Mario Party 8

Neutron

Founding Supporter
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Nov 7, 2003
Texas
Anyone else getting this game?

It's supposed to release today, but the Gamestop I reserved it at said they don't get their shipment in until tomorrow.

So much for reserving it.

I plan on picking it up for the kids within the next couple of days. Mario Party has always been a game that they love to play.

BestBuy.com shows the release date as tomorrow (5/30) also.

That is correct. I saw the BB and CC ads show that they should have it by 2pm on Wednesday. CC will give you a $20 gift card if it is not in the store by 2pm.

Gamestop had 5/29 as the release date as well.

CC also has MP8 on sale this week for $39.99. Take the AD and try to get it price matched. Don't know if Game Stop price matches but it is worth a shot.

I was thinking of getting it but the review have not been very good. Its also not in 16x9.

I am going to pass on this one. I refuse to support any games that don't run in widescreen.

Also, as minorthr said, the reviews have been pretty bad:

IGN: 5.2/10
All of our complaints about previous games – the slow pace, the lackluster single-player affair, the loose attention to detail – all remain and with Mario Party 8 we can add another criticism: ignorance of the Wii remote.

GameSpot: 6.5/10
The Good: Plenty of minigames; some inventive boards.
The Bad: GameCube-caliber graphics; spotty widescreen support; chance still plays too large a role.

1up: 6.4/10
Mario Party 8 could've used a lot more of that creativity, however, throughout the whole game. Instead, we get a really disappointing (but, as mentioned at the start of this review, inevitably still entertaining) Wii debut for the series. Perhaps the next game will truly take advantage of the Wii controls through and through.

GamePro: 4.5/5
Pros: Yet another dose of the sweet and simple Mario Party fun that everyone knows and loves.
Cons: Games seem to be decided more by pure chance than skill. Things can get a little boring in between turns.

AdvancedMN: 4.5/10
It’s Mario Party – but the mini-games feel thrown together, lacking any kind of inspiration. The number of maps/game boards is a bit low.

Nintendo Power: 7.5/10

I think I will pass on this one and get Super Paper Mario.

I am going to pass on this one. I refuse to support any games that don't run in widescreen.

Also, as minorthr said, the reviews have been pretty bad:

IGN: 5.2/10
All of our complaints about previous games – the slow pace, the lackluster single-player affair, the loose attention to detail – all remain and with Mario Party 8 we can add another criticism: ignorance of the Wii remote.

GameSpot: 6.5/10
The Good: Plenty of minigames; some inventive boards.
The Bad: GameCube-caliber graphics; spotty widescreen support; chance still plays too large a role.

1up: 6.4/10
Mario Party 8 could've used a lot more of that creativity, however, throughout the whole game. Instead, we get a really disappointing (but, as mentioned at the start of this review, inevitably still entertaining) Wii debut for the series. Perhaps the next game will truly take advantage of the Wii controls through and through.

GamePro: 4.5/5
Pros: Yet another dose of the sweet and simple Mario Party fun that everyone knows and loves.
Cons: Games seem to be decided more by pure chance than skill. Things can get a little boring in between turns.

AdvancedMN: 4.5/10
It’s Mario Party – but the mini-games feel thrown together, lacking any kind of inspiration. The number of maps/game boards is a bit low.

Nintendo Power: 7.5/10

I was worried about all the bad reviews too, so I rented MP8 today. My 7 year old son and his 7 year old cousin absolutely love it. In the end, that's all that really matters to me.

The game is not as bad as the reviews. I purchased it for my daughters and they all love it. Is it next gen graphics, no but that does not seem to matter to them.

Game is great...my kids, old enough to have 1 through 7 loved those, this one as well....all the concentration on the graphics is ridiculous. I played with them last nmight...it's a blast. The review blows....

I have it as well. Awesome multiplayer for sure. Graphics don't mean that much to me since I have a PC for those games.

I bought MP8 and it is fun! What do you expect? We all know that the Wii doesn't pack that much of a punch, but it is fun. Playing by yourself is a no no, but with a group of friends and a couple of drinks this game is great. I would give it an 8 out of 10. So 7.5 isn't way off.

We were cursing at the one COM player we had playing with us last night.

Dude gets the Thrice Candy and ends up getting 27 total. We use the same candy and get 13 or so.... :)

Go it at Costco, 34 dollars. Kids love it, I could care less. As games for the Wii go I thought the graphics were good. I use component as my connection.

Go it at Costco, 34 dollars. Kids love it, I could care less. As games for the Wii go I thought the graphics were good. I use component as my connection.

Yeah most of the ones I have seen, look decent.

PS3 / PSP combo owners - what's your experience been?

Microsoft to add 2nd HEATSINK to 360's

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)