Maximum number of timers question

bfootdav

Original poster
Mar 12, 2007
I have a ViP622 and the maximum number of timers I can have on it is 96. This is a problem. At this moment I have 96 timers in use and after pruning my timers yet again (it's a weekly occurrence) there might be two shows I can eliminate (haven't been able to confirm if they've been cancelled). But even with those two, I imagine that at some point soon I'll be forced into deleting timers for shows that I still want to record. So, my question is, do any of the newer HD DVRs allow for more timers? And if so, how difficult/expensive is it to upgrade? Thanks.

I have a ViP622 and the maximum number of timers I can have on it is 96. This is a problem. At this moment I have 96 timers in use and after pruning my timers yet again (it's a weekly occurrence) there might be two shows I can eliminate (haven't been able to confirm if they've been cancelled). But even with those two, I imagine that at some point soon I'll be forced into deleting timers for shows that I still want to record. So, my question is, do any of the newer HD DVRs allow for more timers? And if so, how difficult/expensive is it to upgrade? Thanks.
The maximum timers is 96 for the VIP 722/722k and the VIP 922 as well.

Thanks for the info. I imagine I'm not the only one to run into this problem (for families it could be a real pain), so what do other people do? Add more DVRs? Is there a cheap/easy way to go about this?

if you have a 211k you can add an external hard drive to make it a Dvr. 1 tuner to record, and if you have ota it can record 2 shows at a time while watching a third. Just don't buy portable hard drive, it needs to have its own power supply. And there is a one time fee from dish to activate the DVR service.

or 576 events in the daily schedule, some timers have a lot of reruns. my 922 has maxed out at 70 timers before because of a show that had so many reruns.

Delete the show with so many reruns. Add more timers then put back the show with reruns.

But as to the original question I use 2 boxes to do all the timers. I know it sounds silly to have so many timers, but a lot of shows I like only have a few episdoes a year. 2 boxes helps with timer overlap too.

I read on another forum.. That if you went online to you could set more recordings there and it bypasses the 96 limit.. Not sure if it works or not.. I have never tried it..

I read on another forum.. That if you went online to you could set more recordings there and it bypasses the 96 limit.. Not sure if it works or not.. I have never tried it..
Yes, you can exceed 96 from the online controls. BUT, you will not be able to add ANY timers on the DVR until you go below 96. It is likely this could overflow some memory allocation and really mess up things. I have done it for a few days at a time.

Now, I use IMDb to get a list on what may be coming--darn, they do not have a "local cable system" of Dish nor DirecTV and it is hard to find a system that has as many movies as AEP. This means I need less in the timers list for "I want it when it comes by." I have 400 in my WatchList--many are to find smaller (MPEG4) and better (HD) copies of the 1900, which I already have.

Some of those can be in your search list. Unfortunately it is even more restricted and has no indication when it will overflow and erase the oldest AND it takes a lot of effort to scan the search history, one name at a time.

The Search list could be opened up easily by changing a compile parameter with minimal memory impact. The Timers list could also be opened up but might adversely affect the time to search it when updating the Guide multiple times each day. A bigger Timers list, however, would be a much bigger help than the Search list.

Re: the 576 show limit, try not to use it on all or new shows with many repeats, use weekly timers even 2 weekly timers, if needed.

-Ken

This 96 timer limit is ridiculous. Modern computers can scan an array as small as the programming grid in under three seconds.

My wife said she saw on the Dish startup screen something about increasing the limit.

Have any of you guys seen this?

This 96 timer limit is ridiculous. Modern computers can scan an array as small as the programming grid in under three seconds.

My wife said she saw on the Dish startup screen something about increasing the limit.

I haven't seen anything about this. Everything I have is still showing 96 is the max.

I've seen nothing about increasing the timer limit. However, there are messages about increasing your recording limit (as in total hours recorded) by adding an external hard drive.

What is ridiculous is the number of people that associate powerful computer capabilities with lowly DVR hardware. Today's average computer has a 2Ghz dual core CISC processor, a 1.8GHz bus speed and a couple of gigabytes of RAM. The ViP622 has a a single 300MHz RISC core and a 33MHz bus.

What is ridiculous is the number of people that associate powerful computer capabilities with lowly DVR hardware. Today's average computer has a 2Ghz dual core CISC processor, a 1.8GHz bus speed and a couple of gigabytes of RAM. The ViP622 has a a single 300MHz RISC core and a 33MHz bus.
If tiny cell phones can have 1Ghz processors and 1GB RAM, then I'm sure "lowly" DVR hardware can have more. :p

I'm confused as to how some folks need more than 96 series timers

Do you really watch that much TV?
I have about 25 timers and I can hardly keep up with timer conflicts and hard drive space. It's all about making your timers smarter (I have mostly Dish Pass timers across all channels as opposed to one-time or single-channel timers.)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)