MGS4 is terrible

lakebum431

Pub Member / Supporter
Original poster
Pub Member / Supporter
Lifetime Supporter
Sep 5, 2005
Norris, TN
Well after completing Fallout 3 (which was a great game), I picked up MSG4. So far this game is terrible. I've played through Act 1 and part of Act 2 and it is boring! I knew the cut scenes were going to be long but I had no idea they would go 10 mins at a time. I'm all for a good story, but give me a break. I'm honestly not sure if I'm going to bother finishing it. Did anyone else have similar thoughts at the beginning, but change their mind as they played on?

The game picks up as you go on. Ironically, I found MGS4 to be quite intriguing while I found Fallout 3 to be boring, so maybe we just view games differently. I'd say if you're not into it by the end of Act II then it just isn't for you.

Here's a review of the game you may appreciate:

[ame="http://www.escapistmagazine.com/videos/view/zero-punctuation/99-Metal-Gear-Solid-4"]The Escapist : Video Galleries : Zero Punctuation : Metal Gear Solid 4@@AMEPARAM@@videos/config/99-3e71a8d3e99b21f3ad7cf6acbaec346f.js@@AMEPARAM@@99@@AMEPARAM@@3e71a8d3e99b21f3ad7cf6acbaec346f[/ame]

Thanks yourbeliefs! That review was exactly how I feel! Now to figure out what to buy now, because I don't think I'm going to bother finishing this one.

+1 Barely got out into Act 2 and gave up. Just used to the faster pace of COD and Resistance I guess. I ended up ebay'ing mine and ended up only losing out on $5 of the purchase price. Next time I'll know better and rent first or try the demo out.

There are a ton of games on PSN with no demos too, I think that's saved me quite a bit of money.

Similar to MGS4 but minus the self indulgent over the top cinemas every 5 steps, Killzone 2 can be rough for COD/Resistance people, controls are very sluggish by comparison.

Well, I'm honestly not sure what to go for. I am one of those "COD people" :) So maybe I shouldn't bother with Killzone 2 either. I am lost at what to get now. I wish Uncharted 2 was already out!

There may be a Killzone 2 demo out to try.

Not sure if that was a demo or a beta. I enjoy Killzone 2 a lot, but I can see how people looking for quick precise aiming would have problems.

There may be a Killzone 2 demo out to try.

Not sure if that was a demo or a beta. I enjoy Killzone 2 a lot, but I can see how people looking for quick precise aiming would have problems.
It has to be out by now... If it is, I should go and download that. After all, if my GF queue is any indication, I won't be getting this game in until they announce a release date of KZ3.

It has to be out by now... If it is, I should go and download that. After all, if my GF queue is any indication, I won't be getting this game in until they announce a release date of KZ3.

KZ2 demo is out. Tried it out and the controls were all over the place compared to Resistance/COD. I was excited for this game but it looks like now I'm going to pass because of the controls.

KZ2 demo is out. Tried it out and the controls were all over the place compared to Resistance/COD. I was excited for this game but it looks like now I'm going to pass because of the controls.
Looks like I have a reason to dust off my PS3 this evening. That is, of course, assuming that the demo finishes downloading before my bedtime..

I wish I could log into my PS3 via sling and start the demo download now. :) I too will give it a try. I have a feeling I may fall into the same category as thowe21 though. I love the snappy controls of COD.

I was interested in MGS4 but now I don't know. How would you guys rate it compared to Rainbow Six 2 & Ghost Recon 2, both of which I enjoyed (never played the first version of either)?

I got bored with TR Underworld but really loved Unchartered.

walt - I can make you a good deal on MSG4 ;)

I've never played either of the games you mentioned, sorry.

MGS4 was one of the 1st games I rented, when I got my PS3 last year. Only played for a day and was bored. Part of it was the controller learning curve, since most of my gaming is on the 360. Kids tried it. They weren't impressed either. Rainbow Six 2 and Ghost Recon 2 on the 360 are great. Better than MSG4, IMO.
Yourbeliefs, I have a feeling you'll be disappointed w/ Killzone 2. Playable demo is *very short. I was excited about this one, until I played the demo. Now I think I'll pass.

Gameplay aside... Rainbow Six 2 and Ghost Recon 2 are like sitting down to watch a collection of 30 minute self contained television shows. Metal Gear Solid 4 is like sitting down to watch the last 3 hours of a 14 hour epic.

I like GR2 a lot, but didn't like Rainbow Six 2 as much because it's more colorful, and I feel the graphics, while pretty, get a little muddy so it's annoying to pick out bad guys to kill.

In addition to the problems with how intrusive and overbearing the storytelling is in MGS4, I had issues with the controls and didnt play it long enough to get used to them.

I'd take Killzone 2 and Call of Duty 4 or WaW over the rest, followed closely by GRAW2 then RS2 and MGS4.

MGS4 was one of the 1st games I rented, when I got my PS3 last year. Only played for a day and was bored. Part of it was the controller learning curve, since most of my gaming is on the 360. Kids tried it. They weren't impressed either. Rainbow Six 2 and Ghost Recon 2 on the 360 are great. Better than MSG4, IMO.
Yourbeliefs, I have a feeling you'll be disappointed w/ Killzone 2. Playable demo is *very short. I was excited about this one, until I played the demo. Now I think I'll pass.
We'll see if it's any shorter than the Legendary Sword demo, which you could finish in the same time as a good BM. If I have anything on my side I never played KZ1 or cared much about the series in the first place, so I'm basically going in with a clean slate of expectations.

Worst case scenario, I just go back to fulfilling my crazy violence fetish with MadWorld..

Last edited:
(Please pardon my add-on thread hijack.) I own Killzone2 and I'll admit, the controls are a little off, but after I adjusted the L/R sensitivity it feels much better. The only problem, obviously, is I can't turn around quite as fast. In my case, I got better at it, too just by playing it more and more. The online play of KZ2 is (IMO) second to none...well, maybe Halo, but it's still a damn close 2nd. It's pure madness and mayhem. The "online-levels" are gigantic, the game never lags and there are always TONS of people online ready to cap my ass! I have 2 other friends who own (one, temporarily through G. Fly) KZ2 and we all play every night after our wives tell us we can. :rolleyes: Handling issues being my only complaint, I don't regret buying this game one bit. I'm not too sure I'd let the demo be the deciding factor. Love it, love it, love it!

Last edited:
walt - I can make you a good deal on MSG4 ;)

I've never played either of the games you mentioned, sorry.

Thanks bum, I appreciate the offer but you could probably get more on ebay than I'd want to pay - only because it sounds like a gamble as to whether we'd like the game.

Right now the family budget for video games is limited, so I don't want to gamble too much on something that me and the older kids aren't going to enjoy.

Also, it depends on what the "M" rating means for this particular game. If it's just occasional language like RS2 or GRAW2, then a couple of my older kids would be able to play it.

Smoke -
Thanks for hijacking! Have you played COD4 online? If so how does that compare to the online experience of KZ2?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts