Massive DirecTV snow failure

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

JEFFinINDY

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jul 31, 2004
Indianapolis, IN
It's snowing! Big, wet, sticky flakes!

But, my satellite dish is now covered in snow and it's up so high that I can't reach it to brush it off. I have an AM-21 connected, and that was working for awhile, but then it stopped working due to the "searching for signal" error messages from the HR44. So much for football OTA today.

Next, I thought I'd catch up on my recorded shows. I was able to watch one 30 minute show, but after that now the receiver is saying my service isn't active (error code 750). WTF? Am I truly going to be without any TV service until after the snow melts, or until I get off my couch and plug the OTA directly into the TV?

Does anyone know a way to fix this before I begin the no-to-easy task of changing cables around? Has nobody at DirecTV simulated a snow storm with their equipment?

as for the other issues yes when watching the DVR if there is no signal for 10 minutes or more the HR34 (dont know if the 44 is the same way) will reboot and try to find the signal

When I lived in the house and had snow issues I'd have to clean the dish. Here at the apt complex I can't as its on the roof. But I'll let ya know...that heavy wet snow sucks. Kills the signal instantly. Ya gonna have to clean the dish off somehow

I got a lot of it cleared away with a garden hose, but I only get SD now. I'm guessing there's something still up there.

EDIT: The HD has come back after 20 minutes...

That don't seem right trying to clear snow with a garden hose in a really sub-zero cold weather, unless it was kept indoors, but even then is not safe spraying that high up unless you want loose icicles hitting you, but what do I know :)

That don't seem right trying to clear snow with a garden hose in a really sub-zero cold weather, unless it was kept indoors, but even then is not safe spraying that high up unless you want loose icicles hitting you, but what do I know :)
You're right,
Folks always try it once.
Joe

disconnect your antenna cable from your AM21 and connect it to the antenna jack on your TV... Change the input setting on the TV to antenna (or TV, or Cable, whichever its labeled) and watch OTA broadcasts.

Last time we had the wet stuff, I got up on the six foot ladder, and used the Pump up Pressure sprayer with Hot water in it, and sprayed off the Ice that built up on mine. Mine is just high enough on the garage, that I can reach up with a broom and swipe the snow off of it.

We got lucky with the snow yesterday when it came through, that it was blowing from the North, so it did not build up on the dish. Of course it was more dry then wet.

Has nobody at DirecTV simulated a snow storm with their equipment?
Yes DirecTV knows this happens. They have a lab, and also know that most people will mount the dish low enough, to knock it off it it builds up. If the dish has to be mounted up higher, the installers should suggest the heaters to go on the unit, before they install them.

Some people look at it as a upsale that is not needed. But sometimes for the price, it is worth it. Cheaper to use a heater, then get laid up, trying to clean the dish off, while standing on a ladder in icy conditions.

I was debating calling a buddy out at the local airport, and get a gallon of the Deicing fluid that is used for Plane Deicing and using that to clean the Ice off of the dish the past week.

It's snowing! Big, wet, sticky flakes!

But, my satellite dish is now covered in snow and it's up so high that I can't reach it to brush it off. I have an AM-21 connected, and that was working for awhile, but then it stopped working due to the "searching for signal" error messages from the HR44. So much for football OTA today.

Next, I thought I'd catch up on my recorded shows. I was able to watch one 30 minute show, but after that now the receiver is saying my service isn't active (error code 750). WTF? Am I truly going to be without any TV service until after the snow melts, or until I get off my couch and plug the OTA directly into the TV?

Does anyone know a way to fix this before I begin the no-to-easy task of changing cables around? Has nobody at DirecTV simulated a snow storm with their equipment?

It's the WET snow thats killing you ...

I've had the same snow your getting, a few days ago we had the slushy snow, but mine never went out ...
Was watching my Dads and his dish was covered and he hasn't lost signal either.

Yes, there are solutions to this if your in an area that has this issue alot .... look at getting a Dish Heater .... they work well.

as for the other issues yes when watching the DVR if there is no signal for 10 minutes or more the HR34 (dont know if the 44 is the same way) will reboot and try to find the signal

When I lived in the house and had snow issues I'd have to clean the dish. Here at the apt complex I can't as its on the roof. But I'll let ya know...that heavy wet snow sucks. Kills the signal instantly. Ya gonna have to clean the dish off somehow
That sounds both aggrivating AND unnecessary.

The temp was still ~31 F at the time... the water was enough to melt the accumulation off before the super cold air hit a few hours later. I'll have to look up dish heaters. This happened last Spring too during March Madness.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts