Maybe I Made A Mistake

beatboy77

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Jul 28, 2005
Colorado Springs, CO
I have been a D* Customer for three years now and decided to switch to E*. With D* I have three HD-Tivo's (HR10-250) and really couldn't be happier with them. I have three Home Theaters in my home and I run each HD-Tivo via HDMI only. The reason I am switching is becuase I hear E*'s HD PQ is much better then D*'s and also the HD selection is better on a National level. Also I live in Colorado and E* is a Colorado-based company, so I thought I would support the home towne team. I bought one VIP622 on Ebay last night and I will be leasing two of them through E* directly. My fear though is that the 622 is not as good as the HD-Tivo when using only HDMI, which for me is the only option. Did I make a mistake by switching to E*? How do the HD-Tivo and 622 Compare?

~Josh

I can't answer you question directly because I don't have an HD Tivo, but why is HDMI your only option? I've never seen a display device that only has HDMI and no component.

Because each of my Home Theaters has a Conduit which the A/V cables run through and I only have HDMI in them for now. It is a major major pain tp change them.

~Josh

Well the 622 has HDMI. Only problem is that the support for HDMI seems to be flaky right now. Many 622 owners are having problems with it. Dish claims it is a software problem and is correctable.

But when it does work, then you should get a better picture from the 622/E* than a TIVO/D*.

Tom Bombadil said:
Well the 622 has HDMI. Only problem is that the support for HDMI seems to be flaky right now. Many 622 owners are having problems with it. Dish claims it is a software problem and is correctable.

But when it does work, then you should get a better picture from the 622/E* than a TIVO/D*.
Remember it may take DISH 2 years to correct software problems, that is not one of their strong points.:mad: :mad: :mad:

Another data point, not all 622 users are having problems with HDMI, it seems to be largely affecting certain TV makes. My Maxent plasma , has had no issues, to date, with the hdmi on the 622 nor did it with the 942.
IMHO the 942 had pretty good software but i only got it last year.

1) should have asked these questions BEFORE you bought anything...
2) Why'd you buy one off ebay and lease the other two? (Cheap plug) You should have bought from Dishstore.net...god I feel cheap for such a blatant plug...
3) As long as you don't have issues as explained above, your PQ will be better than D*'s, though there's more to E* than PQ. Don't ever call tech support...

I bought off Ebay because I found a reputable dealer and got one for $389.00 shipped. I think that is a bit cheaper then Dishstore. I guess if worse comes to worse with the 622 issues, I could just cancel within the 30 days and sell the 622 I own to one of you guys. I think I will like E* though, I hear a lot of good things from friends and you guys. I am just fed up with D* doing nothing to improve their HD Services and HD means more to me then the ST.

~Josh

I have a Sharp Aquos running HDMI and it works like a charm. As far as the 622, I had the original that was DOA, but the installer unplugged it during a software update, the replacement has been fine. Dish's Tech support has been fine but their customer service sucks. I think you will be fine with Dish, I have the AEP so I don't incur DVR fees, I have 1 HD DVR and 1 SD DVR and 4 HD receivers and I pay about $130 a month. We also take two of those receivers camping with us, so the best of both worlds.

The PQ is better on Direct witrh some and better on Dish with some channels, but the HD part is much better in my opinion. And with the DVR, record 1 OTA, and two HD all at once is awesome.

Well, Welcome to the Dish forum... Every service has its trade offs.. I havent been too impressed with D*... My wife and I acctually prefer dish than D*.. (we have had both..) from the PQ side I belive dish is better.. for sd content... with the exception of LIL SD.. The HD side of the house dish does kick D*'s ass as far as pq goes.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)