Mapdown channels causing double recordings, fix?

Giant25

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Mar 26, 2008
I have an NHL Center Ice Package and I like to record San Jose Sharks games. My Dish Pass is set up to record " SJ" events, which is always in the description of the home feed for the games. It has been working great for years, except for one problem. The game will show up twice in my DVR recordings, once on a channel in the 600's and again on the same channel in the 9000's. I understand that it's a mapdown of the same channel, but I'm trying to figure out if there's a way to force one recording without manually skipping one of the two events (which is what I do now for each game). I could probably make a Dish Pass and limit the recording to a specific channel, but then I have to make 15+ Dish Pass events because the games could be on any one of the NHL CI channels. Any help would be appreciated.

I wonder if setting up locks for the 9000 channel numbers and hiding them would help. Then it wouldnt show in the guide (just the 9000 version) and shouldnt show on any searches

menu
5 locks
select channels to be locked out
then "hide locked"
set a password to complete

No, Ice, I tried that...the scheduled recordings on the hidden/locked channels just say "Hidden Event" or something like that, but still records. Then you have the added step of having to enter the password to either delete the recording if it already recorded or skipping the event if it hasn't recorded yet.

I tried several scenarios, I can't get a Dish Pass to record the exact same program on more than one channel at the same time. I picked all episodes, all channels. I pick a program in the guide on the mapdown HD USA channel.(105)
If I lock out the higher channel of USA, it does not appear in the schedule of events to record. The SD channel does, as a duplicate and would not record. If I unlock the higher USA channel, it shows up as duplicate event and would not record along with the SD channel.
There is no way on my receiver (612) that a locked out channel ever shows up in any way.

I can only think there is some anomaly with the NHL package. Is the game in the guide in advance, or does it get added a day or two before the game? I'm thinking maybe it gets confused because of the late addition to the guide? But that would not explain a locked out channel showing up.
But I do have a question. Are you sure you are actually locking out the higher channel AND the system is locked? Meaning, if you pick the guide "all Channels" it does not show up?

Last edited:
Yes, channel locked, hidden, and system locked...

The anomaly is that the NHL package and other sporting events do not show as the same exact title name on different channels, so it doesn't see it as a duplicate. Also, if a listing shows up as "N/A" in the episode number or last air date, it won't know that the title is a duplicate either, or "Exists in DVR".

For instance...my daughter's timer for "Penguins of Madagascar" shows as duplicate on the other multiple timer events, because the episode number is filled in. But my wife's timer for "100,000 Pyramid" on GSN attempts to record both the SD and HD versions, because the episode number is "N/A" and the air date just says "1991". I got around the GSN problem by setting the timer to only record the SD version.

Last edited:
Yes, channel locked, hidden, and system locked...

The anomaly is that the NHL package and other sporting events do not show as the same exact title name on different channels, so it doesn't see it as a duplicate. Also, if a listing shows up as "N/A" in the episode number or last air date, it won't know that the title is a duplicate either, or "Exists in DVR".

For instance...my daughter's timer for "Penguins of Madagascar" shows as duplicate on the other multiple timer events, because the episode number is filled in. But my wife's timer for "100,000 Pyramid" on GSN attempts to record both the SD and HD versions, because the episode number is "N/A" and the air date just says "1991".

All that is understandable, happens with any recording mode. But I can not understand how a locked out channel is being recorded. It sounds like it is hidden, not locked out. I just don't think a truly locked out channel could show up as being recorded, and then be able to be unlock the recording. That is how a hidden channel works.

On my receiver menu - Locks, then the unlock the code, then channel locks. In that list either lock or not lock a channel. Then back out and make sure the menu says the system is locked. Anything else is not locking it including if you have hidden it.

Last edited:
All that is understandable, happens with any recording mode. But I can not understand how a locked out channel is being recorded. It sounds like it is hidden, not locked out. I just don't think a truly locked out channel could show up as being recorded, and then be able to be unlock the recording. That is how a hidden channel works.
I just did it on one of my local channels (not the map down). The upcoming scheduled timer on that channel shows as "Locked Event". If I hit info on that event, I need to enter a password to view/modify it. Maybe if I create a new timer after the channel is locked then it wouldn't search it.

Well Ice, that was a clever thought. I was amazed Dare had already tried it. Any other ideas?

Ok, so far I believe I have determined that:

1. If a dish pass (all channels) timer is already set, and then you lock a channel (and the system), any events on that locked channel will show up as "locked event" and will record.
2. If the channel is locked (and system is locked) before the dish pass timer is created, then that channel will not be searched by the dish pass timer.

This is good news, except I have a ton of dish pass timers I need to rebuild... :(

Well that is good news. I know a locked channel can not even be picked inside Dish Pass, it comes back as invalid. I am surprised even a channel locked after the timer is made would show up.

Thinking about this more, I think this is a great feature. I can choose which timers I want to ignore locked channels or if I want to set a timer on a locked channel (like an adult channel :rolleyes:), all I have to do is unlock the system before I create the timer, and then lock it again.

Awesome, it worked. I deleted my existing Dish Pass timer, locked the 9000 numbered NHL channels, hid them, locked system, set a password, then made my new Dish Pass timers. I did notice that I had to set the Resolution to HD only so SD games weren't recorded too. Thanks so much for solving something that has bothered me for years!

You're welcome, Giant. Thanks Ice too, I had the same theory and tried this months ago and gave up...the missing part being the creation of the timer after the channels had been locked down.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)