MASN2 Question (Uplink Related?)

HanoverPretzel

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Oct 6, 2006
I had an issue September 12 with the MASN2 feed cutting in and out while watching the Orioles game. The video signal would "freeze" for a few seconds on a still image with the audio cut out completely, and then the game would resume. Rinse and repeat. Didn't seem to happen during commercial breaks.

Anyhow, I guess the baseball games I've watched since have been on the regular MASN (MASN1 if you will), so I haven't had an opportunity to see if MASN2 is still having issues (It's a part-time channel that only broadcasts games and pre/post game shows). No problems watching a rerun of an Orioles game late last night for a few innings- but it was on regular MASN.

I just noticed this technical note from the day before I was having MASN2 troubles posted to this forum and was wondering if it could be related:

"Channel Moves:
5433 - MASN2 [MPEG4 HD] moved from Ciel-2 129W TP 25 ConUS beam to Ciel-2 129W TP 26 ConUS beam (Mid-Atlantic Sports Network) (A) (H)
5433 - MASN2 [MPEG4 HD] moved from Nimiq5 72.7W TP 08 ConUS beam to Nimiq5 72.7W TP 10 ConUS beam (Mid-Atlantic Sports Network) (A) (H)"

(From http://www.satelliteguys.us/threads/291938-9-11-2012-6-32am-Uplink-Activity-Report-2-changes )

What do you guys think? In case it makes a difference, I'll note here that I'm getting the SD feed because of SD equipment.

Is this likely to be a continuing issue? If so, how do I get it fixed before the O's are on MASN2 again? We're in the middle of a pennant race here. ;)

Last edited:
Just found this on Facebook (I don't have an account, but this was publicly viewable):

"Dish Network is experiencing technical problems with the MASN2 Orioles game. They are aware and working to correct the problem as soon as possible. For assistance, please contact Dish Network customer service."

https://www.facebook.com/BaltimoreMediaBlog/posts/184199948371965?_fb_noscript=1

I guess that explains that. :)

that uplink move is the daily moves of the RSN channels. Since dish doesnt carry the RSN's in HD full time they shuffle then around between a couple transponders. One transponder has the slate...the other actually will have the programming

Normally these moves arent shown daily....but since MASN/MASN2 is a new RSN on dish (in HD) the "filter" that the uplink uses hasnt put that in there yet.

FYI, MASN and MASN2 HD are moved to different transponders almost daily. They share with most of the MLB team's RSNs a limited group of transponders that are reassigned depending on the day's MLB schedules. Sept 12, the O's were home so I can't be certain but it could have been the feed from MASN to Dish, not necessarily the Dish satellite feed to you. Also the feed from the yards to MASN could be at fault but that would be more universal and everybody would be screaming. It's hard to say. Stuff happens. Dodgers telecast late yesterday had a problem with the graphics and the scoreboard generator in the truck at the stadium. It's amazing how we've become accustomed to that constant score with count, etc on the screen. I was lost without that reference.

Dodgers telecast late yesterday had a problem with the graphics and the scoreboard generator in the truck at the stadium. It's amazing how we've become accustomed to that constant score with count, etc on the screen. I was lost without that reference.

Yeah, it's hard to imagine watching baseball without the graphics displaying the inning, balls, score, strikes, outs, and runners on base anymore. It seems like an awful lot of have to mentally keep track of. ;) I'm honestly not sure how we used to manage it. One thing that occurs to me is that the style of announcing has probably changed- the tv guys probably used to give the balls, strikes, outs, score, innings, etc. out more often verbally like they do on the radio (i.e. "If you're just tuning in, or went to the kitchen for a snack, the score is Orioles 10 Yankees 1, with two on and two out here in the bottom of the 7th inning."). I also vaguely remember that they'd frequently flip from camera to camera to show you multiple guys on base a lot when it occurred- so like you'd be staring at a quick shot of Brady Anderson on third, followed by Cal Ripken on second, off to Randy Milligan on first base (I'm trying to make these players contemporaneous to right before the graphics came into vogue, but I could be off by a few years), and then the camera would go back to the batter/pitcher view in time for the next pitch and they'd repeat that a lot.

Yeah, it's hard to imagine watching baseball without the graphics displaying the inning, balls, score, strikes, outs, and runners on base anymore. It seems like an awful lot of have to mentally keep track of. ;) I'm honestly not sure how we used to manage it. One thing that occurs to me is that the style of announcing has probably changed- the tv guys probably used to give the balls, strikes, outs, score, innings, etc. out more often verbally like they do on the radio (i.e. "If you're just tuning in, or went to the kitchen for a snack, the score is Orioles 10 Yankees 1, with two on and two out here in the bottom of the 7th inning."). I also vaguely remember that they'd frequently flip from camera to camera to show you multiple guys on base a lot when it occurred- so like you'd be staring at a quick shot of Brady Anderson on third, followed by Cal Ripken on second, off to Randy Milligan on first base (I'm trying to make these players contemporaneous to right before the graphics came into vogue, but I could be off by a few years), and then the camera would go back to the batter/pitcher view in time for the next pitch and they'd repeat that a lot.

I did have Vin Scully doing a bit more radio like pbp while it was happening. You can be grateful for Joe Angel on your radio side too. He's one of the really good ones.

Try this one on for size. Last year the Angels radio guy lost his voice with no time to get a replacement. They simulcast the TV audio on radio with NO appreciation of the situation. The radio commentary was TV without pictures. It was awful!

I did have Vin Scully doing a bit more radio like pbp while it was happening. You can be grateful for Joe Angel on your radio side too. He's one of the really good ones.

That's true. I don't listen to baseball much on the radio these days, but I've always liked Joe Angel. I particularly remember him from his first go-round with the Orioles (Before becoming a Marlins radio guy and then returning to the Orioles radio network).

Try this one on for size. Last year the Angels radio guy lost his voice with no time to get a replacement. They simulcast the TV audio on radio with NO appreciation of the situation. The radio commentary was TV without pictures. It was awful!

The Ravens preseason games that aren't televised nationally these days are done as a simulcast between local TV and radio with the same announcers (The guys who normally do radio). I watch on television, but I can't help but make the observation that if I were listening on radio, I'd be utterly lost. They really need to be much more consistently descriptive. I hope the announcers are better at that during the regular season when they're only on radio, at least! :)

that uplink move is the daily moves of the RSN channels. Since dish doesnt carry the RSN's in HD full time they shuffle then around between a couple transponders. One transponder has the slate...the other actually will have the programming

Normally these moves arent shown daily....but since MASN/MASN2 is a new RSN on dish (in HD) the "filter" that the uplink uses hasnt put that in there yet.

Thank you for explaining that. I was wondering why it showed in the uplinks every couple of days.