METV CH 247 Missing?

EXACTLY! Or more SERVICES, such as streaming Netflix, etc. to rural subscribers, and who knows all manner of data since ATSC 3.0 will be IP, and that means it can use its broadcast signal to transmit data--any data using IP (Internet Protocol)--to IOT devices or part of a network for Hospitals in the region to share data or WHO KNOWS WHAT!
I've heard the "sending IP" feature. But here's my question... how does the return work? Using Netflix for example... the user would need to select what they want to watch, or search for a show, or pause the show. So how do those commands get to the internet?

It will have to be similar to wireless internet
I've heard the "sending IP" feature. But here's my question... how does the return work? Using Netflix for example... the user would need to select what they want to watch, or search for a show, or pause the show. So how do those commands get to the internet?

Sent from my SM-G950U using the SatelliteGuys app!

[Edited again: I did understand your post, afterall]

A rural internet user could use the internet connection they have today, say awful satellite, BUT browsing pages to look for something to watch does not require the bandwidth or speed necessary for viewing that content. So, the request (selecting that title) can be sent via current rural subscriber ISP requiring very little data, but the high bit-rate content (the movie or TV show) is streamed using a local OTA broadcaster with conditional access. That's all I know. It is true that sending commands for "trick play" would have latency if the system depended upon rural subscriber's Sat ISP, but at least the rural subscriber would be able to watch high quality (we hope the broadcasters don't deprecate it too much) content without hitting their ISP datacaps to view streaming content and possibly enjoy saving money by not depending ONLY on DBS for their TV desires.

It could be a case of the rural ISP being the UPstream and the OTA being the DOWNstream. It is a real service that could be done, but the broadcasters have not provided details like if it requires some inexpensive box, or you do NOT need any additional equipment, but you need to set up a preference in your Netflix or Amazon account or you have an option to select delivery by OTA. I know none of those details and the broadcasters have not provided any, but that does NOT mean it will NOT happen. We just have to wait and see what the broadcasters FEEL like giving us. I have a feeling that they aren't going to deliver on even half of the things they talk about using ATSC 3.0.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)