Voom OTA antenna type

T2k

Thread Starter
The Raw Nerve
Supporting Founder
Jun 5, 2004
1,856
0
Park Slope, NYC
My OTA reception was always bad, so Voom upgraded my OTA antenna to a huge piece of rooftop one... all I know it is BIG, the biggest one Voom ever had.

It's that hugeass-type, YAGI-like antenna, with many elemnts, tags etc Anybody knows (perhaps a former Voom installer?) the brand/modell of this?
 

OHMS

SatelliteGuys Family
Mar 2, 2005
51
0
SANTA ANA, CALIFORNIA
Post us a snapshot of the OTA antenna please

Now that your Holiday returns are completed; please post a snap shot of your antennae. Others may get one for OTA if it works so great. I read an awful lot of email from folks attempting to get better OTA reception.

mike
 

bobhaze

SatelliteGuys Family
Nov 28, 2004
72
0
OHMS said:
Now that your Holiday returns are completed; please post a snap shot of your antennae. Others may get one for OTA if it works so great. I read an awful lot of email from folks attempting to get better OTA reception.
mike
I don't know what Voom installed for T2K, but after a number of failed experiments with Antennaweb's recommendations, I can recommend the Channel Master 3678 with 7777 preamp. This is a UHF/VHF combo since I needed VHF for some other TV's that were not on the sat, even though all my digital locals are on UHF. If all you need is UHF, the CM4228 and CM7775 combo works even better. I'm about 60 miles away from the towers with reasonably flat terrain, just some low hills in the way.
Bob
http://www.channelmaster.com/images/3678.jpg
http://www.channelmaster.com/home.htm
 

dragon002

SatelliteGuys Pro
Mar 7, 2005
2,656
0
DONORA PA
T2k said:
My OTA reception was always bad, so Voom upgraded my OTA antenna to a huge piece of rooftop one... all I know it is BIG, the biggest one Voom ever had.
It's that hugeass-type, YAGI-like antenna, with many elemnts, tags etc Anybody knows (perhaps a former Voom installer?) the brand/modell of this?
the only ota antennas voom provided were the cm stealth , winegard
sensar and the sensar amplified.

if you got any upgrade, the tech went and bought it ( i would almost always get a prostar 65 inch for 22.95) mark up the price to 65.00 to voom plus a service call of 40.00 . the upgrade was worth about 80.00 to us techs.
 

srinivos

Well-Known SatelliteGuys Member
Jul 1, 2004
32
0
dragon002,

Voom installed a Winegard antenna for me which I continue to use with Dish Network now. But I am not sure if it is the amplified or non-amplified version. How do I find out which one I have? FYI, I have no power source connected to the antenna outside, but he did give me a amplifier which I connect to a splitter inside my apartment.

The deal is the non-amplified is rated for only 25mi range for uhf/vhf while I live about 31mi away from the transmitters. I have poor reception on the sole VHF channel (wfaa/abc in dallas) & sometimes on vhf ones like upn which use a low power transmitter.
Can I upgrade the sensar it to an amplified model(gs2000) ? What other low profile antenna can I use? I live in an apartment & cannot put up huge bowtie(CMs) outside.

Thanks
Nivas
 

srinivos

Well-Known SatelliteGuys Member
Jul 1, 2004
32
0
Both the models look the same from the photo. I would guess that the power supply differentiates it. Do you know where the supply would be hooked up? External attached to the pole or inside near the connection to a tuner?
I read on this forum that a power supply PS-9370 can be used to amplify. Where can I get it?
 

dragon002

SatelliteGuys Pro
Mar 7, 2005
2,656
0
DONORA PA
srinivos said:
Both the models look the same from the photo. I would guess that the power supply differentiates it. Do you know where the supply would be hooked up? External attached to the pole or inside near the connection to a tuner?
I read on this forum that a power supply PS-9370 can be used to amplify. Where can I get it?

there are some differences, the amped ota is about 5.5 inches wide and the passive ota is around 3.5 inches at the "wings" the amped center plastic housing is a "flattened oval" the non amped is flat on the left side and rounded on the right side.
 

srinivos

Well-Known SatelliteGuys Member
Jul 1, 2004
32
0
I finally went up and checked the antenna & from below I see a mark saying "amplified". Also, the power supply says power injector which leads me to believe I have the amplified version. I am unable to tune the VHF channel and 1 or 2 UHF since the last 2 days. I need a more powerful antenna now.
 

dragon002

SatelliteGuys Pro
Mar 7, 2005
2,656
0
DONORA PA
lowes carries the channel master antennas, get one that is marked deep suburban or fringe and don't amp it at first. use an amp only if needed.
 

srinivos

Well-Known SatelliteGuys Member
Jul 1, 2004
32
0
dragon002
Last time I checked they had the really large multi-element CM antennas. Do you know of local B&M stores selling the platinum HD series or even the square shooter?
Also, what is the difference between a pre-amplifier and amplifier for antenna use? Is one better than the other?
 

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Latest posts

Top