Mast clamp question

mcasdorph

SatelliteGuys Guru
Original poster
Mar 28, 2012
WV, USA
I set a piece of fence pipe (measured 2-1/4" dia, If I remember right) in concrete the other day and I only had one clamp that was kinda damaged, I was trying to figure out what size clamps to buy online and make sure they fit the mast, can someone tell me what the standard size clamps that fit the mast?

Sorry, I wasn't more specific, I meant the foot part of it.
IMG_20170818_113313.jpg

My pipe seems to have an OD of 2-3/8, I also put a hose clamp below it, but that is not going to work. Are most u bolts wide enough to go through these holes or should it be specific size? I've never bought u bolts outside of muffler clamps..lol, I'm not sure what I'm looking for.

Sorry, I wasn't more specific, I meant the foot part of it.
View attachment 127809

My pipe seems to have an OD of 2-3/8, I also put a hose clamp below it, but that is not going to work. Are most u bolts wide enough to go through these holes or should it be specific size? I've never bought u bolts outside of muffler clamps..lol, I'm not sure what I'm looking for.
Buy some muffler clamps that will fit your pipe. You can drill holes in the foot.

Reactions: mcasdorph
Buy a piece of threadstock at the hardware store and bend it to fit.
I did think about that as an option, but wouldn't it try to slip without the part with the teeth?

Buy some muffler clamps that will fit your pipe. You can drill holes in the foot.
I might have an old muffler clamp somewhere if it would fit around this pipe. Never once thought about drilling new holes to fit..lol, that should have come to mind, but I've been sleeping like crap lately..lol, minds foggy..lol

Just to to Lowes and tell them the diameter of the pipe and they will sell you the right size clamp with teeth.

Just to to Lowes and tell them the diameter of the pipe and they will sell you the right size clamp with teeth.
Lowes is 30 miles to the closest store, I would probably be better off just finding a muffler clamp and cut some rigid teeth into that with a hacksaw..lol.

mcasdorph I have heavy duty clamps laying around. I think they would perfectly fit to your needs. Do you need them? View attachment 127828
Your location is Riga? Distance and customs would be a hassle..lol, I love the rugged look of those clamps tho. Nah, keep them.

Nothing to do with custos when sending used stuff like those clamps. And distance is not problem..... Postal service take care of delivery. But up to you.

Lowes is 30 miles to the closest store, I would probably be better off just finding a muffler clamp and cut some rigid teeth into that with a hacksaw..lol.

Your location is Riga? Distance and customs would be a hassle..lol, I love the rugged look of those clamps tho. Nah, keep them.
If your worried about the foot spinning after it is clamped in place get a 1/4x20 3-3 1/2 inch bolt and put it through the foot and pipe after everything is aligned. The pole would have to move before the foot would spin.

I found a muffler clamp, well part of one, it fits the pipe, just doesn't have the Ubolt part, I found a couple bolts that will work tho, have to drill new holes but it should work alright.

If your worried about the foot spinning after it is clamped in place get a 1/4x20 3-3 1/2 inch bolt and put it through the foot and pipe after everything is aligned. The pole would have to move before the foot would spin.

Good idea

A dumb question to the OP...why didn't you just use 1 7/8 pipe, then you could just mount the dish directly on it, w/out having to go thru all this other stuff & which is the way most installers put dishes on in-ground pipe??? (which is why boba mentioned the OD size in his post...)

As far as pipe clamps, this is really the proper way to go & it fits the mounting holes in the mast foot like the ones you have in your pic: (they sell these at many places online)
Winegard U-Bolt Kit for WGDDS2000-DS-2002 - The Home Depot

Remove the foot and cut the 1-5/8" DISH mast down to the longest straight piece possible. Slide it inside your 2-1/2" post and secure it using several self taping screws. Done deal.

I am less than 1 mile from a Walmart and a Lowes. How can anyone exist without a big box store within a mile of their home.:biggrin

Aww, order from Amazon. They have everything and free two day shipping with Prime.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)