MeTV in DFW market

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

doc000

Well-Known SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Oct 1, 2010
Texas
In the DFW market, starting today we're losing MeTV from the primary channel it was on (KAZD 55; moving to one of the sub channels). The banner that's been displayed says to watch it on Dish 247.

I'm just curious if Dish is going to turn that channel back on for subscribers in this market. I ask because where I am, it's hard to pick up all the OTA channels (especially sub channels) with an antenna.

Do we even know for sure that Dish has a long-term contract to carry MeTV on channel 247? The last I heard, they had only reached a temporary agreement:

I wouldn't expect Dish to be able to change the markets in which they offer this channel, while they are still in the middle of negotiations for a long-term contract to carry it.

Reactions: charlesrshell
Well, it's on now.

I originally had 247 on in this market, and when the local station started carrying MeTV a year or so ago on its main channel, Dish dropped it from my package (like, immediately). But, now that it's gone from the locals again, it appears they've turned it back on in my package.

So, it's all good.

Reactions: pattykay
Do we even know for sure that Dish has a long-term contract to carry MeTV on channel 247? The last I heard, they had only reached a temporary agreement:

I wouldn't expect Dish to be able to change the markets in which they offer this channel, while they are still in the middle of negotiations for a long-term contract to carry it.

I would guess they can, I bet they operating under the contract that has been in place while negotiations take place.

I would guess they can, I bet they operating under the contract that has been in place while negotiations take place.
I wonder how today's move impacts the negotiations for the national feed (if the negotiations are still not finalized yet). MeTV could say "Well we are on in more markets now, so now we want even more money."

I wonder how today's move impacts the negotiations for the national feed (if the negotiations are still not finalized yet). MeTV could say "Well we are on in more markets now, so now we want even more money."

We can only guess of course. Mine is one of two things. The contract is not based on exact number of stations and allows for adding, deleting without cost change. I don't know that many METV stations actually leave and gain a market in a given contract term or how that tends to even out.
OR, a modification of that is they review in 6 months or something like that and there is a known cost to be deducted or added if there is enough change.

We can only guess of course. Mine is one of two things. The contract is not based on exact number of stations and allows for adding, deleting without cost change. I don't know that many METV stations actually leave and gain a market in a given contract term or how that tends to even out.
OR, a modification of that is they review in 6 months or something like that and there is a known cost to be deducted or added if there is enough change.
My guess is that in this case, the DFW MeTV affiliate gets a discount for moving down to a subchannel that Dish doesn't carry, since it now faces competition from the national MeTV feed. For MeTV, this would presumably be a wash, as they would simply get less money from the affiliate, but more money from Dish. So, it would work out to about the same amount either way. Of course, anything that increases Dish's costs will show up as part of a larger increase on all of our monthly Dish bills sooner or later, regardless of where you live.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)