Maximum distance to Joey?

SouthRider

SatelliteGuys Guru
Original poster
Oct 12, 2005
Covington, La
I want to install a joey in my shop. I know the max recommended distance is 200'.

The shop is 198' from the house, but by the time I add the distance to the tv on one end and to the node on the other I am probably about 230'.

Does anyone have any experience with hopper/joey and this distance?

I hate to add another dish just to get service in my shop, and would really prefer to have access to my dvr instead of setting up all the timers again.

One option is to move the node from inside the house to the exterior wall - saving about 20'.

Any thoughts?

It's been reported on the forums by a few people that it can work past these maximums, but your experience will vary. Might also depend on the condition/quality of the coax used too.
  • Maximum 200-foot cable length from LNBF to farthest Hopper
  • Maximum 200-foot cable length between any Hopper and Joey

I want to install a joey in my shop. I know the max recommended distance is 200'.

The shop is 198' from the house, but by the time I add the distance to the tv on one end and to the node on the other I am probably about 230'.

Does anyone have any experience with hopper/joey and this distance?

I hate to add another dish just to get service in my shop, and would really prefer to have access to my dvr instead of setting up all the timers again.

One option is to move the node from inside the house to the exterior wall - saving about 20'.

Any thoughts?

I ran one at a customer's house over 300' with no issues. If you want to help make sure it works properly, I'd go with solid copper core RG6. However, I just used standard copper clad RG6 in that instance and had a full signal reading on the MOCA network.

That IS good news!

There is an existing underground run about 2/3 of the way there (from when my 942 was installed & they wanted a superdish on a pole instead of on the house) so I'm guessing that it is decent quality cable. I can hook to it above ground & try the signal 1st. I have a roll of pretty heavy duty quad shield rg6 I can use. Nice to have the moca signal meter built into the software.....

Thanx a bunch!

I would look at using Indoor Outdoor Cat5 cable it will go 100 meters plus you could bring internet to the shop at the same time.

Last edited:
What would you use to split the signal on both ends from cat5 to coax?

You would not need any coax.

Would go Ethernet from hopper to switch/router and then from switch/router to Joey.

You could also always use a wireless Ethernet bridge too.
Also if the power in shop is feed from house panel then you could use those Power/Ethernet bridges too.

Last edited:

Would go Ethernet from hopper to switch/router and then from switch/router to Joey.
Also if the power in shop is feed from house panel then you could use those Power/Ethernet bridges too.

While that will prob work without issue, it isn't an officially supported install method.

All good points. I didn't even think about going that route.

Are you saying from a switch or router to Joey you can go Ethernet and then Joey to TV? I have looked at several wiring diagrams and haven't seen that one.

A wireless bridge would be another option. 200 feet isn't that far for directional antennas if obstructions are limited.

Are you saying from a switch or router to Joey you can go Ethernet and then Joey to TV? I have looked at several wiring diagrams and haven't seen that one.

Joeys work fine over ethernet only (wired or wireless). No coax needed. It's not an officially supported config, but has been pretty thouroughly tested by users here.

I've had one of the Joeys on WiFi (using the Dish USB WiFi dongle) for 7 months now and it's near flawless!

Sent from my iPhone 4S using Forum Runner

Look at some of ubiquiti,s wireless gear. Very powerful for what you are paying for at the same price as wireless routers. You could set up a pair of them to get a strong wireless link if needed.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk HD

charlesrshell said:
What about the Hopper? Will it also work with just Ethernet connection only?

No the Hopper needs coax to the node to receive the satellite signal.

Sent from my DROIDX

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 2)