Massive Oil Deposit Could Increase US reserves by 10x

Status
Not open for further replies.
I call BS. Obviously not an objective news story. And the website is supported by Google ads selling oil and gas leases in North Dakota.

FWIW that one article is not the only place that you will find discussion of the potential of the Bakken Formation. But that potential is unproven and we would share this with Canada----the map in that article is deceptive.

But I agree tha tthe other forum clearly hasa political ax to grind. But do your homework. in the end we will have to wait for USGS to do theirs but I would not either accept or reject this out of hand.

I call BS. Obviously not an objective news story. And the website is supported by Google ads selling oil and gas leases in North Dakota.
Maybe not BS. There are other sources for this story. However, we are talking about oil shale. Bismarck Tribune - North Dakota News - North Dakota may be bigger oil player than Alaska
Leigh Price, a scientist with the U.S. Geological Survey, published a study in 1999 that estimates the Bakken shales formation, which underlies much of several western and northwestern counties, may hold up to 400 billion barrels of oil.

By comparison, the Arctic refuge oil reserve is estimated at 16 billion barrels.

Now, Sen. Byron Dorgan, D-N.D., is pushing the federal agency to complete scientific work on Price’s paper as part of a national inventory of the nation’s oil resources.

The Bakken formation is being developed to some extent in North Dakota, but with better success so far on the Montana side of the formation.

Recently, Marathon Oil, a major national and international oil developer, acquired 200,000 mineral acres from Billings to McKenzie counties and plans to drill as many as 300 wells into the Bakken in the next five years.
USGS Professional Paper 1653: Diagenesis and Fracture Development in the Bakken Formation, Williston Basin: Implications for Reservoir Quality in the Middle Member
http://www.nd.gov/ndic/ic-press/bakken-form-06.pdf
Bakken Oil Formation Discussed at EERC - AOL Video

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)