Me vs. Apartments

Railing is part of common space. Can only be placed on area you have "exclusive use and control (deck platform)" and cannot extend beyond railing. The Co. that did the install will have the original paperwork filed with contract, DHA form, etc. if not this could be your out from Dish.

The original guy who came out was an actual DISH tech, I do believe (he came out in a DISH truck). The tech that repositioned it was an independent contractor. There is a DISH office very close to me, but I'm not sure where it is (I live in Arlington near the stadiums and Six Flags if anyone knows where the DISH office is).

The original tech gave me his personal cell number if the dish needed to be repositioned, but the number was out of service by the time it needed to be moved.

Tht corner as low as possible inside the rail is your best bet. Since the ceiling overhang is about 7 foot high, there may be at least a 60 degree or more lock angel clearance, if you place th dish as close to the floor as possible.

I checked my own 10004 A dish. The stub needs only to be about 6 inches long. Ideally, it can be a heavy steel plate with a 1-1/4 inch "nominal" pipe stub weld to it vertically. That will make the pipe 1-5/8 inch diameter actual. You can use wedges or other devices to plumb it. For me, I'd drill and tap the plate in four places and put leveling bolts in four corners like a washing machine. If it is heavy enough, it wouldn't move.

Is this dish within their exclusive area?

Sent from my iPhone using SatelliteGuys

Attachments

• image-2086691415.jpg
    image-2086691415.jpg
    81.7 KB · Views: 236
TNGTony said:
HAHAHAHAHA!!!!! In case it was a serious question.... Um... NO! :) It would need to be within the railing.

Not a serious question. Came across that dish on a new connect at that apartment. New customer old set up. Luckily they were getting international programming so the 500+ dish was proper. Called my fsm to clear it because it certainly isn't dns code. Thank god the signal was good because I couldn't reach the dish to tune it. For the record, whoever installed it took a lot of time. The footplate was into the porch deck with struts securing it. It was very sturdy and likely not moving.

Sent from my iPhone using SatelliteGuys

FYI, regarding any time frame to take down a dish, according to the OTARD rules, if its being contested you are allowed to leave it up till there is a ruling. Sounds like its time to arbitrate.

I hate apartments and HOA's!!!

Never got word back on the document. Figured I would not; don't think I would have had any success making multiple calls to ask.

Ended up taking the dish down, fooled with it for a bit, but it would not pick up signal no matter where it was placed. Didn't mess with it any further and called Dish to downgrade my service. As I'll still have some service, will mess with it sooner or later.

However, there are two units that are vacant and will inquire about them in the coming days. They are both facing south and have a clear LOS. Not exactly moving just for the dish; my neighbors have Night at the Apollo almost every night and I've had it up to here to put it nicely. The new downstairs neighbor also must be deaf.

Want to thank you guys again for the help. It was much appreciated.

Never got word back on the document. Figured I would not; don't think I would have had any success making multiple calls to ask.

Ended up taking the dish down, fooled with it for a bit, but it would not pick up signal no matter where it was placed. Didn't mess with it any further and called Dish to downgrade my service. As I'll still have some service, will mess with it sooner or later.

However, there are two units that are vacant and will inquire about them in the coming days. They are both facing south and have a clear LOS. Not exactly moving just for the dish; my neighbors have Night at the Apollo almost every night and I've had it up to here to put it nicely. The new downstairs neighbor also must be deaf.

Want to thank you guys again for the help. It was much appreciated.

Good luck to you! Hope you get it all worked out. Keep us updated.

Ghpr13:)

Some interesting developments...

I spoke with one of the apartment office workers today. They said a tenant spoke with one of the regional managers who was on site that day; they are no longer enforcing the dish locations (but still use common sense when installing). There are other tenants who had their dishes mounted to rails much like mine and weren't taken down at the May 16th cutoff.

So, it looks like I'll be remounting my dish very soon. However, I will probably get an installer to come out again to reinstall it properly. With that said, is there anyone recommended in the Arlington, TX area? I would do it myself, but don't have the proper tools, patience or friend assistance to get it done correctly. I don't mind paying and not looking to get off cheap; I like to learn the technology and not just have someone 'come do it'. The independent tech did a fine job, but he had a thick latin accent and it was hard to understand.

If you have the service plan, pay the $15 to dish and have them schedule DNS to come reinstall it. In Arlington you may even get a same day appointment if you call by 3pm.

You may want to consider putting it back up yourself. You probably didn't change the elevation or skew when you took it down. With those two settings already done, all that's left is getting the pole plumb & twisting the dish on the pole until you have good signal.

That would save you a little money. But better yet, it would save you the time & hassle of coordinating with another installer.

Cheers

If you hadn't moved any of the adjustments on the alt-azmuth or skew adjustments, you may be in luck. All you'd have to do is to remount the pole on the rail, making sure that the pole is perfectly plumb.

Then, you'll set up the receiver with the built-in signal meter and swing the dish from right to left, until you lock on to the signal.

It's not that hard. I recently moved an EA dish like this recently with success.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts