MicroBudding with a dinged 1.2M (and bonus question)

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Katrinasucks

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Oct 11, 2005
So I got a 1.2M fiberglass dish today... The price was right but it was sorta dinged at the top. I can straighten it up and back it with a fiberglass patch to hold it right... The question is, am I wasting my time or is it ruined?

I know the right answer is "throw it up there and see if it works" but considering I just learned that FTA existed a week or 2 ago, I don't have any existing equipment, so I'm reluctant to spend a bunch of money to find out the dish is trash...

So some of you guys with more experience... If I can get the dish looking visually perfect will that be "close enough" or are we talking tolerences that are way tighter than that?

I realize getting C-Band on a 1.2 is already pushing my luck, just don't want to waste my time.

And as a bonus question... I can now (since the hurricane) aim a Direct TV dish in about 2 minutes or less without even using a compass. Is there anything else on 101, 110 or 119 that I can see with another (FTA/C-Band) receiver? In other words, if I use a dish with both a universal LNB and a circular, can I use the DirecTV receiver as my BirDog?

Thanks as always for humoring my rookie quesitons.

Sure can use your DirecTV receiver as a Birdog on 101/110 and 119w with a circular LNB!

With your 1.2m dish you should get great results on KU and some decent signals on C-Band.
Sounds like you are off to a great start!

Thanks... now to figure out which receiver...

That should keep me busy for a week or 2. ;-)

thanks

Oh- And a quick follow up... I read here a few times that the bigger the dish the tighter the focus. (roughly) How many LNBs can I put on a 1.2? In a perfect world, I'd like C, universal and circular. Am I dreaming?

Should be doable! I would have the Universal in the middle to collect as much signal as possible, then have the C-Band LNB to one side. (The scaler ring on theC-Band LNBF may be a problem, size wise) The DBS LNB can go upside down side ways it will not matter as its circular polarized.

I am thinking about making something like the below...

http://cgi.ebay.com/LNBF-C-Ku-universal-DSS-in-3-x1-Scalar-C-ring-Feedhorn_W0QQitemZ5807063017QQcategoryZ32848QQssPageNameZWD1VQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem#ebayphotohosting

heh- that looks great... Problem is, I'm at the point where I only understood half of what he said. ;) I'll get there though. It gave me something to chew on.

Edit: Does he have C in the middle?

The right answer for me would be.

1. make sure it works.
2. Fix it. Do it outside and use a gas mask. Fiberglass has high odor and can last for 2 to 3 days. Also were gloves and toss all the trash outside.

Good luck.

How badly "dinged" is the 1.2?

I've scoured the Metairie area for dishes since returning after Katrina. I've found numerous 1m - 1.2m fiberglass dishes, none in good enough condition to work. Katrina tore fiberglass dishes to shreds. The only reason my 1m Channel Master fiberglass survived is that I took it inside before getting my a** out of Dodge :)

If its just mildly "scratched", it probably is okay. But if its cracked or has a hole in it, forget using it. Its really sad, seeing so many great dishes destroyed out there. Last week, I found a large (probably 1.5 meter) fiberglass VSAT dish that would have been PERFECT for a microbud, but alas it was cracked.

I did manage to rescue a steel 36" offset dish out of the garbage a couple of days ago, and it will probably replace my Winegard on the SG-2100.

The very top (maybe 4-5 inches) has sort of a crease across it.

To me I think I can get it back so it visually looks fine... I'm not sure if it will work though.

Heck, I'll drive it over your way if you want to look at it and give me your thoughts. It has a 1.1db LNB on it... I figured I play with that for now and get one of those CP/LP combos later in life.

I've got a ton of cable et al and a place to put it while I tinker but I'm going to have to get a receiver soon.

The only way you'll be able to know for sure if its dinged beyond repair is to try it on a receiver. It might WORK, but not optimally. So a 1.2 meter dish damaged like that might give the results of a 30" dish.

I'll have everything up and running soon, ran the cable out to the trailer today.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)