McNabb says black QBs under more pressure

Id say McNabb sucks lately and he is looking for sympathy or someone to blame. When all else fails blame the white man. He is an absolute idiot. So we do not criticize Rex Grossman???

I somewhat agree with your statement because he is standing behind his comments as he stated in ESPN...but the interview was done BEFORE THE SEASON STARTED....

And you don't criticize Rex Grossman....ONLY the Chicago media....for everyone else, they just pick up the story from Chicago....everyone else doesn't even care about Rex Grossman....

I'm getting tired of the black vs white, I have 2 black guy working for me right now ,who are the 2nd and 3rd highest paid on my crew. No one on my crew,ever tries to compair the white and black s@#$. That fact is McNabb,just plain and simple isn't that good anymore. Why the hell does it always have to turn into how ruff it is for the black man. Get over it already!!! He just sucks now. Did anyone watch the games. HE Sucks!! Time for a new quarterback. Oh well thats football.

Here is an EXCELLENT article by FOXSPORTS freelance writer, Jason Whitlock:

For reasons far more nuanced than he offered Tuesday night on HBO, Donovan McNabb is right, black NFL quarterbacks face more pressure, scrutiny and criticism than their white counterparts. The assertion is neither debatable nor controversial. In fact, when James Brown's sit-down interview with the star quarterback was over, I wondered how McNabb's comments had caused much of a stir. He'd simply stated the obvious in the most inoffensive way possible. McNabb's comments were not angry, defiant or whiny. They were matter of fact.

They were also incomplete and, therefore, out of context.

I believe McNabb, more than any black quarterback who has played the game, understands all of the obstacles facing a black "franchise" quarterback. And he knows that it would be highly dangerous to put all of the issues on the table. We can't handle the truth. The media aren't equipped to tell it. And he justifiably fears that his black teammates aren't ready to digest it.

You see, many of the roadblocks standing before a black QB are placed there by other African-Americans. Stick with me, let me explain. There is no doubt that racism has been a factor in the level and the intensity of criticism thrown at McNabb since the day the Eagles drafted him.

More important and damaging, racism -- unintentional and intentional -- has contributed to an atmosphere where it is difficult for the average fan or member of the media to recognize a blatantly obvious truth about McNabb's career:

Eagles owner Jeffrey Lurie and head coach Andy Reid have failed to properly support McNabb. The one year they provided McNabb with a legitimate No. 1 receiver (Terrell Owens), he threw 31 TDs and just nine interceptions and led the Eagles to within a field goal of winning Super Bowl XXXIX.

Lurie got away with being embarrassingly cheap because Donovan's young legs compensated for the lack of playmakers in the passing game and a mediocre offensive line. McNabb — injured three of the last five years — has been used up and the Eagles are preparing to spit him out (drafting Kevin Kolb) primarily because the Eagles did not give him the kind of support Peyton Manning, Carson Palmer and to a lesser degree Tom Brady received in Indianapolis, Cincinnati and New England, respectively. McNabb has their talent, their work ethic and their intellect for the game. He's never received their support (Marvin Harrison, Reggie Wayne, Chad Johnson, T.J. Houshmandzadeh, Ben Watson, Randy Moss, Corey Dillon, Deion Branch). And the lack of support isn't just from ownership, fans, media and Rush Limbaugh. As best exemplified during the Owens fiasco, McNabb was sold out by many of his black teammates. This is the uncomfortable truth that we want to ignore. It's a truth that McNabb will probably only address in retirement. Over the last 15 years, the influx of money and the implementation of the salary cap have dramatically changed the politics of the NFL. Franchise quarterbacks, the guys with the $100 million contracts, are given so much money in guaranteed bonuses that the position is now a management job. For instance, because of his contract and importance to the organization, Manning is basically in partnership with owner Jim Irsay, head coach Tony Dungy and offensive coordinator Tom Moore. A typical NFL locker room is 70 percent black. It is my belief that black players are more accepting of a white player being in a management position than a black player. The Owens-McNabb feud was clearly over money and fueled by jealou$y. Owens, an idiot cancer, felt like McNabb should've pressured ownership to rework Owens' contract. Owens labeled McNabb a sellout and the message gained traction in a Philly locker room filled with players disgruntled about Lurie's frugality and envious of McNabb's contract.

Robert Kraft and the New England Patriots are known as cheap and have jettisoned several high-profile, productive black players (Ty Law, Lawyer Milloy, Deion Branch). Has anyone labeled Tom Brady a sellout?

Donovan McNabb has been attacked from every racial angle. A leader of the Philadelphia NAACP ripped McNabb for becoming more of a pocket passer. He's criticized by some for being too close to his parents. His leadership ability has been questioned because he didn't respond forcefully enough to TO's stupidity.

Wow. This dude is as good as it gets. He comes from a great home, wonderful, dignified parents. He's carried himself with class through a ton of adversity. He's a winner. He's exactly what we claim we want pro athletes to be. But somehow that's not good enough. And you think there's not more criticism heaped on black quarterbacks?

http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/7241878

That last line could have been said any better....!

Yep, Whit always tells it like it really is; sad it has gotten him fired too. I love his writing, and this is dead on. I have never been able to understand the "sellout" or "uncle tom" thing; likely I never will because I am white and because I really do think in this day and age we are what we make of ourselves and through the support of our intimate family. There is too much excuse making.

Yep, Whit always tells it like it really is; sad it has gotten him fired too. I love his writing, and this is dead on. I have never been able to understand the "sellout" or "uncle tom" thing; likely I never will because I am white and because I really do think in this day and age we are what we make of ourselves and through the support of our intimate family. There is too much excuse making.

You got that right...:up

I can't believe that the press isn't tearing him a new one. Did anybody see the press conference yesterday? If a white QB said that about a black QB the NAACP would be all over him and would want him to not only apoligize but probably donate money to some charity and do some community service. UNBELIEVABLE!!!

I somewhat agree with your statement because he is standing behind his comments as he stated in ESPN...but the interview was done BEFORE THE SEASON STARTED....

And you don't criticize Rex Grossman....ONLY the Chicago media....for everyone else, they just pick up the story from Chicago....everyone else doesn't even care about Rex Grossman....
I criticize Grossman. He is the worst QB I have ever seen. And he is white. He has been criticized on every sports show in the nation far worse than McblackCrybaby ever will be. Philly would be 2-0 right now if not for releasing Jeff Garcia due to McNabbs' insecurities.

Here is an EXCELLENT article by FOXSPORTS freelance writer, Jason Whitlock:

For reasons far more nuanced than he offered Tuesday night on HBO, Donovan McNabb is right, black NFL quarterbacks face more pressure, scrutiny and criticism than their white counterparts. The assertion is neither debatable nor controversial. In fact, when James Brown's sit-down interview with the star quarterback was over, I wondered how McNabb's comments had caused much of a stir. He'd simply stated the obvious in the most inoffensive way possible. McNabb's comments were not angry, defiant or whiny. They were matter of fact.

They were also incomplete and, therefore, out of context.

I believe McNabb, more than any black quarterback who has played the game, understands all of the obstacles facing a black "franchise" quarterback. And he knows that it would be highly dangerous to put all of the issues on the table. We can't handle the truth. The media aren't equipped to tell it. And he justifiably fears that his black teammates aren't ready to digest it.

You see, many of the roadblocks standing before a black QB are placed there by other African-Americans. Stick with me, let me explain. There is no doubt that racism has been a factor in the level and the intensity of criticism thrown at McNabb since the day the Eagles drafted him.

More important and damaging, racism -- unintentional and intentional -- has contributed to an atmosphere where it is difficult for the average fan or member of the media to recognize a blatantly obvious truth about McNabb's career:

Eagles owner Jeffrey Lurie and head coach Andy Reid have failed to properly support McNabb. The one year they provided McNabb with a legitimate No. 1 receiver (Terrell Owens), he threw 31 TDs and just nine interceptions and led the Eagles to within a field goal of winning Super Bowl XXXIX.

Lurie got away with being embarrassingly cheap because Donovan's young legs compensated for the lack of playmakers in the passing game and a mediocre offensive line. McNabb — injured three of the last five years — has been used up and the Eagles are preparing to spit him out (drafting Kevin Kolb) primarily because the Eagles did not give him the kind of support Peyton Manning, Carson Palmer and to a lesser degree Tom Brady received in Indianapolis, Cincinnati and New England, respectively. McNabb has their talent, their work ethic and their intellect for the game. He's never received their support (Marvin Harrison, Reggie Wayne, Chad Johnson, T.J. Houshmandzadeh, Ben Watson, Randy Moss, Corey Dillon, Deion Branch). And the lack of support isn't just from ownership, fans, media and Rush Limbaugh. As best exemplified during the Owens fiasco, McNabb was sold out by many of his black teammates. This is the uncomfortable truth that we want to ignore. It's a truth that McNabb will probably only address in retirement. Over the last 15 years, the influx of money and the implementation of the salary cap have dramatically changed the politics of the NFL. Franchise quarterbacks, the guys with the $100 million contracts, are given so much money in guaranteed bonuses that the position is now a management job. For instance, because of his contract and importance to the organization, Manning is basically in partnership with owner Jim Irsay, head coach Tony Dungy and offensive coordinator Tom Moore. A typical NFL locker room is 70 percent black. It is my belief that black players are more accepting of a white player being in a management position than a black player. The Owens-McNabb feud was clearly over money and fueled by jealou$y. Owens, an idiot cancer, felt like McNabb should've pressured ownership to rework Owens' contract. Owens labeled McNabb a sellout and the message gained traction in a Philly locker room filled with players disgruntled about Lurie's frugality and envious of McNabb's contract.

Robert Kraft and the New England Patriots are known as cheap and have jettisoned several high-profile, productive black players (Ty Law, Lawyer Milloy, Deion Branch). Has anyone labeled Tom Brady a sellout?

Donovan McNabb has been attacked from every racial angle. A leader of the Philadelphia NAACP ripped McNabb for becoming more of a pocket passer. He's criticized by some for being too close to his parents. His leadership ability has been questioned because he didn't respond forcefully enough to TO's stupidity.

Wow. This dude is as good as it gets. He comes from a great home, wonderful, dignified parents. He's carried himself with class through a ton of adversity. He's a winner. He's exactly what we claim we want pro athletes to be. But somehow that's not good enough. And you think there's not more criticism heaped on black quarterbacks?

http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/7241878

That last line could have been said any better....!

And once again I'll say "lesser QB's have done more with less."

We had that discussion in the Vick thread. Don't get me wrong, I think McNabb is a fine talent, but until he wins the Super Bowl, he'll always be found lacking by most of the people. Just as Manning was, and Marino is.

We had that discussion in the Vick thread. Don't get me wrong, I think McNabb is a fine talent, but until he wins the Super Bowl, he'll always be found lacking by most of the people. Just as Manning was, and Marino is.

Lacking a ring maybe....but that is it. Marino IS one of the top 5 QBs of ALL TIME...regardless on whether he won a Super Bowl or not. SAME will be said about Manning if he continues putting up numbers and never wins another Super Bowl. Jim Kelly went to 4 or 5 and never won a Super Bowl....is he "lacking"?!

Lacking Super Bowl rings, just as you said. That is still the barometer I use for judging QB's. There job is to win games, those are the only numbers that are really relevant. Do you think Marino wouldn't trade a few of those records for some of Montana's, Bradshaw's, or any other winning QB's rings? Statistics are nice, but the most important statistic is the W column.

Back in the early '70's there was a certain quarterback who was booed and called stupid all the time, it was Terry Bradshaw, and for those of you who don't know he's white. If the quarterback sucks he's gonna get booed. IMO McNabb is just making excuses.
Yeah, and there's another quarterback named Joe Gilliam who became the starter for the Steelers when several veterans, including Bradshaw, went on strike. Gilliam kept the job when Bradshaw and the others returned, leading the Steelers to a 4-1-1 record. Yet, despite the record, Gilliam was demoted, and the job was given back to Bradshaw. Gilliam happened to be black. Gilliam was never fully accepted by the blue-collar Pittsburgh area, and he received death threats and other hostile treatment, including tons of hate mail. Gilliam was quoted as saying that his well-documented problems with drugs and alcohol began with his demotion. Even Bradshaw has been quoted as saying that Gilliam had more talent that he did.

I'm getting tired of the black vs white, I have 2 black guy working for me right now ,who are the 2nd and 3rd highest paid on my crew. No one on my crew,ever tries to compair the white and black s@#$. That fact is McNabb,just plain and simple isn't that good anymore. Why the hell does it always have to turn into how ruff it is for the black man. Get over it already!!! He just sucks now. Did anyone watch the games. HE Sucks!! Time for a new quarterback. Oh well thats football.
And this is relevant how...? Are you suggesting that they're getting something they don't deserve?

And this is relevant how...? Are you suggesting that they're getting something they don't deserve?
When your good your good ,when you suck you suck it don't matter what color you are.What i'm suggesting don't even think of turning this into something either!I can already see where your comming from.The guys on my crew work hard and don't think the world owes them anything.

Culpepper was a joke and overrated his whole career! He only had success because had 2 hall of fame recievers [sic], and excellent offensive line, and a good running game.
You could say the same thing about Peyton Manning. This guy has led a charmed life compared to others, even Dan Marino. McNabb and a few others probably would have won Super Bowls if they had all the weapons Manning has had over his career. Bradshaw with the Steelers, Montana and Young with the 49'ers, etc....why don't people ever do a proper comparison when ranking quarterbacks? You give a quarterback crap, and most of the time he's going to produce crap.

I criticize Grossman. He is the worst QB I have ever seen. And he is white. He has been criticized on every sports show in the nation far worse than McblackCrybaby ever will be. Philly would be 2-0 right now if not for releasing Jeff Garcia due to McNabbs' insecurities.
McblackCrybaby? Damn, V, slowly but surely you're coming out of the closet.

This line right here that McNabb says should say everything about how out of touch he sounds with the culture, society and NFL fans. There may be only a handful of people in this world who sincerely feel that there should not be any black athletes playing QB.

If you ask me this entire interview sort of sounds Ricky Williams-esque. Donavan may have a screw loose if he dwells on the race card so much. Perhaps he can not handle the pressure of being a QB in the NFL. And I don't mean because he is black.

But McNabb himself can appear racists as well. He has publicly said on many occasions that he takes this race thing so seriously that he tries to keep "everything black" He has a black agent, black lawyer, his bodyguards are black, his chauffeur is black, etc... Perhaps his mexican gardener is feeling the pressure of performing well because he might be replaced with a black gardener.

And who can forget the superbowl last year. How man times was it drilled into our heads that we are "witnessing history" because a black coach finally made it to the superbowl... as if a black coach was being oppressed and games were being fixed to keep them from getting there. SO many times I was hearing black sportscasters say "we have reached a milestone in racial division". It sounded like the 60's all over again.

The only reason that the black people feel there is racial divide yet, is because they keep it that way. By using it as an excuse when they don't get what a white person gets. I believe Bill Cosby has hit the nail on the head so hard that many in the black community do not want to hear what he has to say. Its a hard pill to swallow. But for those that like to compare America to other countries, all you have to do is look at Europe.

In Europe, hip-hop, and the "ghetto-gangsta", life style is looked at as retarded by black people. Its only in the United States that they glorify and hold that life style so dear. In Europe, no black person feels opressed. In the U.S. many do.

After reading this, some may feel like I am some what racist... and that is fine. That is your opinion. I know I am not. Everyone who is legally a citizen is an American just like I am. What I get sick of, is just because someone is not white, they tell me its my fault because I am holding them back. Any white Donovan McNabb fan, or white NFL football fan should feel like he is calling them out when he spews this rhetoric. Because he is trying to say its their fault he is not playing to his full potential.

Racist? Why don't you tell me how many white athletes have minority agents, lawyers, etc.? Maybe McNabb believes in giving his own people opportunities that others won't give them. Yet, you call him a racist for doing the same thing that the majority of white athletes do? And I've heard far more white sportscasters reminding us of the historical significance of certain events, which stands to reason since the overwhelming majority of sportscasters and reporters are white. While I agree with Bill Cosby, I am also equally tired of no-talent whites blaming "affirmative action" for their dead-end careers. And you speak of Europe like it's some kind of Utopia. Germany, France, etc., have all had their problems dealing with minorities recently.

Racist? Why don't you tell me how many white athletes have minority agents, lawyers, etc.? Maybe McNabb believes in giving his own people opportunities that others won't give them. Yet, you call him a racist for doing the same thing that the majority of white athletes do? And I've heard far more white sportscasters reminding us of the historical significance of certain events, which stands to reason since the overwhelming majority of sportscasters and reporters are white. While I agree with Bill Cosby, I am also equally tired of no-talent whites blaming "affirmative action" for their dead-end careers. And you speak of Europe like it's some kind of Utopia. Germany, France, etc., have all had their problems dealing with minorities recently.
What would make one agree with Bill Cosby? He's Racist,am I right?