Maxtor Quickview DVR drives available from NewEgg

video62

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Sep 26, 2003
These are the drives frequently found in Tivo boxes and are designed for DVR use.

You can buy the Maxtor Quickview drives from http://www.newegg.com (very highly rated online merchant - the only place I buy PC gear online - check their ratings at http://www.resellerratings.com)

Go to the NewEgg home page and put in "Maxtor" and "Quickview" as search terms.

80GB and 120GB drives available - they are 5400 RPM drives, thus very desirable for DVR use.

In order to make this thread at least somewhat relevant to the forum it's posted in (Dish Network DVR/PVR Forum) ;) ...

It's also the same class of drive that is found in the 921.

The quickview drives make too much dam noise!

I have 2 modified Tivo's, one has (2) 120 Gig Samsung Drives and the other has (2) Maxtor Quickview Drives.

The samsung drives operate much quieter and you cannot hear the drive when its seeking information :)

Claude Greiner said:

I have 2 modified Tivo's, one has (2) 120 Gig Samsung Drives and the other has (2) Maxtor Quickview Drives.

The samsung drives operate much quieter and you cannot hear the drive when its seeking information :)

Good to know. I too have Samsung 120GB drives in a couple of Tivos that I used the drive utility to put them in 'quiet mode' before installing - I can't hear any seek noise whatsoever.

I just passed along the info in case somebody specifically wanted 5400 RPM drives (which are harder to find in the PC world that prefers 7200 RPM drives).

Claude Greiner said:

Also 80 and 120 GB plus they're at 5400 RPM. Small, slow and noisy. Yep. Just what I want in MY DVR.

I saw a report at Yahoo group about new disks supporting by L2.07 ( DVR522 ):
============
Maxtor 4R120L0
Maxtor 4R160L0
ST3120025ACE
ST3160022ACE
SAMSUNG SV1203N
SAMSUNG SV1604E
ST3160023AS
Maxtor TBD model
Maxtor 7Y250M0
================

SimpleSimon said:
Sure give it a try and report your results back here, please. ;)

I'd sure like to try it.

My 921 has only 4 hours of HD space left on it. If I could swap it out for a clean drive, I wouldn't lose my archives. It would be really nice to be able to bring the IDE cable up through the top of the box into a Hot-swappable drive bay. *or the front* Even if I had to pull the power plug to swap drives, it would be better than only having 25 hours MAX.

Just keep buying drives....

Will see.. I may get brave. :D

One thing I'd be fairly certain of is that any new hard drive you buy will have to become a clone of the existing one just to get started, and that may not be enough.

SimpleSimon said:
One thing I'd be fairly certain of is that any new hard drive you buy will have to become a clone of the existing one just to get started, and that may not be enough.
Thats what you have to do with Replay, there is a program called Replay patch, that will clone the master drive (you have the option of keeping the programs on it) or adding a drive makeing a dual drive sys. This is likely the sort of thing that would be needed to add or replace...but it does not exist and we really cant talk about if it did...

It would be so easy for E* to add a hot-swap bay to the 921. The data is already encrypted, and someone that would try to crack it isn't going to be stopped by the drive being inside the case.

The only problem lies in convincing a bunch of stupid movie executives that probably can't even spell PC that a swappable drive is not a threat to them. :mad:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)