Maybe a dumb question about local HD channels.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Scrib

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Jul 10, 2005
My understanding is that you can receive national feeds of the major networks through D*? Or is that not the truth?

I'm in the Chicago market and could probably get the channels OTA, but I prefer not to. Even if I don't get the true locals for the time being over the dish, I rather have access to CBS, NBC, ABC, FOX, etc on a national level to watch 24, etc in HD over the dish.

That's available, right??? :confused:

Its available under one of 2 conditions: Either your locals channels are owned and operated by their respective networks. I would guess that one or more of yours is. Or you fill out a waiver and hope that your local station approves it.

How can you easily find out what is owned versus what isn't?

Thanks.

Chicago showed up in each one, so I assume I'm covered?

Before I saw this I was on the phone with D* asking about this. I got transfered to the HD DNS dept. and spoke a very nice rep. He said that he could file the waivers for me, which he did, and I should hear something in 45 days or so.

Do they have to do this even though the major channels are all owned and operated by the network in Chicago? A formality?

He did also go into the August first promo, rebates, etc and mentioned that the conversion to mpeg4 is coming with 150 scheduled HD channels coming. Timeline... By the end of this year.

I highly doubt the 150 HD channels by the end of this year....

Sucks that you still had to file waivers. I thought that if it's because you are in an owned and operated market you got them automatically and at no extra cost?

Neutron said:
I highly doubt the 150 HD channels by the end of this year....

Sucks that you still had to file waivers. I thought that if it's because you are in an owned and operated market you got them automatically and at no extra cost?

I guess not.

It seems the waiver is necessary if you can receive locals over the dish in SD, which I can.

If you couldn't receive locals, period, it wouldn't be an issue. But since I can, and I am currently.. The waivers are needed.

Pretty lame if you ask me.

If I'm not able to get CBS, NBC, ABC, Fox through the NY feed then what's the point of going with the HD package through D* at this time? I don't feel like running an antenna up into the attic for 4 months before my HD locals are launched in my area.

And here I was ready to buy the service and more importantly my HDTV. :(

It's not a problem I have, being "only" a Top 30 market. I have a ways to go before I am even offered! However, if its not that big of a deal to run the wire, I say go for it.

Heck, if you aren't too far from the antennas (check http://www.antennaweb.org ) , a set-top UHF Antenna may work okay for you in the meantime.

JeffreyDJ said:
It's not a problem I have, being "only" a Top 30 market. I have a ways to go before I am even offered! However, if its not that big of a deal to run the wire, I say go for it.

Heck, if you aren't too far from the antennas (check http://www.antennaweb.org ) , a set-top UHF Antenna may work okay for you in the meantime.

I am about 29 miles from the furthest and most difficult station in Chicago, CBS. Need a red antenna for that. All others are yellow.

Whatever that means. :D

Yup. 29 miles may be a bit too much. 26 Miles (after some repositioning) for me works fine with the batwing.

But, I still think if its not too much pain, it might be worth it if you have already invested in the tuner equipment. That is, unless, locals aren't a big concern.

For me, I was more concerned about locals then the DTV offered HD channels!

I live in Orange County, 50 miles from the OTA source in Los Angeles for all the locals. I am in the process of signing up for the HD service and the CSR said that I would need an antenna to get the locals. Is that true, or would I be able to get the DNS feeds since I live the LA market? I really don't want to hassle with an antenna and I know I'll need a monster one to get the OTA reception from 50+ miles away.

Thanks.

If your local networks are O&O networks you should get the channels without even calling. Just so you know waivers are very hard to get because they will check what type of signal your area gets for the "analog" OTA station. That means that if you get a grade A signal for your Fox analog OTA station you would be screwed if your Fox station didn't broadcast in HDTV or had low power. Now current system is setup to seperate digital from analog signal quality.

Also keep in mind that if your Fox station say is O&O you won't get any local sports games because you would be getting the NY or LA feeds which most likely would blackout almost all NFL games. That won't change until HD local channels are offering in your area.

As longhorn mentioned the rep that you talked to was wrong. I also live in chicago and I was able to get all the channels turned on with a simple phone call to the HD eligibility dept. Give them a call, 1 800 263 0028.

Well, if the rep was wrong and these waivers were already issued, what does that mean?

Will they all come back OK? What if most or all deny me? Can this be reversed?

LonghornXP said:
If your local networks are O&O networks you should get the channels without even calling. Just so you know waivers are very hard to get because they will check what type of signal your area gets for the "analog" OTA station. That means that if you get a grade A signal for your Fox analog OTA station you would be screwed if your Fox station didn't broadcast in HDTV or had low power. Now current system is setup to seperate digital from analog signal quality.

Also keep in mind that if your Fox station say is O&O you won't get any local sports games because you would be getting the NY or LA feeds which most likely would blackout almost all NFL games. That won't change until HD local channels are offering in your area.

Ok, well I just called the number dgordo provided. The rules chnaged 3-4 months ago where it is now required to file waivers regardless of location. It's something new.

However, this rep did state again that I'll have locals in HD by year end. So we'll see what comes back on the waiver request and go from there.

An update....

I put the request in on 7/28, and today I ended up buying my HDTV. So now, more than ever... I want to know. Can I get the national feeds???

So I called the HD DNS department and to my surprise.... I was approved for all national feeds.

Ahhhhhhh.. SWEET SUCCESS!

My HD TiVO is on order. I can't wait!

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts