MicroHD - Editor/DVD Burner for DVR-MS Files

KJ6EO

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Apr 16, 2013
118.3W 34.3N
Recently, I decided to try out the DVR in the MicroHD. Now that I have the files (dvr-ms), I'm looking for a good piece of software to edit/burn them. So far I found "DVD Creator" from Daniusoft. However it only has a simple editor in it. Before buying software "that I think might work", I'd like to ask for your recomendations.

I'd like to record my favorite music videos, cut/paste my favorites into another file, edit them if necessary, then burn them to a DVD/DVD-DL as necessary. Thanks in advance for your expert guidance.

The files recorded by the microHD are TS files, broken up into chunks. One problem with trying to create a DVD from these recordings is that the last 48128 bytes of the first file is repeated in the next file. (and so on for the remaining chunks) You can simply add the files together, but there will be a small blip in playback due to this overlapping portion. (unless your program playing it back can detect this and adjust for it) The only program so far that I have found to automatically join these files and edit the overlapping portion is TS-DOCTOR. You can manually trim the bytes off the end of the file, then binary add the files together. Once the files are added back together, I have found Videoredo to be great at taking the TS file and changing the package to be able to write it back as a mpeg file. (note depending on the format of the TS file you may have to re-encode) Also videoredo is great for editting the the files.
I no longer burn the files to a DVD disk, as I now use a USB stick or hard disk for the files I wish to play back. Others may be able to suggest a DVD authoring program. I have used simple ones in the past, but depending on the functions you want, they can get quite complicated. There is a simple authoring function in videoredo.
Also note that if you record hi-def programming and want to play it back on a DVD, it will have to be re-encoded. I tend to try to not have the recordings go through a re-encode, but just change the package to presurve the quality and time. Re-encoding can be a timely process.

Hi Larry - Thanks for your reply. I'll look for the software that you mentioned. I recorded to a 64Gig flash drive. Win7 identified the files as .dvr files. Also, I only see a single file "test_write.dvr". It's possible I don't have the DVR options set up correctly. I'll get back to you with more info!

Posted via Topify using Android

. If TS Doctor will cleanly fix the overlapping data problem, then that sounds like the first step.
Step two is editing (taking out the commercials).
Next thing is Authoring. That makes menus, and arranges your shows on the disc.
Burning the disc is the last step, but a lot of all-in-one packages handle that. . .

Some years ago, I made DVDs from many of the shows I recorded .
For removing commercials, VideoReDo was always the best.
It also repaired little hidden timing glitches that could come back to bite you later.
They eventually added DVD authoring, and raised the price. . .

Back in the days before VideoReDo could make DVDs, I used an expensive semi-professional package: DVD Labs Plus (ver 2 was fine)
Took a little time to learn, but I made over 1000 discs with it! ;) . .

Over the years, my focus shifted.
Now I just let a media player handle my playback needs.
It has access to half dozen hard drives on my LAN. . .
?
Now, when I need to make the rare DVD for someone, I let ConvertX2DVD handle everything, including reencoding.
It has a simple interface which gets the job started quickly. . .

You might do a search for Microsoft disc authoring tools.
I've never tried them, but whatever they give you for free might be sufficient. ;) ?.

I make Blu-Ray discs of everything now, even when it's standard definition content. The BD standard is far more flexible regarding the structure of the content stream than DVD is. This means far less re-encoding. As noted above, TS Doctor is the best tool for merging and error checking.

For the computer platform agnostic - when copying files from my Motorola cable boxes over firewire I used MPEG Streamclip to check for corruption and do simple repairs. Mac and Windows versions available.

The simplest conversion tool I have used for .ts files is Elgato turbo.264 on the Mac.

I have yet to test these apps on MicroHD .ts files, but will do so shortly and report any anomalies.

Thanks for all of the information. I downloaded the trial version of TS Doctor and it did a great job of getting rid of the overlapping and joining the files. The Daniusoft Wondershare Player recognized the fixed TS file and played it. This video is SD of course but it looked pretty good on my SyncMaster Monitor. Next step is to see if I can load and edit the file with the Daniusoft Video Editor. After I get everything edited, then I can burn it to DVD. I'll get back to you and let you know how things are working out.

Recommended player

Here is the universal player software you want to use on PC or Mac:
http://www.videolan.org/vlc/index.html
it'll play everything but those overlapping files just fine.
Not only is it free, but it has all codex built in so you don't need to be bothered with any stupid codex packs!
?.
If VLC won't play it, it's broken!

Master Anole - I have made some progress. I used the trial version of TS Doctor to fix and join the files from the MicroHD. For editing, I used the Danuisoft Video Editor. It sure does take allot of time to throw out the videos I don't want. The program is easy to use. If I remember right I paid $39 dollars for it. It has all the common output file types, including DVD. So, I'm going to make a test DVD to see what it looks like upscaled on my Sony Bravia XBR9. If it looks like crap then I'm not going to waste my time trying to make them. I'm still plagued by some kind of interference on c band. I have really strong signals on most satellites but I have dropout problems. Signal will be 76% then drops out for a few seconds. This happens on all my c band satellites.

Posted via Topify using Android

I make Blu-Ray discs of everything now, even when it's standard definition content. The BD standard is far more flexible regarding the structure of the content stream than DVD is. This means far less re-encoding. As noted above, TS Doctor is the best tool for merging and error checking.

Thanks for the info Tron. I built a server just for audio/video work. I have a large selection of vinyl and I've remastered and digitized some of it to CD. They came out really well ... very happy with my software (Magix). For a turntable I'm using a Kenwood KD-500, 3009 SME Tonearm, Blue Point moving coil cartridge, HK Citation Preamp. I have 2 BD Writers in the server. I read on one and burn on the other. That way I don't have to go out to the rack in the garage to change disc's. TS Doctor does a wonderful job of fixing everything. I'm having trouble with the Wondershare Video Editor. The latest version wont install on my server. So they're trying to get that figured out!

I respect your passion for this, but I can't imagine what on TV, with all the reruns available, is worth this effort. For videos created of family get-togethers perhaps. I find I never get to the end of recorded stuff I want to see even for the first time. Just think of all the DX you're missing on the ham bands while you're doing this!

Many years ago, I made DVDs of Formula One races, even to the point of printing unique graphics on the discs for each race.
Each had a unique menu, using the race track drawing as a background (frame capture).
I shared them with a few friends at the time, but today they are useless to me.
Not something I'd ever watch again.
Rare is the time I re-watch a series.
But I have friends with different views.
Now days I preserve a lot of video on my server.
While -I- don't watch it, it's there if others might be interested.
Well, there is one Japanese series I recorded off a local TV channel that's so funny I have watched it 3-4 times, but that's just one out of many hundred! ;)
You never know today, what might be desirable tomorrow.
?.

I'm an archivist myself, I record programming that might be remotely interesting for safe-keeping. My friends always ask why I collect programming that I rarely if ever watch. If I ever want to see it, I have it.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts