Maximum Number of Event Timers

charlesrshell

SatelliteGuys Crazy
Original poster
Lifetime Supporter
Jan 14, 2006
O'Fallon, IL
I have been programing a 722 for future timers. As I was doing this a pop up window came up and says "The Maximum number of event timers has been reached. No more can be created at this time without deleting one previously created". I guess there must be a limit. Does anyone know what that number is?

It's in the 500-600 range. They did increase it from 288, I believe, a few s/w releases ago.

Remember, a "timer" isn't an entry for a TV show, it's all instances of that show. A good example is "Spongebob". Some people think that's (1) timer. It's not, it's (1) "event". If you do "All episodes", you could end up with dozens and dozens of timers.

It's in the 500-600 range. They did increase it from 288, I believe, a few s/w releases ago.

Remember, a "timer" isn't an entry for a TV show, it's all instances of that show. A good example is "Spongebob". Some people think that's (1) timer. It's not, it's (1) "event". If you do "All episodes", you could end up with dozens and dozens of timers.

OK, thanks for the info. I don't think I have near that amount. I guess I could count them to be sure. The timers only go nine days in advance, right??

It is also worth mentioning that - using Hall's Spongebob example - it DOES NOT MATTER if you select ALL or NEW for the timer. Spongebob will take up something like 50+ entries regardless. This is because even the episodes marked as SKIPPED are included in this 500-600 range limit. Hard to believe but only few timers setup for show that have multiple, multiple showings can quickly eat away at this 500-600 limit. Extreme example - a single DISH PASS timer for something like PAID PROGRAMMING would likely eat up the entire limit.

Yes, they only go (9) days ahead. Take any particular "event" you have and then look at the breakdown/details for that event. It will list all instances that it found and as KyDave pointed out, they ALL are counted even though they won't be recorded. Count the number of instances for that (1) program. Repeat that for each program and see how things add up.

Just out of curiosity, what are some of the programs you've selected ?

Yes, they only go (9) days ahead. Take any particular "event" you have and then look at the breakdown/details for that event. It will list all instances that it found and as KyDave pointed out, they ALL are counted even though they won't be recorded. Count the number of instances for that (1) program. Repeat that for each program and see how things add up.

Just out of curiosity, what are some of the programs you've selected ?

Well, counting up all the skipped stuf too, I would imagine that there is up in the hundreds of timers I have loaded. We have maybe six things that are loaded for weekly recording. I was just going thru the Dish Flick magazine and loading one time things the wife has identified she wanted to watch. Assortment of several channels. I have loaded maybe 15 things when the pop up window said I was maxed out.

I guess another example of how one can "make or break" TIMERS is how a user initiates recording the evening news-talk programs. An example is the O'Reilly Factor on FNC -- if one simply selects all episodes (and maybe even New Episodes ???), a timer will be created for the 8pm ET airing, then the 11pm ET and the late night airing at either 2am or 4am--a total of 3 timers. If one wants to limit this to one timer, then select Mon-Fri and the time of desired airing.
I guess I'm right in my explanation.

Eric

I guess another example of how one can "make or break" TIMERS is how a user initiates recording the evening news-talk programs. An example is the O'Reilly Factor on FNC -- if one simply selects all episodes (and maybe even New Episodes ???), a timer will be created for the 8pm ET airing, then the 11pm ET and the late night airing at either 2am or 4am--a total of 3 timers. If one wants to limit this to one timer, then select Mon-Fri and the time of desired airing.
I guess I'm right in my explanation.

Eric

I just tried to schedule another timer and got the rejection pop up window. When I go in and look at the non skip schedule timers there is 51. The skipped events timers is 319.

eacalhoun: That may work but I also wouldn't be surprised if the DVR still flags episodes on the weekends but simply marks them "Skipped...". If it does that, they still "count" as a timer.

You've touched on my "Dish claim for fame". :D

When E* first introduced their very first DVR, I was "first on my block" to get one, since I had already been time-shifting using VCRs for about 15 years, so the convenience of "tapeless record" seemed particularly good.

I received the 501 and they had simply copied the model 4000's timer code - which allowed ten timers total.

I contacting Engineering Department, and made the case, and they upgraded to 50 timers in the first software upgrade (there was only 44 hour guide back then).

You've touched on my "Dish claim for fame". :D

When E* first introduced their very first DVR, I was "first on my block" to get one, since I had already been time-shifting using VCRs for about 15 years, so the convenience of "tapeless record" seemed particularly good.

I received the 501 and they had simply copied the model 4000's timer code - which allowed ten timers total.

I contacting Engineering Department, and made the case, and they upgraded to 50 timers in the first software upgrade (there was only 44 hour guide back then).

WOW, I don't feel so bad now with 319 and I am at the limit I guess.

I have nearly 80 timers set up, and many of them are daily or mon-fri shows that air a lot, but I've not "bumped my head" on the max recordings thing. I even have timers for some things that air 20-30 times a week on discovery channel and others.

I should go in there and count them up to see where I'm at...

I have nearly 80 timers set up, and many of them are daily or mon-fri shows that air a lot, but I've not "bumped my head" on the max recordings thing. I even have timers for some things that air 20-30 times a week on discovery channel and others.

I should go in there and count them up to see where I'm at...

Can you click on Show Skip and see how many timers you have? Should be much higher than 80 I would think.

My list does show the skips in the list of events (schedule). There's a ton of them in there. WAY more than 80... In the actual timers list though, there are 80 items.

My list does show the skips in the list of events (schedule). There's a ton of them in there. WAY more than 80... In the actual timers list though, there are 80 items.

Which DVR do you have? The 722 shows the future skipped events with a line thru them and a red x on the left hand side in the show skip mode. The total number of events scheduled is in the lower right hand corner. Right now I have 49 in the hide skip mode and 314 in the show skip mode.

I wish you could create a timer that was specific to channel #. For example I like to record on HBO on the alternate feed at a later time. If I select NEW for a series I get the HBO feed on 300 as expected I would like to be able to select to record all NEW of an episode on 303 only so that it record at a later time. This feature would also eliminate a lot of the timer counts for shows that show up on multiple stations.

Question, on locals do the timers count twice, once for the hard channel location and one for the mapped location or is this just one count per event?

It does - if you define your timer from the guide on channel 303 and select NEW episodes it should only use that channel.

I wish you could create a timer that was specific to channel #. For example I like to record on HBO on the alternate feed at a later time. If I select NEW for a series I get the HBO feed on 300 as expected I would like to be able to select to record all NEW of an episode on 303 only so that it record at a later time. This feature would also eliminate a lot of the timer counts for shows that show up on multiple stations.

Question, on locals do the timers count twice, once for the hard channel location and one for the mapped location or is this just one count per event?

The recently enhanced Dish Pass will do this.

If using Dish Pass and the name of the show, both LIL channels are searched and are used for the events list.

However, not using Dish Pass (Dish Pass now has All and New Episodes as an option as well as a specific channel) then the timer will only use that one channel you selected from the guide to initiate the timer. Of course, a manual timer is channel specific.

Short list of shows that will suck up your evens allowance:

Modern Marvels (All time high I remember is 45 repeat episodes)
almost any show on MTV (marathons and repeats of 15-45 times a week)
A lot of the kiddie shows that channels will air 40+ times a week.

Use the TIMERS to show how many events of that specific show only. If there are a lot, then try using a Daily; Mon-Fri; or Weekly timer. Then you should have some free events for more timers.

I have about 90 timers and about 300 events, myself.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)