From this mornings SKY Report....

salsadancer7

SatelliteGuys Master
Original poster
Jun 1, 2004
South Florida
DISH Eyeing VOOM HD Content?
At least one platform is apparently looking at obtaining some of VOOM's original high-def content, and the service involved may not come as much of a surprise.

EchoStar CEO Charles Ergen said during his monthly "Charlie Chat" with consumers Monday night that the company is exploring an "opportunity" to obtain some of VOOM's HD programming. He wouldn't commit one way or the other on whether the company's DISH Network service will get the HD content, but said that adding any extra HD channels won't happen until the technology is there to deliver the goods.

In fact, EchoStar is looking to MPEG 4 technology to help expand its high-def slate. Once MPEG 4 is rolled out, DISH Network will look at obtaining additional HD programming, Ergen said.

Cablevision operates VOOM, and has plans to shut down the operation April 30 due to lackluster consumer response and the cost of running the satellite TV platform. EchoStar and Cablevision signed a $200 million deal in January that will give EchoStar VOOM's only satellite - Rainbow 1 - and other related assets.

This is what a Dish CSR told me and I reported here. Everyone laughed at me! Maybe there is some truth of this occurring and sooner than latter. Stay tuned for breaking news?

Dish will have MPEg 4 in Early 2006

In the same Charlie Chat, Charlie said Dish will not add significant HD, till he gets MPEG 4 in 2006, that is a whole year away. So don't hold your breath. Maybe Direct TV will have significant HD offerings soon, with the launch of their satellites.

calikarim said:
In the same Charlie Chat, Charlie said Dish will not add significant HD, till he gets MPEG 4 in 2006, that is a whole year away. So don't hold your breath. Maybe Direct TV will have significant HD offerings soon, with the launch of their satellites.

If the sale of Rainbow one is approved the CSR said all that has to be done is change the encoders on the programming and Voom 21 can stay right where it is to be seen by Dish customers. I for on have had a dish pointed at that location for years due to Dish having it's HD at that location before moving it to 110. The HD demo is still at 61.5. Hopefully the deal for the Voom programming will happen with Dish.

If people have been watching Charlie for the past few years should have learned anything it's don't count on ANYTHING that he says as being the truth. Just ask the folks that have 50X PVR's where their NBR software is that Charlie said would be downloaded in February (just one of his many statements that never see the light of day).

Wild and CRAZY ideas here.
First of all all the Fax news did was state what all of us heard him say. But then it went on to speculate between the lines. Maybe there is no between the lines and what Charlie said was what he said. NO MORE HDTV until MP4. That would mean if he did buy the VOOM21 content, we're looking at seeing it a year from now. While it is very true that IF the VOOM21 remained uplinked to the R1 sat all they would need to do is have it reencoded for E* service, BUT, that would mean that VOOM would continue as a network uplinker and there is nothing that Cablevision has said or done to indicate they will continue VOOM as a network provider.
Now if the current VOOM 21 is uplinked from the same uplink center Charlie is purchasing, and he buys the content too and then demonstrates a typical "Charlie Ergan" maneuver of saying one thing and doing another, ie offering the VOOM21 from the new uplink center thru the existing R1, then YES, I agree we will get the VOOM21 as a service from E*. Hey, I'd vote for that too as I already have E* service with the 921 and obviously I have the 61.5 dish all set ready to go. But will it happen? Think about all the conditions that need to change beginning with Cablevision willing to sell to E* for a salvage value price that Charlie would try to pay. Plus, he will then be in the network business. Do you people know what that means? He will incurr a type of business he is not set up to do which is acquire and post up content for the VOOM21 channels. I feel it is more likely that Mark Cuban's company would be a better choice to acquire the existing content but only continue to build new content as he now does. Charlie doesn't have the facility to produce new content unless you all think his ability is great on Charlie Chats and the Bingo channel. Hes good at DBS, not network production. Even Mark Cuban's company only handles 2 channels of production. Maybe a better option is for some company used to multichannel network production to acquire VOOM 21 content and that could be HBO, Showtime, starz etc.
The bottom line is the content is marketable but the whether Cablevision people are smart enough to sell it for the right price is the question. Their current image is to throw the stuff away than to sell it for salvage price.

calikarim said:
Maybe Direct TV will have significant HD offerings soon, with the launch of their satellites.

Correct me if I'm wrong but aren't the upcoming D* satellites strictly to provide LIL HD. LIL I don't need as much as I want more HD overall.

SKrueger said:
Correct me if I'm wrong but aren't the upcoming D* satellites strictly to provide LIL HD. LIL I don't need as much as I want more HD overall.

From http://www.directv.com/DTVAPP/aboutus/headline.dsp?id=01-06-2005A

Local HD programming in the first group of markets will be available mid-year following the successful launch of the Spaceway 1 and Spaceway 2 satellites in the second quarter. The launch of these satellites and two others - DIRECTV 10 and DIRECTV 11, scheduled to go aloft in early 2007 - will play a vital role in the dramatic expansion of programming capacity for DIRECTV, announced last September.

The Boeing-built Spaceway 1 and 2 satellites will have the capacity for more than 500 local HD channels, bringing local HD programming to most of the U.S. population, and will enable DIRECTV to continue to expand standard-definition local offerings and other enhancements. DIRECTV 10 and 11 will have the capacity for more than 1,000 additional local HD channels and more than 150 national HD channels and other new programming offerings. All four satellites will use spot-beam technology to deliver local channels.

So taking this as fact no new HD national channels on the Spaceway birds and we need to wait until early 2007 for additional HD capacity. Now it doesn't say that D* will or won't add new national HD channels before then but I'm tired of waiting, Comcast is coming out on 4/27 and I'm going to give them a try to see how they are now.

Indy said:
This is what a Dish CSR told me and I reported here. Everyone laughed at me! Maybe there is some truth of this occurring and sooner than latter. Stay tuned for breaking news?

No one is laughing, it is just that Charlie has a long history of unfulfilled promises. How bout those still non-functioning fire-wire ports on the HD DVR as one of many examples.

It will be great of E* picks up some of Voom's HD content. However, I would NOT sign up with E* based on a rumor that this might happen. Your best bet for the moment may be to stick with cable and THEN make the jump IF either E* or D* comes through in a year or so.

None of the existing providers seem to be chomping at the bit to acquire Voom programming.

I speculate, I stress speculate, that for Voom programming to survive, C. Dolan will have to launch a new private DBS company. Hopefully, the second time around he will be able to see this venture take off.

What about the leased transponders?

Remember that Cablevision still owns the transponders that were leased from AMC-6 satellite? They could easily upload the exclusive 21 channels to this satellite and through contracts, allow certain providers to downlink their channels in return for a fee.

There is no reason why VOOM LLC couldn't offer the VOOM channels to Dish subs directly if they leased back the transponders and changed the encoders and CA. It could be something like what Sky Angel is doing, but in this case the lease deal would be just the opposite, with E* holding the TP licenses. It would be a cheap easy low-risk way for Charlie to say he was offering more HD content to Dish subs. If it fell through he could always terminate the lease and put up something more profitable, like shopping channels!

According to the WSJ, some are speculating that CableVision's move on Adelphia is in part a ploy. Charles will agree to back off if Comcast agrees to carry some of the Voom programming. Thus, you could likely see Voom programming on cable before you see it on satellite. Ergen has already stated many times that there will be no more HD content before MPEG-4. That could be a long time based on E*'s track record with new technology.

Unfortunately, C. Dolan can give VOOM21 away, but who has the bandwidth to carry them...not Cable, not D*, not E*...not yet. Maybe only after Verison comes up to speed and D* and E* migrate to MPEG-4.

riffjim4069 said:
...who has the bandwidth to carry them...not Cable, not D*, not E*...not yet.

If I've got my numbers right, any cable company can easily get more than the required bandwidth for these 21 channels just by migrating some (or all) of their analog channels to digital.

Amphicar770 said:
Ergen has already stated many times that there will be no more HD content before MPEG-4. That could be a long time based on E*'s track record with new technology.

I thought he used the term "SUBSTANCIAL HD content." Maybe he is like Clinton and trying to parse was "is" is. For him...what does "substancial HD "mean?

So what IS Charlie planning on doing with the additional capacity he will be getting from Rainbow? The satellite has plenty of capacity with the spotbeams and all, and with three uplink facilities, surely even with MPEG-2 encoding at least SOME of the VOOM channels could survive in a repackaged trimmed down offering. Out of 21 channels currently offered, perhaps it could be trimmed down to 10 and made into a viable second HD tier for say $15.00/mo to anyone with an HD-capable DVB receiver?

dlsnyder said:
So what IS Charlie planning on doing with the additional capacity he will be getting from Rainbow?

Well, I haven't seen any international shopping channels on E*, maybe he'll add some of those. ;)

rad said:
Well, I haven't seen any international shopping channels on E*, maybe he'll add some of those. ;)

You should see how cool those "Easy Pancake Maker" infomercials look in HD......

Well Charlie bought a spot beam satellite from Cablevision. I would be suprised to se him not use those spot beams. Charlie will probably try and beat D* to some HDLIL markets befor Space Way is fully functional.