OTA and Voom Receivers

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

geekygizmo

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Dec 7, 2003
Tech stuff first,

As it stands right now you can unplug the sat input and unplug the receiver and when repowered the OTA still works with no guide info. I can't say for sure if there is a kill date embeded in the system if no sat sig is received in a certain amount of time, but for now anyway if disconnected from the sat signal before D-Day (when kill hits may go out) then OTA will continue to work at least for the short term.

>Rant>

I will be right with you-all on the Class action suit over purchased receivers, us charter members have a good $100 a month invested to date for just basic service and $130+ a month for vava, much higher then the $40/mo or $80/mo it should have costed us.

I for one am very unhappy over these events, Voom is a needed service I felt it was worth investing some up front money in, now they want to screw me and all other charter members???

>/Rant>

Geeky

just wondering because i tried that as well... when I disconnect my diplexor and install the line only to the antenna in port I get that no signal is received. Is this due to there not being an amplified signal from the satellite or is there another reason? Just curious as where I am living voom was my only hope for hd until I move in the next year or so.

duckydan said:
just wondering because i tried that as well... when I disconnect my diplexor and install the line only to the antenna in port I get that no signal is received. Is this due to there not being an amplified signal from the satellite or is there another reason? Just curious as where I am living voom was my only hope for hd until I move in the next year or so.

You still need to use a diplexer to separate the antenna and satellite signals, unless the coax is carrying antenna only assuming the diplexer closer to the dish has been removed. If the box powered the antenna, you would need a power injector for the antenna.

What about the sweepstakes??

Drawing #1
Drawing Date: 5/15/05
From Entries Received: 3/01/05 - 4/30/05, 11:59pm, EST
Prize Available: 1 Samsung HDTV OR EQUIVALENT, 1 Year of Va Va Voom programming

??????????

Sorry, I meant this as a new thread. NEWBIE

Ronald_Jeremy said:
If your antenna is powered and running through a diplexor multi-switch set up, just unhook the dish from the multi-switch. The ird will then still power the antenna.

so this means that when they install voom they use two diplexors,one on the dish and one on the receiver?

Dusty said:
Drawing #1
From Entries Received: 3/01/05 - 4/30/05, 11:59pm, EST
Prize Available: 1 Samsung HDTV OR EQUIVALENT, 1 Year of Va Va Voom programming

??????????

Sorry, I meant this as a new thread. NEWBIE

I would venture the contest is null and void because there will be no Voom on May 15th. We did not buy a raffle ticket to get in the drawing so we have no stake in the future of the give away.

RULES:

See item #6 below

Official Rules

This sweepstakes is intended for viewing in the U.S. only.
NO PURCHASE OR PAYMENT OF ANY KIND IS NECESSARY TO ENTER OR WIN THIS SWEEPSTAKES.

A PURCHASE DOES NOT IMPROVE CHANCES OF WINNING.

CONSUMER DISCLOSURE
You have not yet won. No purchase or payment of any kind is necessary to enter or win this sweepstakes. A total of five (5) prizes will be awarded each consisting of one (1) Samsung 46" HDTV w/DLP (Model: HLP4663W) OR EQUIVALENT and one (1) year of Voom's Va Va Voom programming service, including Voom professional standard installation, and equipment rental for: one high definition receiver with remote, satellite dish, and digital antenna. (ARV $4,392.00). Total ARV of all prizes: $23,960.00. To qualify you must install the VOOM HDTV Newsletter eBoard onto your computer via the VOOM Interactive CD,
[or from http://www.voom.com/util/eboard.shtml web site] and maintain the VOOM eBoard on your ,computer for the duration of the HDTV Giveaway. Once installed, you must register through the eBoard by providing your email address and obtaining an Internet connection. In order to receive theVOOM service and equipment rental portion of grand prize, the winner must pass a credit check, have a major credit card (debit cards are not accepted) and will be subject to all terms and conditions of sponsor’s customer agreement. Odds: Five (5) winners will be chosen with and the odds of winning will depend on the number of eligible entries received. Restrictions apply. The Sweepstakes commences on March 1, 2005 and ends on December 31, 2005. All entries must be received no later than 11:59 pm, EST on December 31, 2005. Limit one (1) entry per person and email address. Sponsor: Rainbow DBS Company LLC, 200 Jericho Quadrangle, Jericho, NY 11753.

1. Eligibility: To participate in the Sweepstakes, you must: (i) be a legal resident of the United States who is 18 years of age or older as of March 1, 2005; (ii) own a computer and have Internet access as of March 1, 2005; and (iii) have received a special promotional CD from VOOM [or visited the http://www.voom.com/util/eboard.shtml web site to download the VOOM eBoard] Employees of Rainbow DBS Company LLC ("Sponsor"), its divisions, subsidiaries and all coordinating agencies for the “VOOM HDTV Giveaway” (the “Sweepstakes”) and the immediate families of each, or persons living in the same household of such employees are not eligible. Sweepstakes is governed by U.S. law and is subject to all federal, state and local laws. Void outside of the U.S. and where prohibited. By participating in the sweepstakes, participants agree to be bound by these Official Rules and the decisions of the judges, administrators and Sponsor, which shall be final and binding in all respects, and to release Sponsor, its affiliates, divisions, subsidiaries, and all coordinating agencies from any and all liability, claims or damages arising out of their participation in the sweepstakes and/or the acceptance and use of any prize. In case of dispute as to identity of entrant, entry will be declared made by the authorized account holder of the email address submitted at time of entry. “Authorized Account Holder” is defined as the natural person who is assigned an email address by an Internet access provider, online service provider, or other organization (e.g., business, educational, institution, etc.) responsible for assigning email addresses or the domain associated with the submitted email address. A potential winner may be requested to provide Sponsor (defined below) with proof that such winner is the authorized account holder of the e-mail address associated with the winning entry. Any other attempted form of entry is prohibited; no automatic, programmed; robotic or similar means of entry are permitted. Sponsor, its affiliates, partners and promotion and advertising agencies are not responsible for technical, hardware, software, telephone or other communications malfunctions, errors or failures of any kind, lost or unavailable network connections, Web site, Internet, or ISP availability, unauthorized human intervention, traffic congestion, incomplete or inaccurate capture of entry information (regardless of cause) or failed, incomplete, garbled, jumbled or delayed computer transmissions which may limit one's ability to enter the Sweepstakes, including any injury or damage to participant’s or any other person’s computer relating to or resulting from participating in this Sweepstakes or downloading any materials in this Sweepstakes.

2. How To Play: Sweepstakes entry period begins at 10:00am, EST on March 1, 2005, and ends at 11:59pm, EST on December 31, 2005. To participate in the sweepstakes, you must obtain a special promotional CD from VOOM or visit the http://www.voom.com/util/eboard.shtml web site To obtain a promotional CD – limit one CD per person or e-mail address – call toll free 1-800-GET-VOOM by December 15, 2005. To register for the sweepstakes, (i) either insert the special promotional CD into your computer visit the http://www.voom.com/util/eboard.shtml web site; (ii) install the VOOM HDTV Newsletter eBoard onto your computer desktop; (iii) follow the instructions on the CD or in the e-Board website to register your e-mail address into the sweepstakes drawing. In order to be eligible for all prize drawings and prize notification, it is required that you maintain the VOOM eBoard on your computer until December 31, 2005. Anyone who installed the VOOM HDTV Newsletter eBoard onto their computer desktop and registered their e-mail address into the prior VOOM HDTV Giveaway Sweepstakes prior to March 1, 2005 shall be automatically entered into this sweepstakes. Limit one (1) entry per person or e-mail address over the course of the sweepstakes. Sponsor is not responsible for lost, late, incomplete, mutilated, invalid, unintelligible, technically corrupted or misdirected entries, which will be disqualified. All entries become the property of Sponsor and will not be acknowledged or returned.

3. Sweepstakes Drawings: There will be 5 random prize drawings, conducted by an independent judging organization, on the following dates:

Drawing: #1
From Entries Received: 3/01/05 – 4/30/05, 11:59pm, EST
Prize Available*: 1 Samsung HDTV OR EQUIVALENT, 1 Year of Va Va VOOM programming

Drawing: #2
Drawing Date: 7/15/05
From Entries Received: 5/01/05 – 6/30/05, 11:59 pm, EST
Prize Available*: 1 Samsung HDTV OR EQUIVALENT,1 Year of Va Va VOOM programming

Drawing: #3
Drawing Date: 9/15/05
From Entries Received: 7/01/05 – 8/31/05, 11:59Pm, EST
Prize Available*: 1 Samsung HDTV OR EQUIVALENT, 1 Year of Va Va VOOM programming

Drawing: #4
Drawing Date: 11/15/05
From Entries Received: 9/01/05 – 10/31/05, 11:59Pm, EST

Drawing #5
Drawing Date: 1/15/06
From Entries Received:11/01/05 – 12/31/05, 11:59Pm, EST

*See Rule #4 for prize description.

All non-winning entries from previous prize drawing(s) will automatically be entered into all subsequent prize drawings. Odds of winning a prize depend on the number of valid entries received during sweepstakes entry period associated with each prize drawing. Many will enter; only five (5) participants will win a prize. The decisions of the independent judging organization will be final and binding. Potential prize winners will be notified via VOOM HDTV Newsletter eBoard and via email. Potential prize winner will be disqualified and an alternate potential prize winner will be selected if potential prize winner fails to reply to prize notification message within seven (7) days of notification, or if prize notification is electronically returned as “undeliverable”. Potential prize winners will be required to sign affidavits of eligibility, tax acknowledgement forms, liability releases and, except where prohibited by law, use of name and likeness releases (“Winner Documents”) and return Winner Documents within ten (10) days of issuance or potential prize winner will be disqualified and an alternate potential prize winner will be selected. In the event any winner is considered a minor in his/her jurisdiction of residence, such winner’s parent/legal guardian will be required to execute and return all Winner Documents within the required time periods. Prize winners are responsible for all federal, state, local and other taxes on the prize. Allow 6-8 weeks for prize delivery. Limit one (1) prize per person or e-mail address. Sponsor may deny the awarding of a prize to any participant for any ineligibility or non-compliance with these Official Rules.

4. Prizes/Approximate Retail Value "ARV"/Odds: (5) Grand Prizes: Each Grand Prize consists of a (1) Samsung 46" HDTV w/DLP (Model: HLP4663W) OR EQUIVALENT and one (1) year of Voom's Va Va Voom programming service, including Voom professional standard installation, and equipment rental for: one high definition receiver with remote, satellite dish, and digital antenna. PLEASE BE ADVISED IN ORDER TO RECEIVE THE VOOM SERVICE AND EQUIPMENT RENTAL PORTION OF GRAND PRIZE, THE WINNER MUST PASS A CREDIT CHECK, HAVE A MAJOR CREDIT CARD (DEBIT CARDS ARE NOT ACCEPTED) AND WILL BE SUBJECT TO ALL TERMS AND CONDITIONS OF SPONSOR’S CUSTOMER AGREEMENT. Approximate retail value of each Grand Prize is $4,392.00. No substitution of prize will be allowed except by Sponsor in its own discretion if advertised prize is back-ordered or unavailable. Total retail value of all prizes available is $21,960.00.

5. Conditions of Participation & Certain Restrictions: The sweepstakes participant is solely responsible for entering the sweepstakes between March 1, 2005 and December 31, 2005, as well as claiming a prize if selected as a winner. Prizes may not be transferred or assigned. No cash redemptions for prizes. In the event a prize becomes unavailable for any reason, Sponsor reserves the right to substitute a prize of equal or greater value. Acceptance of prize constitutes permission to the Sponsor to use winner's name and/or likeness for purposes of advertising and promotion without additional compensation, unless prohibited by law. If permission is given by sweepstakes entrants, e-mail addresses of sweepstakes entrants may be used for future marketing solicitations by Sponsor. By participating, entrants and winners agree to release and hold harmless Sponsor, its advertising and promotion agencies and their respective parent companies, subsidiaries, affiliates, partners, representatives, agents, successors, assigns, employees, officers and directors, from any and all liability, for loss, harm, damage, injury, cost or expense whatsoever including without limitation, property damage, personal injury and/or death which may occur in connection with, preparation for, travel to, or participation in Sweepstakes, or possession, acceptance and/or use or misuse of prize or participation in any Sweepstakes-related activity and claims based on publicity rights, defamation or invasion of privacy and merchandise delivery.

6. Additional Terms. Sponsor reserves the right, in its sole discretion, to cancel, terminate, modify, or suspend this Sweepstakes should (in its sole discretion) virus, bugs, non-authorized human intervention, fraud or other causes beyond its control corrupt or affect the administration, security, fairness or proper conduct of the Sweepstakes. Sponsor also reserves the right, in is sole discretion, to terminate this Sweepstakes for any reason. In either such case, Sponsor will select the winner from all eligible entries received prior to and/or after (if appropriate) the action taken by Sponsor. Sponsor reserves the right, at its sole discretion, to disqualify any individual it finds, in its sole discretion, to be tampering with the entry process or the operation of the Sweepstakes or Web site. CAUTION: ANY ATTEMPT BY AN ENTRANT TO DELIBERATELY DAMAGE ANY WEB SITE OR UNDERMINE THE LEGITIMATE OPERATION OF THE SWEEPSTAKES MAY BE A VIOLATION OF CRIMINAL AND CIVIL LAWS AND SHOULD SUCH AN ATTEMPT BE MADE, THE SPONSOR RESERVES THE RIGHT TO SEEK DAMAGES FROM ANY SUCH PERSON TO THE FULLEST EXTENT PERMITTED BY LAW.

7. Use of Data. Sponsor will be collecting personal data about participants online, in accordance with its privacy policy. Please review the Sponsor’s privacy policy at www.voom.com. By participating in the Sweepstakes, entrants hereby agree to Sponsor's collection and usage of their personal information and acknowledge that they have read and accepted Sponsor's privacy policy.

8. List of Prize Winners: Names of all prize winners will be available after the termination of the sweepstakes. To receive a list of winners, mail a stamped, self-addressed envelope accompanied with a signed, hand-printed request to "VOOM HDTV Winners' List", PO Box 11508, Bozeman, MT 59719-1508. All requests must be received by January 31, 2006.

9. Sponsor: Rainbow DBS Company LLC, 200 Jericho Quadrangle, Jericho, NY 11753.

10. Name Removal: To have your name removed from this mailing list, and to prevent future promotional mailings, please write to Rainbow DBS Company LLC, 200 Jericho Quadrangle,

A CSR just told me that if you own your stb, it will still work for locals after VOOM shuts down. Since I own mine, I didn't ask about people who rent.

Ota

gonna wait and see if they want my leased unit back or not, in the meantime I bought a VOOM box with card and remote used for $31 and will use it for OTA and hopefully I will end up with 2 OTA boxes for $32 total.

This thread went south (and north), Mod, Please Move the diplexer part to another thread and also the contest, give them new threads. I meant for my thread to continue only IF the behaver of the receivers change or is different then my findings.

Thanks!
GG

Ronald_Jeremy said:
If your antenna is powered and running through a diplexor multi-switch set up, just unhook the dish from the multi-switch. The ird will then still power the antenna.

So if I have this standard install (I have only one cable coming to my STB and get Sat and OTA) and have a TV with a built-in HD tuner, then all I have to do is what you are mentioning?

The STB will continue to power the antenna and I'll have OTA using the tuner on my tv?

I tried plugging the cable that goes into the STB directly to the tuner on my TV to see if it would just work... I could only get a couple of channels where as I get all of them on the STB.

Basically... I would like to use the antenna on the dish to get my OTA... what to do?

1) Unplug the dish input to the diplexer
2) power the antenna somehow.... (how?!)
3) connect directly to built-in HD tuner on TV.../

HELP!!! I can't lose the OTA there is no other viable HD option after Voom dies.!! :confused:

-Thanks

JunX said:
So if I have this standard install (I have only one cable coming to my STB and get Sat and OTA) and have a TV with a built-in HD tuner, then all I have to do is what you are mentioning?

The STB will continue to power the antenna and I'll have OTA using the tuner on my tv?

I tried plugging the cable that goes into the STB directly to the tuner on my TV to see if it would just work... I could only get a couple of channels where as I get all of them on the STB.

Basically... I would like to use the antenna on the dish to get my OTA... what to do?

1) Unplug the dish input to the diplexer
2) power the antenna somehow.... (how?!)
3) connect directly to built-in HD tuner on TV.../

HELP!!! I can't lose the OTA there is no other viable HD option after Voom dies.!! :confused:

-Thanks
What kind of antenna do you have?

I've got confirmation that all receivers will work without satellite signal. Not different from what you all know but they receivers will work as long as it has the last software update.

Sean Mota said:
I've got confirmation that all receivers will work without satellite signal. Not different from what you all know but they receivers will work as long as it has the last software update.
Including the EPG? Will that be updated from OTA sources or will Voomers find themselves looking at no program listings after the last download expires?

JL

If they insist on the box back I will insist that they come out and remove the dish and repair my roof at the same time they pick up the box.

As it stands, EPG (Electronic Program Guide) will not work with no sat signal. Very limited EPG is on the OTA signal anyway, most OTA box's are tied to sat signals for EPG so I would not expect anything there.

I have now left the sat unplugged since I started this thread (about a week) and it still says "No info avl." on all channels but OTA is working fine otherwise.

Sean, Sounds like you got good news on the OTA, unless there is a "Timout" or they send a poison pill before shutting down OTA should continue to work.

GG

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts