Masters in 4K

inazsully

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Feb 15, 2010
Sun City West, AZ
I just saw an ad on ESPN touting that the Masters will be available in 4K on DirectV. I wonder if any special equipment from "D" will be required. Sure wish I could get it on my Hopper.

very good time to talk about what will dish conterpoint what directv adding three new 4k channels lineup right now even through they are in testing right now.

Reactions: charlesrshell
very good time to talk about what will dish conterpoint what directv adding three new 4k channels lineup right now even through they are in testing right now.

One linear full time channel (no real description of content yet), one VOD, and one special events. You need a high end package for anything other than VOD.

I've often wondered how the satcasters are going to deliver 4K when they can't even deliver 1080p. What am I missing?
Actually the satellite companies do deliver 1080P. It is available for PPV movies. Nobody is broadcasting in 1080P, that being the networks, premium channels, etc, so there is little need to go across the board.

I've often wondered how the satcasters are going to deliver 4K when they can't even deliver 1080p. What am I missing?
They are not. I don't see any of them bothering to once again pay for all new cameras, screens etc after the last big push towards HD in the last decade. Most people are not even watching tv on tvs and are watching on phones, tablets and computer screens. The screen can be in 4k and they can upconvert the picture to 4k resolutions from an hd picture. I just don't think that 4k will be the norm and we will be on to 8k resolutions before the end of this decade. 4k and 8k are just ways to sell new tvs to unsuspecting customers , who think that everything will look better in the latest resolutions. Remember in the 90s 480p was the rage for dvds and then it was hd 720p/1080i in the last decade . Then it was 1080p tvs early in this decade and now 4k. It is nothing more than a gimmick to sell new tvs to customers and a way to get older customers to upgrade in hopes of getting a better tv with the latest perks.

Reactions: charlesrshell
Remember in the 90s 480p was the rage for dvds and then it was hd 720p/1080i in the last decade . Then it was 1080p tvs early in this decade and now 4k. It is nothing more than a gimmick to sell new tvs to customers and a way to get older customers to upgrade in hopes of getting a better tv with the latest perks.

All you need is just a 12" B&W set for a picture, right? This TV stuff is just a fad anyways...it'll never catch on. ;)

Then it was 1080p tvs early in this decade and now 4k. It is nothing more than a gimmick to sell new tvs to customers and a way to get older customers to upgrade in hopes of getting a better tv with the latest perks.

The gimmick worked on me, the picture is so much better, after I received my new set I did a test, Episode 1 of the The Blacklist 1080P on Vudu vs. the same episode on Netflix in 4K, not even close, even up converted 1080P did not match how nice the picture looked in real 4K.

And I have posted this before, providers and broadcasters are really falling behind online providers, Netflix alone will have 400-500 hours in 4K this year (roughly 40 new and returning Netflix original series, most at 13 episodes each, new and older movies, other TV shows from different cable channels like Better Call Saul and others and a 3 night a week talk show), then we have the shows from Amazon and movies from Vudu.

Compared to what I get from Comcast (nothing) online is where 4K is thriving

Reactions: BBruin66
First series I got into once I got my 4K TV was The Man in the High Castle on Amazon Prime...4K w/ HDR was spectacular.

All you need is just a 12" B&W set for a picture, right? This TV stuff is just a fad anyways...it'll never catch on. ;)
MY point is that if you are happy with hd that is available now , then why would you need to upgrade to 4k ,especially if there is virtually nothing in 4k by broadcasters? Yes, some is available from Netflix ,but there really is not much out there. I remember when 3-d was all that there was going to be about 5 years ago. Now it is dead. I wouldn't upgrade again to 4k unless there was nothing else out there and I really needed a new tv. I just bought a perfectly good hd tv a year ago. When it is dead and gone , I will look at what ever is out there at that time , and not a second sooner. I'm betting that 8k will be all the rage in less than 5 years and 4k will be another faded media option. The point being that there will ALWAYS be something newer out there to try to stir the interest of the buying public to buy something NEW. That is what keeps the economy going : the consumer.

There is 4k programming out there. However, for us with slow internet and no availability of anything faster coming, we have to hope that Dish makes available some 4k satellite delivered channels. Why build a 4k Hopper and Joey and then only deliver streaming 4k. It is cheaper to get Netflix and Amazon Prime for those with ample internet speeds. 4k BluRay players are coming also to help avoid the Satellite and Cable networks who do not deliver 4k. Now we read that Direct TV has a dedicated 4k 7.1 audio satellite delivered channel and will broadcast the Masters on it. So again the Dish HW side is at the state of the art and the programming delivery side is behind the curve. Direct TV also had 3D channels until that faded away. They try to be state of the art . Dish programming just flounders to be mundane.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)