Status
Not open for further replies.

cablewithaview

Stand against retrans!!!
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Apr 18, 2005
DeKalb County, AL
The Clark County Health District is pulling certain Mexican candies off the shelves based on testing done by health officials and researchers in UNLV's School of Public Health.

Over the last several months, UNLV researchers consistently found lead in several types of Mexican candies, specifically those containing chili or tamarind. Researchers tested more than 4,000 pieces of candy, and found lead in 25 brands out of 100 tested.

All of the candy was purchased within a two-mile radius of UNLV, researchers told the Sun in September.

The health district issued a "cease and desist" order to prevent the display and sale of Mexican candy that contains chili, Lucas products in the form of powders and salts, tamarind candies in glazed ceramic containers, and Tama Roca candy with straws. The health district will be inspecting stores to enforce compliance, officials there said.

"The action to remove the candies from the area store shelves is designed to prevent potential long-term, permanent effects of lead poisoning in children who may consume these products," environmental health professor Shawn Gerstenberger said in a statement.

http://www.lasvegassun.com/sunbin/stories/lv-other/2006/feb/19/566647498.html

i used to like mexican candy when i was a kid, not so much anymore. used to get it all the time when i went to mexico with my parents and when i went to las vegas to visit relatives.

sampatterson said:
Tamarind and chile, yummy (as long as there is not lead in it!) ;)

Lead? Can understand the chili powder. I think the closest we came up here in Boston to Mexican candy is eating a hot tamale now and then (lil red hot jelly bean thingys). As for lead....Im just not sure how that would taste.

boston area dtv said:
Lead? Can understand the chili powder. I think the closest we came up here in Boston to Mexican candy is eating a hot tamale now and then (lil red hot jelly bean thingys). As for lead....Im just not sure how that would taste.

hot tamale's.... no where near mexican candy. mexican candy is just, different.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)