Max coaxial length from dish to receiver for hd

baxdoc

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Apr 12, 2008
NW Washington
Wanted to upgrade from sd to hd and had Installer comeout. He wouldn't do anything because my dish is mounted on the roof and he would not get on the roof, it's about a 4/12 pitch! :mad: So if I want to upgrade I need to move the dish so that it can be serviced. He also tried to talk me out of the hd because the 129 sat has issues and advised me to wait. Long story, but I need to know how long a run I can have from the dish to the receiver without amping or adding anything to the line so that I have good signal strength. I did a search but could not find anything.

Thanks in advance.

The max from dish to receiver is 200 ft. for Dish Pro. All new installations are using Dish Pro equipment. You could probably get by with 225 ft. but I wouldn't push it.

How about a ground pole mount. Is there a particular diameter that can be used? Is there a height restriction on ground pole mounting?

A dish 500 mast diameter is 1 5/8". I don't really know how high you can go but I would think anything over 6 ft. will be too high. Maybe an installer can answer that one better.

A dish 500 mast diameter is 1 5/8". I don't really know how high you can go but I would think anything over 6 ft. will be too high. Maybe an installer can answer that one better.

6-8 feet max. 8 ft is pushing it. You don't want the wind to flex the pole so that the dish sways and you lose signal. Also, minimum of 2 ft down, and 2 bags of concrete.

Thanks everyone for the feedback. I need to cut some trees down and proceed from there. How simple are the new hd dishes and cable runs to do. I did my original dish 500, but am not sure if the newer dishes and receivers as straight forward.

I have a pole mount here in Alaska, one for 119, one for 110. They are about 6' tall and I am running about 175' to my house with DP equipment. Everything works fine. I have never done anything different for HD than I did for SD.

Thanks everyone for the feedback. I need to cut some trees down and proceed from there. How simple are the new hd dishes and cable runs to do. I did my original dish 500, but am not sure if the newer dishes and receivers as straight forward.

if you are using a Dish 1000 or Dish 1000.2 you should be able to line it up just fine... just take your time and make sure you are getting the highest signal possible on the 129.
If you were needing a Dish 1000+, i'd say call an installer

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)