Mgm-hd

schneid

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jun 27, 2007
In the Wind
Wonder if we will be getting this:

Taking advantage of the new opportunities created by the recent growth in high definition broadcasting, Metro-Goldwyn-Mayer Studios Inc. (MGM) will launch its first wholly-owned channel in the United States, achieving its long-time goal of breaking into the channel business in the world's largest marketplace. The announcement was made today by Harry E. Sloan, Chairman and Chief Executive Officer at MGM.

In a breakthrough agreement, MGM HD, a new 24/7 linear network delivering a robust library of classic and contemporary films in high definition, will launch this fall on DIRECTV, Inc., the nation's leading satellite television service provider. While the MGM HD channel heralds the studio's first foray into domestic channel operations, the MGM channel is currently available in nearly 120 countries across the globe, including an MGM HD channel in Poland which launched last year.

Full article here:

HDTV Bulletins: MGM Announces High Definition Channel for U.S. Debut, MGM HD to Launch on DIRECTV This Fall

I'm curious to see what kind of identity this channel takes on. Personally, I'd love to see an emphasis on classic titles. I'd love it if they produced a mix similar to HDNet Movies. Now, if they handle it like Universal HD...

I would rather have ESPN 8 "The Ocho" in HD first!

sorry, couldnt resist everyone constantly chiming in for non existant HD channels...

What's scary is that I'm slightly interesting in seeing what ESPN 8 would have for programming. It would probably STILL be better than the overall quality of ESPN Classic right now. LOL. I could SWEAR there's more classic sports to be shown instead of ESPN shows and paid programming.

What's scary is that I'm slightly interesting in seeing what ESPN 8 would have for programming.

The 2007 Bingo Invitational? Championship eating contests? The US Open Twister Competition? No wait.... The World Series of Go Fish :D

No, MGM HD would be more like HDNet movies or one of the Voom movie channels I would assume for two reasons. MGM HD would not be a premium but a tiered channel, and MGM HD would hopefully show movies in their original OAR not crop them like TNT, HBO and Cinemax! :mad:

AMC HD would rock. Things are heating up. I hope Dish gets some more birds in the air. Screw HD locals. I don't get them (in HD) and don't need them coming from Dish. I would like some more national HD (prefer the full meal not HD-lite but beggars can't be choosers) channels instead.

AMC HD would rock.

It would if it went back to its non-commercial format and no longer edited movies for content. Back then it was a great. Now its no different than any other ho-hum cable channel.

Besides, I wouldnt call any movie younger than 30 years old a classic just yet. With only a few exceptions, having 'classic' applied to movies generally means that several of the actors and directors have died. Just like music and painting.

MGM will only air what they have not sold already as exclusive to others. For example, the 17 titles Bond movies that Voom acquired, you will not see in MGM. The same will have with every other exclusive deal they have made. Of course, they will not show their entire library either. They make a profit by selling titles to the HDnets, premium channels, Voom, plus others.... So count a limited amount of movies of their library. They could also go the route of acquiring movies from other studios but I doubt that they will do that. I will not be surprised if this turns out to be another Universal HD.

This would seem to take a bite out of the TCM library. Sometimes i wonder if viewers are really better served by the emergence of new channels that seem to compete with existing ones.

Even as viewers we wind up paying for additional services and the competition amongst the movie (or sports or whatever) channels just increases the cost of acquiring the product.

But it si what it is I guess.

The MGM Channel
The MGM Channel features hand-picked movies from the celebrated Metro-Goldwyn-Mayer film library - the largest modern film library in the world.

Metro-Goldwyn-Mayer has long been a classic icon, its distinguished reputation embodied in its renowned moniker and roaring lion trademark. Since its founding in 1924, the Company has prided itself on creating and shaping cinematic history, delighted audiences worldwide with entertainment of unparalleled distinction. MGM, through its Metro-Goldwyn-Mayer Studios Inc. subsidiary, is actively engaged in the worldwide production and distribution of entertainment product, including motion pictures, television programming, home video, interactive media and licensed merchandise. The MGM Channel is a part of the Company’s MGM Networks division. MGM has ownership interests in television channels reaching over 110 countries and territories around the world.

MGM Networks
MGM Networks manages Metro-Goldwyn-Mayer Inc.’s interests in cable, satellite and other television channels and services that reach over 110 countries and territories around the world, across every inhabited continent. Metro-Goldwyn-Mayer Inc. owns the world's largest library of modern films, comprising approximately 4,000 titles, and over 10,400 episodes of television programming. MGM Networks' portfolio of channel interests includes the film-driven MGM Channel, which broadcasts worldwide in over a dozen languages, the Casa Club home and lifestyle channel which targets viewers in Latin America and Spanish-speakers in the United States, and several joint venture Pay TV movie networks run in conjunction with other major motion picture studios, in Latin America, Australia and Japan

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)