Maximum distance to Joey?

Does everything work and as good compared to a coax to the Joey?

The only difference I have seen is in the DVR listing. In a multi-Hopper system, the Joey's DVR listing has a drop down menu that allows you to select which Hopper's recordings you want to browse. That drop-down option missing for ethernet-only connected Joeys. You can still have access to either hopper, but you have to switch Hopper links via the setup menus.

For our viewing patterns this is a very minor inconvenience. Hopefully it is something Dish will eventually fix, but I would not let it influence which connectivity option to choose unless literally everything else was equal and it was the only tie-breaker left.

Hi - OP here...

So if I already have an ethernet network set up in my home - with the hopper connected to my router - I only need to connect the Joey to the same router (via a very long cat5 cable)?

And then - at the joey end I could connect a switch before the Joey & plug in the Joey as well as a computer to use in the shop?

This all sounds TOO easy.......

And what exactly do you mean by "switch Hopper links via the setup menus"? My wife doesn't like change or complicated setups, and this is her new exercise room. She would primarily be using the dvr from the main hopper that we are connecting to.

Last edited:
Hi - OP here...

So if I already have an ethernet network set up in my home - with the hopper connected to my router - I only need to connect the Joey to the same router (via a very long cat5 cable)?

And then - at the joey end I could connect a switch before the Joey & plug in the Joey as well as a computer to use in the shop?

And what exactly do you mean by "switch Hopper links via the setup menus"? My wife doesn't like change or complicated setups, and this is her new exercise room. She would primarily be using the dvr from the main hopper that we are connecting to.

The Dish installer will not set it up this way, because it's not a supported connection. After they set it up you can move it how you would want.

If you only have one hopper, then the joey connecting is a non issue.

Hi - OP here...

You've got it. Pretty simple.

I will say that I experimented with a double slinglink (powerline ethernet) setup in my detached garage about 100 feet from the house, and while the joey linked to the system, it was absolutely unusable due to pixellation. Aside from that issue, all 3 of my joeys have been running without coax for about 4 months with no problems.

The only difference I have seen is in the DVR listing. In a multi-Hopper system, the Joey's DVR listing has a drop down menu that allows you to select which Hopper's recordings you want to browse. That drop-down option missing for ethernet-only connected Joeys. You can still have access to either hopper, but you have to switch Hopper links via the setup menus.

For our viewing patterns this is a very minor inconvenience. Hopefully it is something Dish will eventually fix, but I would not let it influence which connectivity option to choose unless literally everything else was equal and it was the only tie-breaker left.

This is about the only difference I experience too. The icon loading speed when you're browsing the guide and DVR recordings may be a tad slower by a negligible amount but otherwise it's great!

Sent from my iPad 2 using Forum Runner

Hi - OP here...

As has been previously stated all Hoppers require 3GHz RG-6 to receive the sat signals. That is correct in that you can just connect the Hopper and the Joey to the same Ethernet/WiFi network and they will communicate by this means. However, initial Joey setup does require a coax connection, so you'll need to have a coax connection for the Joey initially. Can always activate the Joey using a tap into a Hopper line, then remove the Joey from the tap and connect to the network.

As has been previously stated all Hoppers require 3GHz RG-6 to receive the sat signals. That is correct in that you can just connect the Hopper and the Joey to the same Ethernet/WiFi network and they will communicate by this means. However, initial Joey setup does require a coax connection, so you'll need to have a coax connection for the Joey initially. Can always activate the Joey using a tap into a Hopper line, then remove the Joey from the tap and connect to the network.

I went ahead yesterday and installed a second coax to the location where a Joey will go. One coax to the Joey and the other for the modulated signal input straight to the TV RF port. Also installed a Cat5 cable. This location is out my garage so you never know if a Cat5 connection is needed. 3HaloODST, can you provide that link again to your 3 Hopper wiring diagram setup? Thanks

You don't need Coax at all for the Joey. If you can get it on the Cat 5 network that the Hopper is on, it will work (Unsupported, but it will).

Just hook it up in the house real quick on Coax for the activation, then you can eliminate that connection.

Anyone have a rough schematic or hardware needed for this setup? I'd love to move the Joey to the shop every now and then. Otherwise I reckon my network installing brother can answer that for me!

Anyone have a rough schematic or hardware needed for this setup? I'd love to move the Joey to the shop every now and then.
Which setup? Several have been presented in this thread.

It may be useful to know how many lineal feet separate the house and the garage as opposed to what you think the cable run would be. If burial of the cable isn't possible, things may be radically different.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 2)