McRib

Status
Not open for further replies.
Not back here yet.

I loved those things.

I wish they would bring back the McDLT. Those things were yummy.

Around here we had McPizza and Fried Chicken for awhile none of them lasted long.

McDLT - now that brings me back twenty years! "The Hot Stays Hot, and the Cold Stays Cold!"

I worked at McD's when I was in high school in the mid-80s, and I have clear memories of when we were trained on making those beasts of a sandwich.

I think I ate two that first day; was sick for the rest of the day :D

Is it just me, or is Mc Donalds not the same as it was 15 years ago,
I don't know about 15 years ago, but they have changed from 45 years ago. The burgers are no longer 15 cents. Back then you could get a burger or a cheeseburger. You could get pop or a shake, in one of three flavors, vanilla, chocolate, or strawberry. And of course you could get fries. When I could get'em back in those days, before such things as big Macs or quarter-pounders, I could put away something like 12 to 14 burgers/cheeseburgers. Only had the chance to do that a couple of times. Once at a family gathering when we got about a hundred of'em, and we had a few extra, and at a youth event that got moved indoors because of rain and had a turnout far less than expected. I did my part both times to make sure the food wasn't wasted. Also, back in those days McDonalds were in red and white tile buildings with big golden arches. Now they look like every other building, and lots of them are forced to have some teeny little token arches. And they don't bother putting up the running count of burgers sold anymore.

I myself hate mcd's and I try here and there but still its the same crap. Their prices have gotten higher to so it just about the same price here to go to a real beef hambergur place.

LOL - meat ?? I guess that term doesn't have a standard associated with it, so even earthworms could count. They'd probably even be better for you!

That said, I have eaten many McRibs over the years. We call them "McPigs" in these parts - made with eyes, scrotums, and various misc. and sundry pig parts you really don't want to know about! I even like the pickles. What's the current calorie/carb count?

I love Big Macs too, but at about 540 cals. ea., I don't eat very many of them. In general, I only eat at Micky D's when they're offering 2-fers, and that's only about twice a year around here...

So, at 1080 cals., it's OK to eat them?:D:D:D

I don't know about 15 years ago, but they have changed from 45 years ago. The burgers are no longer 15 cents. Back then you could get a burger or a cheeseburger. You could get pop or a shake, in one of three flavors, vanilla, chocolate, or strawberry. And of course you could get fries. When I could get'em back in those days, before such things as big Macs or quarter-pounders, I could put away something like 12 to 14 burgers/cheeseburgers. Only had the chance to do that a couple of times. Once at a family gathering when we got about a hundred of'em, and we had a few extra, and at a youth event that got moved indoors because of rain and had a turnout far less than expected. I did my part both times to make sure the food wasn't wasted. Also, back in those days McDonalds were in red and white tile buildings with big golden arches. Now they look like every other building, and lots of them are forced to have some teeny little token arches. And they don't bother putting up the running count of burgers sold anymore.

And you ate in your car. serving window to the outside, with maybe a windbreak in the winter, but no inside seating.

I think they had the Filet of Fish by then as a concession to Catholic Fridays (before vatican 2). Hmmm, 45 years ago was 1962. They may have also introduced the double hamburger and double cheeseburger by then.

does that website work for others, it never does for me, select anything comes up done with a bare white page:( toolbar says session expired

Roys was bought by hardees to be converted to hardees. Trouble was converted restaurants failed. Hardees is a poor comparison.

so locations were converted to other restaurants:( at the very end a franchisee who didnt want to convert bought the remnants and is attempting to rebuild.

you need at least a million in liquid assets to buy a franchise. out of my league.

around here there are 2 left on pa turnpike but all service plazas are being rebuilt and I fear they will be gone one day:(
The site works for me, Bob! You're basically correct in that the 6 remaining RRs in PA are almost all on the PA Tpk. There is one in Somerset.

I remember Roy's here in CPA. Good feed for not a lot of money, great for a college student! We'd buy a basic hamburger and take it to the salad bar and add another couple of $$ of stuff. At one point they required that you could only take what would actually "fit" on the burger. We'd still cram it way too full. How'd we do that - well, like their own ad at the time said - "Dam it up with croutons!"

Their fried chicken was pretty good too, even better that KFC's. I think that's what did them in here. They had the all-U-can-eat deals that the students really abused. There was one case where a student was acused of giving some to a friend and thrown out of the store. He returned with his whole dorm floor, and...well...that's a topic for another thread....!

Bogy - I remember those days well too! I worked for a competitor at the time - "Sandy's" - with their "Big Scot". (Bob might remember them, they were around the 'Burgh mostly.) Nothing like a couple of McD's cheeseburgers to knock down a hunger pang. When I was at Sandy's a burger, fries, and a small drink with tax were 59-cents. A penny, nickel, dime, & quarter change back from your dollar! I remember the sign outside - "Over 1 billion sold" was a big event. Big Macs were introduced in our area at 39-cents and were quickly raised to 49.

Last time I went to McD's it cost me over $10 to get out of there, and that was with a coupon and food enough for only 2...!

I don't know about 15 years ago, but they have changed from 45 years ago. The burgers are no longer 15 cents. Back then you could get a burger or a cheeseburger. You could get pop or a shake, in one of three flavors, vanilla, chocolate, or strawberry. And of course you could get fries.

Sound a lot like what In-n-Out burger remains today.

I am glad to see them back, but I have always hated all the pickles they put on it. And I think that maybe iof it were on the menu permanently, I may not like it as well. Maybe mickeyd's is better off just doing it a few times a year.

Sound a lot like what In-n-Out burger remains today.
I thought about adding that In-N-Out was somewhat the heir of McDonalds, even though In-N-Out came first. In August when we were out in California I noticed the menu is a little more complicated than it used to be, but not bad compared to most of the places that try to do it all.

I think someone mentioned the Arby-Q earlier. I noticed just yesterday an ad for the Arby-Q, at least for our area. It definitely got my wife's attention, she loves them.

White Castles are ok if you like liver. I remember the first Thanksgiving after I first moved to the St. Louis area one of the radio stations was discussing recipes for stuffing. One was to just get a bag of White Castles and throw them in the blender, and then put them in the bird. All the basic things that go in many stuffings. Bread, pickles, onions, liver...

Anybody up for some White Castles? I bought a sack of "sliders" last night after bowling.
Still burping them babies up today.

Only had them once in Indianapolis seven years ago. Didn't thrill me. And was totally confused at the counter when I asked for a burger. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)