Media Center and Dish Network News

Hmm, strange but also not surprising.

I do know that the beta for the program was terminated and beta testers were required to send back their equipment that Dish sent them. But I did not hear the project was terminated.

Ben from Engadget contacted me a few weeks ago asking me about what I know and he told me that the product would be released at CEDIA, so after that I snooped around to find out this was not the case and that nothing new product wise was going to be announced at CEDIA and that none of their big PR folks would be there.

I have been in contact with a number of beta testers throughout the trial and all of them really liked the product and was told that their were sad that the beta was over. But none of them told me that the project was terminated, so I was a little surprised to read that this morning at Engadget.

I do know that over the next year Dish is looking to simplify things and wants to upgrade most folks so that they have a 211, 622/722/722k or 922. They only want to support 3 receivers, they think by doing this it will be easier to support the customer. I am sure trying to support a customer on a Windows Media setup would have been a nightmare as every PC is different and this could have been a major factor in the decision to shelf the project.

That's what my DishMover installer told me last week. Those are the only receivers they install anymore in the Chalotte area. He carries a 622 with him in case of a service call, though.

Dishnetwork is retarded. This is Dish were talking about they will screw-up customer service with only 3 receivers also.

"Please unplug your receiver for 30 seconds, please hold. I am back did that fix your problem?" No it did not. " Ok please unplug your receiver for 1 min and hold the power button and jump on 1 foot, did that fix your problem?" Nope! " well we did all the steps for all 3 receivers we have listed, dish will send you a replacement. Thank you"

Wait I fixed it I forgot my receiver was on standby! " thats ok dishnetwork will still send you a replacment. Thank you for calling dish have a nice day. "

I am guessing you have never called Dish Network for tech support.

They are super at troubleshooting and are also penny pinchers they will not send you a replacement receiver unless they really have to.

I have had a few times when I knew my receiver was dead and yet they still had me troubleshoot anyways...

I have called there tech support thats exactly how it happens they make you unplug your receiver to trouble shoot it. I am on my 3rd receiver with them. I have paper proof they have sent me 2 receivers. I had a 622 went bad lost all my recordings then sent me a 2nd receiver 622, 6 months later it went bad. They had a guy come out he brought a 722. Been 1 yr so far no issues wit the 722, you can read all my posts to see I have had 3 receivers with Dish. I am not the only one who has had another 622 a few months later, who posted the exact same thing on here at sat guys.

Last edited:
I agree with both of you. They definitely troubleshoot before sending you out a newly refurbished receiver. But sometimes their troubleshooting is just plain inane. It doesn't matter that you just performed the tests they want; you have to do the same thing all over again. It doesn't matter if you have to run up and down the stairs 10X. They'll wait on hold. :(

I agree with both of you. They definitely troubleshoot before sending you out a newly refurbished receiver. But sometimes their troubleshooting is just plain inane. It doesn't matter that you just performed the tests they want; you have to do the same thing all over again. It doesn't matter if you have to run up and down the stairs 10X. They'll wait on hold. :(

I used to fix electronic things and you ALWAYS want to do your own checks.
The Tech guys need to have you do the checks so he knows that the checks have been
done. Just because you said that the checks had been done he does NOT know if you did them or that you did them right.
The Tech is just doing his job give him a break.

The Tech is just doing his job give him a break.
I'd give them more than a break if I were their manager. I'd give them the discretion to use their own judgement, when on the line with an obvious expert. What a novel idea: actually listen to the customer and treat him or her as an individual...

Nah, the world would surely come to an end if management ever did that. ;)

Even "experts" make mistakes. By going through all the troubleshooting steps, the tech can document that the tests were completed properly. Can you honestly say that you've never accidentally skipped over a step in troubleshooting. Or, perhaps, you intentionally skipped a step, assuming that was not the issue, only to find out that it was?

Unless a given phone tech knows you personally, they're not going to take your word that you're an expert. Overall, it's more cost effective to verify the problem before sending a new unit so that only those who need new units get them.

ummm OK but the question here is that Dish has only 1 step. The step is unplug and wait 1 min, plug back in and now "does it work?"

I hate to say it, but you would be surprised at how (for the lack of a better term) dumb people can be.

I mean, to the point where, they insist they did everything, and it turns out they did not have the box plugged in, or the power switch was off, or something very dumb.

It happens, sadly. However, if you are a bit more prepared when you call dish (and go thru the run through), it helps.

Namely, if you bring out the whole "the hdd is clicking loudly", or "my receiver is on fire", it tends to help a bit more (especially if that is the problem, not that any Dish receiver I've had has ever caught fire, just an example!)

And, even then, they go thru their checklist, so I suppose +1 to them for that! But after a good 20 min on the phone, and if the box is actually dead, you usually get a replacement within 2 days - they are very quick about it!

Unfortunately this add on will never be released which is why they are only showing it off as a proof of concept instead of a future product. I have heard from a lot of the beta testers of the now terminated stargate project beta team who told me while it was nice, it was buggy and was not something the adverage consumer could use or would want to use.

It might have been nice for us hobbiests to play with it, but again Dish is looking to simplify support and this would have generated a lot of support calls.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)