From the 4/15 SKY Report.....

salsadancer7

SatelliteGuys Master
Original poster
Jun 1, 2004
South Florida
SkyFILES: What Killed VOOM?
by Michael Hopkins mhopkins@mediabiz.com

The service enrolled only 40,000 customers in a year and a half of operation. It bled lots of cash for its parent company. And Wall Street certainly was no fan of the satellite-based pay-TV platform coming from an established cable operator and entering a mature business that had two aggressive services already with tens of millions of customers.

But were those the only challenges that doomed VOOM?

Certainly, the idea behind Cablevision-backed VOOM - delivering a comprehensive lineup of high-def programming to consumers - was ahead of its time. There are bullish prospects floating around about how HD will capture the hearts of millions of TV viewers in the coming years. And more consumers everyday are checking out what's considered the future of television.

But was VOOM too way ahead of its time?

People are buying HD sets, but according to recent research from Ipsos-Insight overall consumer interest in high-def is flat.

The firm conducted a survey in October that found 72 percent of consumers labeled HD sets as "too expensive." The Ipsos-Insight survey also discovered that only one-third of respondents say they are somewhat likely or very likely to buy HD sets in the near future.

But consumer concerns about buying a TV set for the same price as a used compact car wasn't the only nail in VOOM's coffin. There also are questions about VOOM's programming strategy.

The 21 HD originals VOOM offered its customers were a hit. Whether it was "Monsters," which offered HD horror films, or news in high-def, the attempt to deliver original HD fare was a noble feat by VOOM and Cablevision's Rainbow programming unit.

But VOOM's programming lineup missed the one key ingredient: Local TV channels.

When VOOM launched in October 2003, DirecTV and EchoStar's DISH Network already had dozens of local TV markets locked up for its customers. Facing severe spectrum limitations, VOOM decided to go with an off-air antenna for reception of local channels, and that could've been a fatal misstep by the service.

Consumers flocked to the small dish by the hundreds of thousands after November 1999 when satellite TV gained the ability to deliver local TV channels. Those viewers proved they didn't want to receive local TV channels via rabbit-ears. They want their locals via satellite.

There's no doubt observers will debate for months - maybe even years - about what went wrong at VOOM. And there's no question some will ponder VOOM's decision not to go local, among the other gaffes that eventually will put VOOM to rest on April 30.

Also in the SKYReport.....they mentioned this in another article....

Street Eyes Satellite TV's 1Q
What can you expect from satellite TV for the first quarter?

Tom Watts of SG Cowen said he expects a good first quarter for DirecTV, with the service returning to lower churn and seasonally lower, but strong, net adds. Watts said he expects DirecTV to report 364,000 net adds for the three-month period.

Also, the SG Cowen analyst said he expects EchoStar's DISH Network to post 300,000 net customer additions for the first quarter

I can believe the OTA was a major problem. I had no luck at all getting Voom to install an OTA antenna. I've also heard tons of reports here complaining of missing a few locals or locals pixelating badly. That and a lot of other install problems.

I also think no RSNs killed it for them. Not too many people are willing to give up on their local sports.

Oh well...
-John

To make money in a subscriber based business, you have to appeal to the lowest common denominator. Albeit a great idea to most of us that frequent the forums, the most HD isn't what the masses want.

OTA is a major problem in the high tech region of upstate (Rochester) NY that should be a similar picture of the rest of the US. Here are the current power levels in KW of the 5 majors for an OTA.

ABC (WHEC- Ch 10) SD-316, Ch 59 HD-8.7
CBS (WORC- Ch 8 ) SD-316, Ch 42 HD- 1.74
NBC (WHAM -Ch 13) SD-316, Ch 58 HD-38.0
FOX (WUHF -Ch 31) SD-1200 Ch 28 HD- 1.9
PBS (WXXI - Ch 21) SD-1230, Ch 16 HD-200

I live within 15 miles of all 5 stations and had to advise VOOM customer service of the OTA and amp I needed. What amazed me though is that they made the special order. Until the panel type OTA was installed I had constant dropouts if I received all 5 channels at all. So D* & E* did make a right move with HD locals on the dish. But until the locals go to full power (which cost them money too) a company with an OTA like VOOM was restricted. After all the most important channels to the public are there local stations

-Scott

HDwonderer said:
OTA is a major problem in the high tech region of upstate (Rochester) NY that should be a similar picture of the rest of the US. Here are the current power levels in KW of the 5 majors for an OTA.

ABC (WHEC- Ch 10) SD-316, Ch 59 HD-8.7
CBS (WORC- Ch 8 ) SD-316, Ch 42 HD- 1.74
NBC (WHAM -Ch 13) SD-316, Ch 58 HD-38.0
FOX (WUHF -Ch 31) SD-1200 Ch 28 HD- 1.9
PBS (WXXI - Ch 21) SD-1230, Ch 16 HD-200
No offense since one of my best friends lives in the Rochester area (Churchville), but your high tech area needs to buy a bigger hamster. Those kW numbers are dismal compared to other DMAs your size...just look at Omaha NE for example. You should be very upset with your local broadcasters who are stunting the growth of DTV and HDTV in your area IMO. The good news is that your local broadcasters are mandated to be a full-power NTL July 2006.

riffjim4069 said:
No offense since one of my best friends lives in the Rochester area (Churchville), but your high tech area needs to buy a bigger hamster. Those kW numbers are dismal compared to other DMAs your size...just look at Omaha NE for example. You should be very upset with your local broadcasters who are stunting the growth of DTV and HDTV in your area IMO. The good news is that your local broadcasters are mandated to be a full-power NTL July 2006.

Is there a website in which I can check to see what power level my local's are transmitting at?

riffjim4069 said:

You also have to understand the factor of supply and demand. Power cost money. And in New York state, we have the HIGHEST f' taxes in the nation. Shoot they are even talking about taxing Toilet Paper here. So any broadcaster with any mind does not want to power up to full until the government mandate. They don't have any need to. They know that all the local people can still watch them on the SD channels. If Dish has HD or SD local the broardcasters don't really make that much more. Sure there is some incentive for the select special events or shows in HD. But that may not be enough.

As for Links. Here are two that I know of. One is national for list. The other is Western NY for listing and power.
http://antennaweb.org/aw/Address.aspx
http://www.capitalgold.org/dials.html

-scott

In time it will all come together. I guess we here are just a little ahead of time. Yet because of all of us here we move the future closer. :)

HDwonderer said:
As for Links. Here are two that I know of. One is national for list. The other is Western NY for listing and power.

-scott

In time it will all come together. I guess we here are just a little ahead of time. Yet because of all of us here we move the future closer. :)

Anyone know of any links with nationwide OTA channel listings with power levels? I can't find the power info at antenaweb.org.

Alto101 said:
Anyone know of any links with nationwide OTA channel listings with power levels?
Here's a link to the FCC's web site 'TVQ TV Query Database'. You can select by State, and even by type of service (Radio, Analog TV, Digital TV, Low Power, etc.) It provides A LOT of information about the stations.

I live in the #1 DMA in the country and only can get 1 local channel.

LIL has alway been satellite's killer app and will alway be. I would never have swiched to satellite from cable if there was no locals.

I still need to hear the weather and traffic so I can get to work. I know I can go on the web but locals still are important. People use them for school closings and other jazz.

RPacion said:
Here's a link to the FCC's web site 'TVQ TV Query Database'. You can select by State, and even by type of service (Radio, Analog TV, Digital TV, Low Power, etc.) It provides A LOT of information about the stations.

Thanks for the great link. What is considered full power for digital stations? A few of my locals are at 1000kW, one at 600kW, a couple at 60kW and one at 27kW. Will all of these stations be required to go to full power in July?

Well I had problems with my locals but i wasnt going to give up and neither did my installers. They brought out three different antennas and the third one worked like a charm. I had so many Hd channels that the wait was well worth it. From my first OTA antenna until my third one took about 2 weeks. I am not high tech on antennas but I have an antenna in my attic that is about 15 feet long and 5 feet wide. This sucker is huge, just glad i had the space in my attic. I live in suburb north of houston and they said it must get a signal from missouri city that is about 60 miles away..... I get 25 local channels and about 3 i dont get. The ones i dont get i dont watch anyways.

HDwonderer said:
You also have to understand the factor of supply and demand. Power cost money. And in New York state, we have the HIGHEST f' taxes in the nation. Shoot they are even talking about taxing Toilet Paper here. So any broadcaster with any mind does not want to power up to full until the government mandate. They don't have any need to. They know that all the local people can still watch them on the SD channels. If Dish has HD or SD local the broardcasters don't really make that much more. Sure there is some incentive for the select special events or shows in HD. But that may not be enough.

-scott

Scott,

Let me get this straight...your taxes are astronomical therefore it's totally acceptable for your DTV stations to be underserving the local community???

Also, you claim to live in a tech-savy area yet your digital broadcast services are way behind the times...and you defend your broadcasters decision to provide minimally acceptable services without violating FCC orders???

Sorry, but I receive programming from DC (55+ miles), Richmond (51+ miles), Charlottesville VA (53+ miles) and Baltimore MD (90+) miles. Almost all stations in these DMAs have been at full-power for 2 or more years. IMO there is simply no excuse for your local broadcasters not being at or near full authorized power at this late date and people in the Rochester area should be very upset. You were correct when you mentioned this was a Supply and Demand issue...until the people in your community Demand reliable digital television then your local broadcasters will continue to Supply you with substandard and antiquated service. It is this type of conplacency that got Xerox and Kodak into so much trouble and why people are now buying Canon copies and Fuji film.

Anyway, I hope you and your community receive better DTV service prior to July 2006.

Website for broadcasting power and other info...

Check this out:

http://www.2150.com/broadcast/default.asp

If you input your latitude, longitude and magnetic declination, it'll report all the digital stations within the radius you specify. The report shows station, license status, facility, city, licensee, direction (from your location), distance (from your location), ERP/HAAT and the transmission pattern. Pretty cool site. It really helped me when I originally set up my system with antenna tower and rotator.

riffjim4069 said:
Scott,
"Let me get this straight...your taxes are astronomical therefore it's totally acceptable for your DTV stations to be underserving the local community???

Also, you claim to live in a tech-savy area yet your digital broadcast services are way behind the times...and you defend your broadcasters decision to provide minimally acceptable services without violating FCC orders???

Sorry, but I receive programming from DC (55+ miles), Richmond (51+ miles), Charlottesville VA (53+ miles) and Baltimore MD (90+) miles. Almost all stations in these DMAs have been at full-power for 2 or more years. IMO there is simply no excuse for your local broadcasters not being at or near full authorized power at this late date and people in the Rochester area should be very upset. You were correct when you mentioned this was a Supply and Demand issue...until the people in your community Demand reliable digital television then your local broadcasters will continue to Supply you with substandard and antiquated service. It is this type of conplacency that got Xerox and Kodak into so much trouble and why people are now buying Canon copies and Fuji film."

You seem to want to attack me for some reason. I do not defend anyone. I try to understand. State facts with reason based on true documents. Show me your proof. I backed up my statements. And yes we are the highest taxed state with yours high also. They have alot to do with it. It is more money lost by TV staions. But it is not the main reason for low power. And yet like in your state most companies try to find MIN. ways to follow rules and laws. I am quite sure that when you look for and supply proof for power levels you will find the stations in your area with the exception of maybe one (that you receive) are NOT at full power let alone for two years. I pick up 24 stations including a few from Canada over the air. 8 are HD. but it is with the best equipment.

As far as Kodak and Xerox As well as the state where you live. They were complacent in their times. However FACT- Today Kodak is #1 in the US and #3 in the world for Digital photography and is the only one between Sony Cannon, Olympus and Nikon that is showing growth. Proof In film I don't know what you have been reading but I would like to see the proof there too. Kodak is #1 in film and GAINING market share. Granted the film market is loosing ground to Digital. Xerox is now also growing again and moving up over Cannon. If you need proof I can supply you with the surveys and documentations.

I respect your past USMC service. Like I, you have a Business Degree. Let us work in that way in the forum. Look I AGREE that OTA hurt Voom. I was only backing my statement up. And trying to shed light.

If you respond to this it would be myand our hope on this forum that you show us your proofs.

By the way. What is you first name.
-scott

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)