Men In Trees -- ABC Premieres Tonight

Sean Mota

SatelliteGuys Master
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Sep 8, 2003
New York City
From one of the headwriters and executive producers of "Sex and the City" and the director of the Academy Award(r)-winning film, "Walk the Line," comes a fun and sexy ensemble drama about finding love in the most unexpected places.

"Finding a good man in today's world isn't as difficult as some women think. You just have to watch out for the signs. You wouldn't drive with a blindfold on, but for some reason, women continue to date with one..." So native New Yorker Marin advises a crowd of her devoted fans. Marin thinks she has found her good man, fianc? Graham, but discovers, bound for a speaking engagement in Elmo, Alaska, that he's been cheating on her. Plans for the wedding come to a screeching halt. Concluding that she really doesn't know anything about men, Marin resolves to temporarily stay in Elmo, where the ratio of men to women is ten to one, and get started on her new book - about men.

Marin's subjects are quite a lively bunch. Adorably affable Patrick, an avid fan of Marin's books, runs the town's only inn and radio station. Man's man Buzz owns and flies the only plane in and out of Elmo. Sophisticated Ben runs the town's only bar and has an unusual past. Last but definitely not least, strong and silent Jack protects the environment and comes to protect Marin from a possibly rabid raccoon and, occasionally, herself.

There are women in Elmo too. Both Theresa, Ben's estranged wife and former rock musician, and Sara, the town's "working girl," introduce Marin to a whole new way of thinking about men. And of course there's Annie, Marin's biggest fan, who moves to Elmo after hearing about Marin's break-up to reassure her -- mostly by quoting the relationship advice she has learned from Marin's books. Back in NYC, Marin's tough-girl editor, Jane, lends her long distance support, and even braves the ice and bad cell phone reception for the occasional visit.

http://abc.go.com/primetime/menintrees/about.html

hard to get into this type of show... seen it once and seen it enough... women writter telling you about relationship and how it should be.... drop after 10 minutes.... good luck...

This show is easily Northern exposure 2.0

THat said, I liked Norther Exposure and my Wife likes this show. I like it too.

The only problem I have with it is the quirky cop lady. A little to quirky and unrealistic.

Any idea on how the ratings are going?

Here is what Zap2it has to say from last Friday:

At 9 p.m., the Bob Saget-hosted "1 vs. 100" had a 7.8/13 in its first airing, beating the time slot's normal winner, "Close to Home," which had a 7.3/13. FOX's baseball had a 5.5/10 for the hour, nipping the 5.1/9 for ABC's "Men in Trees." The CW's wrestling remained stable

Normally Sean provides us lots of these statistics, but he has been absent from the board for more than a week. I hope he is on some nice island somewhere without internet :D

I like this show, and tried to get my wife to watch it (there is so little she likes, and this doesn't have cops or lawyers as the primary theme of the show). But she isn't really getting into it.

ABC has ordered four more episodes for "Northern Exposure 2.0" (as a previous post labeled Men in Trees.) I am glad; I enjoy the show. Its different from the average fare.

Schedule Change: Men in Trees moving to Thursday after Grey's Anatomy on November 30.

Curious to see how it will impact its ratings; I suspect it will get a "bump" from Grey's.

This also means that Six Degrees is either 1) moving or 2) done. Not sure which yet.

ABC has also given Men in Trees a full season schedule.

Glad -- its one of the one's my wife likes. And as BlackHitachi said: "if she's happy, I am happy." :D

Northern Exposure vs. Men in Trees

Ok, I knew when Men in Trees started that in many ways it was a copy of Northern Exposure; transplanted New Yorker (woman this time instead of the very young Rob Morrow, with way too much hair); eccentric characters; focus each day on the radio station; but after watching the first week and half of UHDs airing of Northern Exposure, the comparisons are even stronger...

for example, Maurice "adopts" Chris; whereas Patrick in Trees is the son of the black bush pilot Buzz. Chris in NE is the radio guy; Patrick in Trees is the radio guy

Its kind of like reading Terry Brook's Shannara series (the original trilogy) as a kid, AND ONLY LATER discovering the magic of Lord of the Rings, and realizing how much Brooks drew from Tolkien. It doesn't make the Sword of Shannara any less magical for me; if anything it pays respect to the master (Tolkien, not Sauron).

Along the same lines, I still like the new Men in Trees, even though Ann Heche certainly is not Janine Turner. If it draws from the best of Northern Exposure, all the better. Heck, its been 11 years since Northern Exposure went off the air.

Hiatus

Men in Trees will go on hiatus March 15th to make room for ABC's new drama October Road.

According to ABC, it is scheduled to return in its regular slot after Grey's Anatomy after the run of October Road.

It is not horrible but it is not too terribly origianl either. I don't se it lasting.

It is not horrible but it is not too terribly origianl either. I don't se it lasting.

Its definitely not original; without a doubt a play off of Northern Exposure; but its ratings have done much better since the switch to follow Grey's. I would not be surprised if it gets a second season.

A lot of things get second seasona and more but I still think that they coudl do better.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)