Maybe this will give Dish something to think about

waltinvt

Supporting Founder
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Feb 16, 2004
Vermont
I sounds like qualifing for the distant HD nets with "D" is getting a little more realistic according to recent threads over on AVS Forums. Check out the "Walnut Creek" guy's posts.

Per recent FCC responses, it seems that whether you get analog LILs from DBS has NOTHING to do with qualifying for digital distants.

If your affiliate won't grant a waiver, you can demand a signal test. Sometimes just the threat of that expense will get you the waivers.

You can request waivers for just HD distants, which may be more likely to be granted.

So bottom line is it's not just O&O that are entitled to DNS according to FCC

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=515808

Demand a test from who? The FCC won't do anything and the local networks won't do a test. Not to mention the local networks don't have to be broadcasting HD stuff anyway. Just DTV and it can be ultra low power. The latest law put on the books didn't help this either. It's all about getting a waiver...the wavier is completely up to the local network. The laws still gives the local networks a lot of power. Even when they put requirements on the local networks, they put in exceptions and loopholes. While the analog requirements are separated from the digital requirements, in the end they are usually the same (get a wavier).

Cox Communications Cable Is Looking Good

I am likely going the cable route very soon - Cox Communications carries most of L.A.'s locals (save UPN and WB) and I won't need any waivers. Anyone have any reason to warn me away from Cox Communications cable service???????????

Last I checked neither the networks nor the requesting company, D*/E* can go out and actually do the signal test. It is a conflict of interest for either party to do it so it has to be done by a 'certified' 3rd party and that is done at the expense of the consumer.

drod said:
Last I checked neither the networks nor the requesting company, D*/E* can go out and actually do the signal test. It is a conflict of interest for either party to do it so it has to be done by a 'certified' 3rd party and that is done at the expense of the consumer.

I believe the Old Shivera rules still apply in that if you are refused a waiver or letter of "no objection", you can demand a signal test, which the station is obligated to do and within a certain time frame.

The burden of proof is on the tv station and if they can't prove you get a grade "B" or better signal or they don't get the test done, you are considered to be "unserved" and thus entitled to DNS (which in the case of digital, usually happens to be HD) by your DBS provider (assuming of course they carry them and choose to provide them).

It's in the interest of the sat provider to act on your behalf and coordinate the testing with the station and because they are not likely to accept the tv station's tester, an independent is called in. If the station can't prove you can get a signal with a "conventional" antenna, they pay for the test - otherwise either the customer or the sat company pays. I think this is all written into the 1999 Shivera law which is still in affect by virtue of the Dec '04 extension.

However also included in that extension is some wording that attempts to separate analog and digital requirements and although the FCC has not written the "rules" (needed to clarify the new aspects of the law) yet, that doesn't negate the law - it just leaves it more open to interpretation.

It looks like, based in part on "D"s and other's MISinterpretation of the law, the FCC is starting to "back door" clarify some of this in the form of responses to consumer inquiries.

Until the FCC actually writes some rules, these customer responses are all any of us have to go by. It might be enough however to get DBS to start forming a more realistic approach to DNS qualifications.

It was asked about Cox.

Cox has a HD DVR, but it has problems with the analog channels. The Analog tuner in there HD DVR records at a ver lower quality as it converts the pic to digital as it streams there record for pause and recording TV.

Digital channels look great.

Analog looks real bad compared to there other digital receivers.

I think I'll email my locals, request a test, and see what happens....isn't that how the
American Revolution started?

Birkoff

Yankees on MLB Extra Innings?

Free upgrade to DVR: True?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)