Maybe a Silly Question

Status
Please reply by conversation.

litig8

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Jan 2, 2005
Southlake, Texas
I am a total newbie who is getting ready to purchase Direct tv w/ Tivo.

I want to make sure that I will be able to connect my dvd recorder to the receiver and burn dvd's from shows that I have recorded. I am assuming this is possible since tivo already sells a standalone unit with a built-in dvd recorder.

Please confirm that I can do this without difficulty. Thanks in advance for what is likely to be the first of some very basic questions coming from me.

Welcome to SatelliteGuys!

No problem recording from any DIRECTV set top box or DVR with TiVo service, just connect the RCA Yellow/Red/White outputs from the DIRECTV box to Yellow/Red/White inputs on your DVD recorder and your good to go.

You will love DIRECTV especially if you get the DIRECTV DVR with TiVo service.

-Robert

thanks for the quick response.

I have another question. At this point, I am forced to chose between Direct Tv w/ Tivo or Hd due to the costs. Which do you suggest that I start with, and how easy is it to eventually upgrade to add the service that I put off for a later date.

Is there anything I should do at the initial purchase to make it easier to upgrade later.

Well, you have to decide if time shifting your favorite shows is more important than watching live HD programming. Another option is to get a DVR and a HD set top box set up at the HDTV. It's not my first choice, but we install quite a few systems like that.

You might want to reconsider and go ahead with the HR10-250 if you can swing it. We just lowered our price to $850. delivered and you will get a $50. rebate form DIRECTV.

If your not going with HD with your initial set up I do recommend getting the 18x20 dish so you your satellite system will be HD ready.

-Robert

I will be moving in April or May time period so perhaps prices will take another drop at that time making a combined purchase a more realistic sell for my wife. She doesn't quite share the enthusiasm for HD at this point.

Any idea when Direct Tv is planning the next generation receiver that will prompt further price cuts?

If you have an HDTV, then you have got to feed in an HD signal. If you don't yet have an HDTV then go for the DirecTivo, and get the new R10 if you really want to be impressed. make sure you get a Tri-Lnb dish, with either set-up.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)