Mark Kotsay traded to Red Sox?

BillD1984

SatelliteGuys Master
Original poster
Apr 9, 2008
MA
Buster Olney and Peter Gammons are reporting a deal is imminent. Kotsay was pulled from the Braves starting lineup tonight.

Too bad it was Kotsay and not a relief pitcher. For my Mets, we could really use a reliever.

Mets,
Red Sox could use another reliable middle guy also. It seems to be the trend around MLB this year.

I know, tell me about it. There doesn't seem to be any good bullpen help at all. I should know. I've never seen a bullpen like the Mets as evident by BLOWING A 7-0 lead against the Phillies tonight.

I know, tell me about it. There doesn't seem to be any good bullpen help at all. I should know. I've never seen a bullpen like the Mets as evident by BLOWING A 7-0 lead against the Phillies tonight.

I know, it's a shame, you guys really miss Billy Wagner. Hang in there though, like I've said before, the NL is wide open this year. :)

Wagner can't come back fast enough. Although, if he was in this game, he'd probably blow it because he blew a game in Philly a couple of months ago.

It looks like this is pretty much a done deal. I expect the Sox to rotate Kotsay, Ellsbury, and Crisp between centerfield and rightfield- at least until Drew comes back (hopefully he does come back). Jason Bay, of course, will play everyday in leftfield. Anyway, good move for the Red Sox, they needed the added depth going down the stretch.

This is from Ken Rosenthal this morning:

The Red Sox have acquired Kotsay for a mid-level prospect, according to major-league sources. The player headed to Atlanta hasn't been identified yet.
To complete the deal, Kotsay waived his no-trade clause for the Red Sox, one of eight teams on his no-trade list according to his contract.
Kotsay will receive a $325,000 assignment bonus for waiving his no-trade protection.
Kotsay was drawing interest from the Phillies, too, according to major-league sources.
Both teams are dealing with injuries to left-handed hitting outfielders.
The Red Sox on Tuesday placed right fielder J.D. Drew on the disabled list. Drew, suffering from a back problem, had missed Boston's previous six games.
The Red Sox's attempt to acquire the Padres' Brian Giles, another left-handed hitting outfielder, collapsed earlier this month when Giles invoked his no-trade clause to Boston.
Kotsay, who turns 33 on Dec. 2, has been hot in August, posting an .856 on-base/slugging percentage, his highest of any month this season.
Boston assumes the balance of his $8 million salary, which would amount to slightly more than $1.5 million.
The Braves did not plan to offer salary arbitration to Kotsay, who is a free agent at the end of the season.
Kotsay missed all of June due to a lower back strain, but since then has appeared in 40 of the Braves' 48 games. For the season, he is batting .289 with a .338 on-base percentage, six home runs and 37 RBIs in 344 plate appearances.

As both a fan of the Braves and Kotsay a good move for all involved parties.

Braves get a low level prospect with some upside. Kotsay gets to play down the stretch in a "pennant race".

Red Sox get a thoroughly professional player both on and off the field.

Good pickup for the Sox. Kotsay has really played well as of late.

Bill, can you control the excitement at the thought of Jamie Kotsay in the same city as Gisele?

Looks like that town may not be enough for both of those sexy sports wives.

Kotsay will arrive at Yankee Stadium before the start of tonight's game, but he is not in the starting lineup.

If the Red Sox have a injury, they just throw money at the wound and buy a new player to help mend it. Simply amazing how many dollars are being thrown around this year prior to the playoffs. Must be nice to be able to afford to do such things... ;)

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts