Me and My Voom Are Parting Ways

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

Trill

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Apr 4, 2004
:( After only a few weeks of Voom service I'm sorry to say that I have to leave the Voom family. My issue revolves around the fact that I ordered 3 receivers when I placed my order, so that I could completely replace the cable television in my home, but the installer was only shipped one. When I called Voom back to inquire as to why only one receiver was shipped, I was told that the records show that I only requested one. I did began my order with one reciever, but while on the phone with the CSR, I changed it to three. I can vividly remember the conversation and the end price I was quoted of well over $100 per month for Va Va Voom and three receivers. Well after a week of calls and three escalations that never resulted in a remedy I told the CSR to schedule a uninstall. I refuse to pay $200 for a truck roll for two receivers that should have been delivered during the first install, and that I've already wired my home for. All I need are the receivers, not another installation. Well now they have to roll a truck to come pick up the equipment. I really enjoyed the service and was more than willing to put up with the current shortcomings. I installed a D* system today and will be with them for at least a year.

I hope you thoroughly explained to Voom while you cancelled. Otherwise, the policy is never going to change.

Ken F said:
I hope you thoroughly explained to Voom while you cancelled. Otherwise, the policy is never going to change.
I agree.
This is one of those "cable company" decisions.:rolleyes:

I ordered 2 receivers but the installer only brought one. Instead of scheduling another install, I met him in Portland and picked it up and installed it myself. All I had to do was unbox it and plug it in as we had already run all the cables and tested them. Installs, Inc was very surprised when I called to activate it but they went ahead and did it.

My installer brought both receivers but had to go back to the office because he forgot the 2nd ota module and extra cables.

Bill

I'd be upset if this was the case. Luckily my installers didn't forget anything (the second time they came out). The first time, the guy forgot a ladder big enough to get on my roof!

Other then that, I'm totally pleased with my Voom service so far. Two weeks with VaVaVoom and I haven't had to reboot either one of my 2 STBs for 12 days now. And no real PQ problems that I have noticed at least for a week now.

Getting VOOM to give you the service you deserve.

Hi "Trill",
Your experience is why I kept (and keep) a detailed log of whom I talk to when ordering a service, the date, the time and a summary of the conversation along with specific service or product ordered. Since we had trouble with our original VOOM installation and thanks to someone on avsforum when I posted our problems over there we posted on Yahoo/VOOM where Wilt picked up the post, passed it on to someone at the head office and our problems were resolved.

We are now happy VOOMers putting up with some minor issues until they get resolved but find something we enjoy watching in HD every day. Last night it was "Barbershop".

Sorry to hear you are dropping your service.

Listening to pianist Lang Lang under sunny Seattle skies, Gill

P.S.: We don't watch HDTV all the time.

If Broadcom is the onyl game in town for the HD stuff then what are all the the TV companies going to do when they are required to put HD recievers in the TV's?

I bet prices don't change one bit when HD recievers are put in.

As with anything prices need to come down for it to be mainstream, and prices will come down.

HD DVR's will never catch on unless they are priced compared to SD DVR's which still seemed not to come down in price as fast as HD prices came down, 199 for the one unit seemed decently priced.

HD HTPC's aren't far off, the decoder/encoder hardware needs to come a ways yet but in the end I could build one helluva PC for that kind of money that would do more.

If HD DVR's make it to mainsteam they NEED to cost the numbers people here are talking, and if they don't, then they will not make it.

It has nothing to do with affordability either, or making it affordable to the consumer its more about what for your dollar does it do?

I stayed away from HD Sat for so long because it was a rip off for how much the companies were charging for HD boxes...now look whats happening...it a period of weeks' a decent Samsung OTA box went from 399 to 99 dollars...

I have never had any problems with the voom customer service. But I really dont agree with the policy of if you want to add another reciever after the initial install there will be a huge charge. Why? It doesnt make sense. I also know Voom is a HD service first and a std service second. But they really have to address the issue that not everyone wants or even has a need for an HD receiver in every room. Why cant they get motorola to make them a Std receiver? What is the problem? I could tell you right now I would add 2 Std boxes, maybe 3. The Std boxes should be free...like DTV does. Maybe they can charge 5 bucks a mth for the service on each additional box. Get it together VOOM. It isnt brain science. I like VOOM enough to have them as a sole provider in my house...but they make it difficult for me and anyone else to do so. Make some Std receivers!!!! Make it easier for people to subscribe and use VOOM throughout the house. I only have one HDTV in my house ....and I have the lowest Voom package. Because Voom makes it so difficult for me to add receivers...I have to have another provider in the house that I have to pay for. If I didnt have to pay for another provider...I would get the Va VA Voom package throughout the house and cancel the other service. Voom is losing out because of stupidity.

vinnyv07--You can run coax out from the Voom STB and feed to a splitter to hook up your other tv's. That limits you to watching the same channel on each of the TV's if you have them on at the same time, but if you only watch one at a time, it's pretty nice. You can get the RF remote extender from Radio Shack, and use that to control 1 STB. I've got 3 TV's running on 1 STB. Two of them HD, the other is SD. I get great video on all 3. Main tv is setup with surround sound, a little LCD has some stand alone amplified speakers, and the SD TV plays sound through it's own integrated speakers. We only watch one TV at a time, so it's a good solution for my particular circumstances. Might be worth a try.

Yes it is a very good feture of the Voom box ...but you have to watch the same ch in every room and if you have kids, you dont want to watch what they are watching. I actually have the VOOM STB output hooked up to a multiswitch that carries the Voom to 4 other tv sets in my house. But it would be nice for VOOm to offer a STD receiver for the other tv's in the house. I wouldnt have to depend on another service to cover for vOOM's shortfalls. Also, Stoneman, I was just looking at that remote control ext...I actually have the Rabbit from years back and I use that to control the VOOM box in my bedroom and the box is in the livingroom...pretty cool.

I remember the joys of parenting, and the battles over what to watch until we got a seperate TV for our daughter. That was back in the pre-satellite days for me. I can't even count the number of times I told her I wasn't interested in watching "Mr. Ed".

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)