Maxtor EHD Stopped Being Recognized

Ronald_Jeremy

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jan 2, 2005
Rock Ridge!!!!!!!!!!!!
I have had a Maxtor Personal Storage 3200 drive that I have been using since EHD support was added.

I leave it running all of the time and have had no problems up until now. The last time I accessed it was prolly a week and a half ago.

Now, when I go to access it, my 622 is saying there is no usb device attached. :mad: I have unhooked it, re-hooked it. Shut everything down with it unhooked. Hard-booted the DVR and let it come all of the way up then tried re-attaching the EHD. It will not recognize it.

One time, and one time only, when I unhooked it, I did get a message that the usb device had been disconnected. That is the only message I ever got when hooking or unhooking.

The drive spins up and is spinning. That is evident from holding it.

622 is running L614 software and the only thing that has happened that comes to mind since I last used it is installing the new smartcard.

I know I can't hook it to winblows to see if there is a file structure there, will a linux boot CD let me browse the USB drive to see if there is still a file structure intact? Man I am going to be pissed if my sh*t is gone.

And I have run HD's for years. I know shutting them down and re-booting is worse than letting them run.

As a matter of fact, the PC I am typing on is using an 8 year old (at least) 40 gig HD as the secondary drive. Along with the other 2 drives in the machine. I keep moving them as I upgrade and set power setting to not spin down the drives. And I leave the machine running 24/7.

Well f**k me running.

For sheets and giggles...... I went to Seagates site (They provide support for the particular Maxtor I have) and downloaded their diagnostic utility for my particular EHD. Hooked it up to my winblows desktop. Ran the diagnostic util. The diagnostic utility said it couldn't find a Maxtor drive. Got pissed off and took the drive back to the living room and hooked it back up to the 622. The frigging thing worked. Recognized it right away. And my sh*t is still there. :D

And yes, I had also removed power from the HD as part of the trouble shooting procedures. As a matter of fact, the HD sat all last night with no power or USB connection to the DVR. Re-boot DVR, hook power to EHD, then USB still no worky.

I guess the EHD decided Linux was better after it got a taste of winblows and came back to life.

Windows was seeing the HD. It installed when I hooked it up and it was showing up in the Device Manager when hooked up but it would not show up in Winblows Explorer.

Either way, it is working now.

We did discuss the disk format info many times here, it is EXT3 type, you need special ext2fs drivers for Windows at least . Better if you will find those threads - a lot of info for you.

Went to go view a movie on the EHD tonight. Has been hooked up since it worked last time. Hit DVR button then 4 for My Media. Says "No USB media device connected..." Frigging 6222.

Now I have to get on the phone and deal with Ahmad.

10 years ago Maxtor's were the worst piece of crap harddrives ever! One thing you could always guarantee on with a Maxtor: you'd get about 1 year of service out of them, and then they would go bad like flipping a switch!

One second they'd be fine, the next second they'd be gone, never to be resurrected again.

I personally would never buy a Maxtor harddrive again, they are on my sh*t list, right next to Fujitsu's.

Have you tried plugging the drive into both the front and rear USB port? Could be one of the ports is busted.

Second trouble shooting step is to plug in a thumb drive with jpgs on it and see if the 622 sees that. 622s will display and or copy pictures onto its internal memory , when it's working right.

Have you tried plugging the drive into both the front and rear USB port? Could be one of the ports is busted.

Second trouble shooting step is to plug in a thumb drive with jpgs on it and see if the 622 sees that. 622s will display and or copy pictures onto its internal memory , when it's working right.
It came back this morning and I watched a movie off of it. Yes I have done the unplug thing. Both power and USB. Now it is gone again tonight.

Yes, I have also plugged it into the front USB. No difference. No USB device attached.

I don't think it is Maxtor. Gotta be a Dish prob.

Now this is nucking futs. Unplug USB and power from EHD. Do a hardboot of receiver. (remove power)

Wait for it to boot. Plug in power cable to EHD then USB cable. Nothing.

Then get pissed and do a softboot (power button in front panel) and when it boots back up, the f**king drive shows up. And I have done that before!!! At least it is back for now.

You never were clear if you tried or were able to turn off the drive's sleep mode. If you did, then I would put an end to your aggravation and get another drive, a WD to be safe.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts