Maximum cable length for Dish Network & advice

skitheberks

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Mar 26, 2008
CT
I am considering taking down my C-band dish most likely this summer and go with the Dish Essential package. I thought about converting the big dish to FTA, but I just want one receiver and be able to park the dish at one location and thats it. I do have my receiver, a DP301 that I recently took out of service with the end of Sky Angel. I have a great view of the complete satellite arc at the BUD dish pole. I would like to mount the Dish network dish on the same pipe and utilize one of the existing cables (I have one for the C-band LNB and one for the never used Ku-band). The cable is 200 feet in length and is buried and is 17 years old. That was the only place to get a full view of all satellites in orbit back in 1991 with the first BUD install.

Is 200 feet to long for the DBS satellite? I remember when I was going to install the Sky Angel dish for the 61.5 bird, I was going to attach it to the BUD's pole and use the Ku cable. When I called Dish network they told me the max cable run was 75 feet for the single LNB dish I was using. If I have to mount a Dish 500 dish at another location, it would have to be at roof level to get a view of the 110/119 bird. Not wanting to do that!

Is the cable to old? The BUD is still in use, no issues with the actuator motor, LNB signal or polorization motor.

Would I be better off to upgrade the BUD's LNB / feedhorn to make it DBS compatible? It is a 7.5 foot KTI mesh, new in 1998. I can buy a Dish 500 dish locally here new or used.

Thanks!

Dish recommends that max length from LNB to receiver is 200 feet for dish pro with dish pro equipment and 150 for legacy stuff. I know others have gone over 200 and been fine. There are also amps you can purchase for longer lengths.

Just make sure your cable is good quality RG6 at a minimum and swept test. Sounds like the length would ok in your case, but cable quality may be an issue if its that old. RG59 is a no go.

Get a new dish 1000.2 and a dish pro plus lnb. (1000.2 for possible hd upgrade.)
DPP technology will work for up to 200 feet. (we've actually gone further)

Your old RG6 cable will work, my Dish uses old C-band rg6 installed in 1986.

fred

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts