - which then begs the question,.... if MS doesn't offer an HDMI out cable yet for the 360, then NOBODY can see 1080p using your argument?)

It will be moot when HDCP gets M$. That's why they need to come up with an HDMI solution.

By the way, just to clarify, I don't hate everything Sony does. Every TV in my house is a Sony. I'm just banging the drum for them to stop making their products loaded with these gotchas. A 5 disc DVD changer I talked my father into getting in 2000 wound up being unable to play CD-Rs much less DVD-Rs, the BluRay discs won't play on standard DVD players like HD DVD can, the CD rootkit fiasco..etc. They constantly try and ram through these anti-consumer copyguard systems. I keep hoping that they wake up and start embracing more open systems. They aren't alone... Apple is guilty of the same arrogance with a lot of their products.

I'm hoping for BluRay to fail, because I think that the HD DVD design is more backwards compatible. Even with the larger capacity, BluRay just isn't as useful and user friendly (for both manufacturers and consumers) as HD DVD. It's Betamax all over again....

I only spun it against Sony because Google News, which sends me any news webpages that mention XBox, specifically mentioned Sony, and no others. I assumed it was isolated mostly to their units.

Apologies to all who felt I was unfairly targeting them.

Hey Bob, not your fault. We need to blame the movie studios. They are the ones that require that 1080p be done with HDCP. Currently that can only happen on HDTVs with DVi or HDMi. There are very few tvs that can do 1080p through componet. Most will only do that thru their digital ports.

On another note, why do you state that BluRay is not user friendly? I have played with both and they seem to be the same for the consumer. In fact, once the new Java controls come out this month for BluRay I think that the consumer is going to like them. Now if only Sony would bring out a $499 player BluRay player like Toshiba did? Hmmmm?;)

On another note, why do you state that BluRay is not user friendly? I have played with both and they seem to be the same for the consumer. In fact, once the new Java controls come out this month for BluRay I think that the consumer is going to like them. Now if only Sony would bring out a $499 player BluRay player like Toshiba did? Hmmmm?;)

I define "User Friendly" as having features that widen the "utility" (as the economists like to call it) for consumers by giving them increased flexability in its use. Although both systems utilize copy prevention, at least HD DVD comes with both an HD side and an SD one. This way, when I buy Superman Returns on HD DVD, I can watch him save the plane in pristine HD on my HD DVD player, but my kids can watch it on their portable SD DVD players on road trips. That is the main advantage I see, and it is a dealmaker for me and many others. My dad also uses "Bob's DVD Store" (our motto... Never a Late Charge), and it lets him watch these movies until such time as he upgrades as well...

THAT'S what I call more User Friendly.

Bob, you got me there. Having both the HD and SD versions on one disc is nice. That however does not make the BluRay less user friendly. If the HD-DVD camp wants to add a SD version to the disc that is all and well but those discs do not carry a Lossless Audio Codec on them. I would rather have the new audio codec on them. Just differant strokes for differant folks. I can not see the HD experiance half way. Spend the money on a good theater system and all you get is the picture upgrade without the sound and I feel that the product is only delivering half of what the true HD experiance can be. However, after say that, I can see your point though and it is well taken.

It just seems that consumers aren't ready to upgrade to a more expensive media just because of better quality, especially in an environment where two formats are competing (SACD - DVD Audio, for example).

We'll see. I'm betting on HD DVD, and as such hope my chosen format ultimately succeeds. I don't think we'll know though for at least a year...

Bob, I was just in Costco yesterday. A sweet 5.1 home theater system with HDMI in and out for $389. A very nice 32" Toshiba HDTV for $1199. That comes to $1588. Not alot of money for a HD home theater system. They had a 46" rear projection for $1400! They also had a 32" Vizio (not sure that's spelled right) for $899!. These prices are getting to mass market level. People now don't think twice about spending $500 to $800 on a good tv and now they can get an HDTV for that. And more and more folks are purchasing that inexpensive 5.1 systems for their homes before they get a HDTV. I think were are within two years of mass market reach with HDTVs and might already be there for 5.1 systems. I personally see both formats being successfull. There is just too much money going around.

My reasoning here is how many music formats are currently in play right now?
Vinyl is still very popular with audiophiles. CD's are rampant and the main stay. MP3S's have about taken over and what is with the IPOD's? I can remember when the only way you could get music if it was not live was thru the radio or Vinyl.

Surely two or three or four formats of movies can live in the current market. We have always had two or three formats running around for years. Ah technology- ain't it great.

My new Toshiba 62MX196 DLP won't take 1080p over component video either.

The only way most TV's will is either HDMI or VGA, and there is a VGA adapter for the 360.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)