Maytag Man

rvvaquero

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Lifetime Supporter
Mar 3, 2012
SE Texas
I've talked with two DISH installers from different parts of the country in the past few days. They both told me that they are now repairing Samsung washing machines.

If this is true, just curious what you installers think about that. Is this going to end after the recall, or is this the wave of the future to keep installers busy?

Everyone is busy "repairing" those "exploding" Samsung washers we just had ours done. Basically, bigger nuts and a sticker.

The days of the hammer & screwdriver repair man are over. Now it's a circuit board & connectors. Maybe a soldering iron may help.

I can confirm this.

Last month when I had my HughesNet was installed, the guy got a call from his wife saying a Dish Network van is in their driveway. I went with a local independent retailer who installs Dish, DirecTV, Hughes and Excede and he was beyond flabbergasted that another Dish van pulled in to his driveway. It was a larger regional competitor, and he showed his wife the work order for the washing machine repair. And yes it was one of the Samsung's that have been having problems.

They can't be any worse than other repair people. If one does not have an Apple Store within hundres of miles, it makes sense (instead of shipping it to 3rd party--forget Apple as they may want way too much $$ to repair older iPhones, OR NOT repair them at all), as do other repairs for other products. I don't see this really having a big impact in major metro areas, but it could be a smart move to make some $$ in other parts of the country AND get a Dish rep in your home. Dish has been offering wall mount TV service and extra for A/V install. It seems Dish is going further. Also, anyone, by meeting requirements, can become an "Authorized" repair service and virtually no requirements for a 3rd party repair service outside of warranty. It is all about training.

I do not for a minute think Dish reps have been given adequate training on the disassembly and reassembly of iPhones.

I do not think the skill set to mount, wire and aim dishes contains the fine motor skills needed for smartphone work.

Its probably a good business for anyone to jump into . All that Samsung junk that is out there. I had a front load washer and a microwave break . The washer was a few years old nothing but trouble got rid of it for a American made maytag .The microwave was a few months old and died . Samsung sent out a private repair company and sent me a huge box of parts because they said it could have been lots of different things wrong with it . The guys fixing it were here 3 hours . Still having issues but don't use it much . A friend of mine has a refrigerator with all kinds of problems. Dish is losing so many customers they have to try something. Soon dish will be into home repair, auto detailing,carpet cleaning, delivering for amazon and who knows what else .

While higher end appliances aren't my thing, if they were, Samsung is the last company I'd get any of this stuff from. Samsung is the Apple of home appliances. Flashy, marketed well, people for whatever reason that I will never understand find them attractive, because they are trendy and have blinky lights, and they are a status symbol of sorts. If I ever fall into a small fortune, I'd go with lower end Sub Zero appliances. A low end sub zero would probably cost twice as much as a high end Samsung, but I'd only have to buy one in my lifetime. I know Sub Zero Wolf doesn't make washers or dryers, but I'd go with an equivalent. Samsung, jack of all trades, master of none.

I do not for a minute think Dish reps have been given adequate training on the disassembly and reassembly of iPhones.
What makes you say that, have you seen what training that they do receive ? Seriously, doing repairs like these require repetition and the proper tools. That's all. The actual work isn't terribly complex.

Kinda like rough carpentry versus fine carpentry, IMHO.

Not the same skill set.

We are very happy with our exploding Samsung washer. The main reason is that it has a LARGE tub that still allows my wife to reach the bottom. We no longer have to go to a special laundromat (washateria for some of us) to wash and dry large quilts.

And I suppose the steam option would be nice, if we ever used it.

Kinda like rough carpentry versus fine carpentry, IMHO.

Not the same skill set.
Installing Dish equipment = rough carpentry vs iPhone repairs = fine carpentry ?

Honestly, watch a video online for replacing a battery or screen on an iPhone. It's not difficult with the right tools and instructions. That said, in the 'pool' of local Dish technicians, I would hope certain ones are flagged as being 'competent' at it while others aren't and those don't get those assignments.

I have done a lot of electronics work over the years. Lots of soldering, ckt board layouts and etching, and breadboarding. I tried to repair an old iPhone with a self repair kit, to limited results.

I ain't trusting a plumber to fix electronics.

Reactions: papachops

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)