Microsoft announces Windows 7 pricing

Poke

Pub Member / Supporter
Original poster
Dec 3, 2003
OK
TG Daily (c) - Microsoft announces Windows 7 pricing

Redmond (WA) - Microsoft has just released pricing for Windows 7, due to ship on October 22.

Estimated retail prices for packaged retail versions of Windows 7 in the US are as follows:

Windows 7 Home Premium (Upgrade): $119.99
Windows 7 Professional (Upgrade): $199.99
Windows 7 Ultimate (Upgrade): $219.99
Windows 7 Home Premium (Full): $199.99
Windows 7 Professional (Full): $299.99
Windows 7 Ultimate (Full): $319.99

Most of these prices are identical to current Vista ERPs, but the Windows 7 Home Premium full retail product is $40.00 less and the upgrade $10 less than Windows Vista Home Premium today.

Win 7 Home Premium and Professional upgrades will be discounted for a short time.
Microsoft to cut prices on Windows 7 | Technology | Reuters
Microsoft said it would sell the Home Premium upgrade version of Windows 7 -- which most non-business customers already using Windows will want -- for $49.99 from Friday until July 11 in the United States. The discs would be shipped after general release.
After July 11, the pre-order price will be $119.99, 8 percent less than the current $129.99 price tag for the comparable version of Vista, which cost $159.99 at launch in early 2007.
The Professional upgrade version of Windows 7 -- aimed at small companies using multiple computers -- will be on sale until July 11 at $99.99, then at $199.99 afterwards. The comparable Vista version is the same price.

BestBuy.com to presell Windows 7 upgrades starting 6/26, starting at $49.99 (according to an inside source)

Windows 7 Home Premium upgrade: $49.99
Windows 7 Professional upgrade: $99.99

Questions:

1. Are these upgrades from Vista or XP?
2. If Win 7RC is the sole OS on your system, as it is on mine, can you upgrade or do you have to get the full-blown edition? Or worse, do you have to reinstall the previous OS?

I don't mind $100 for the upgrade, but not $200. And I guess I would need to look at the differences between Home Premium and Professional, as $49 is even better.

I have three vista machines in the house, but probably wouldn't upgrade my kid's laptop.

Questions:

1. Are these upgrades from Vista or XP?
2. If Win 7RC is the sole OS on your system, as it is on mine, can you upgrade or do you have to get the full-blown edition? Or worse, do you have to reinstall the previous OS?

these are good questions which hopefully i can find the answer to since i'm running win7rc as well.

It's my understanding that it won't let you "upgrade" from XP to 7, you have to do a new install. But does that translate into having to buy the "full" instead of "upgrade" version, even though you DO have a valid license for a prior version of Windows and there's no expense involved in putting more files on the install disc? If so, that's stupid, and Microsoft can look for lots of piracy.

It would be nice if they would let you "upgrade" from the RC, since that doesn't cost anything. But I'm very skeptical that they will, since you can install the RC without ever having had another Windows license.

Ok, help me out.

Win 7 Professional says: "Run many existing Windows XP productivity applications in Widows 7" -- what does that really mean?

Trying to determine whether Professional is necessary, or if Home Premium will suffice. Running Vista home premium now.

[ame="http://www.amazon.com/Microsoft-Windows-Home-Premium-Upgrade/dp/B002DHLUWK/ref=amb_link_84668631_3?pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_s=center-3&pf_rd_r=113GMB3MRQVP8AFGNZ0F&pf_rd_t=101&pf_rd_p=482287451&pf_rd_i=1286119011"]Amazon.com: Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium Upgrade: Windows XP: Software@@AMEPARAM@@http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/41y0loT30RL.@@AMEPARAM@@41y0loT30RL[/ame]

according to this, the upgrades are for XP or Vista. You just have to do a clean install for XP like with the current Beta releases

Ok, help me out.

Win 7 Professional says: "Run many existing Windows XP productivity applications in Widows 7" -- what does that really mean?

Trying to determine whether Professional is necessary, or if Home Premium will suffice. Running Vista home premium now.

You can run winXP in a virtual PC environment in windows 7. So, all the old apps that cannot run in Vista can still run on win7. It is MS's way of getting corporate to upgrade.

What really irks me about this upgrade 1/2 price is that they did not discount the ultimate. You have to pay a premium for ultimate for bitlocker then they stiff you again on the upgrade.

You can run winXP in a virtual PC environment in windows 7. So, all the old apps that cannot run in Vista can still run on win7. It is MS's way of getting corporate to upgrade.

What really irks me about this upgrade 1/2 price is that they did not discount the ultimate. You have to pay a premium for ultimate for bitlocker then they stiff you again on the upgrade.

Thanks. I have absolutely nothing old that isn't running in Vista, so I am guessing Home Premium will be fine.

Some client-server productivity applications require a domain-based network connection and the home versions have that capability disabled. In some cases it comes down to something as stupid as not being able to remember network connection passwords.

Some client-server productivity applications require a domain-based network connection and the home versions have that capability disabled. In some cases it comes down to something as stupid as not being able to remember network connection passwords.

Thanks. I decided I would splurge on one copy of professional, but use home premium on other machines. I am hoping there will actually be a stripped down version for netbooks.

You can run winXP in a virtual PC environment in windows 7. So, all the old apps that cannot run in Vista can still run on win7. It is MS's way of getting corporate to upgrade.....

How do you do this? I've just installed the W7 RC and I see no way to "force" this virtual PC environment. Please educate me, I'll need this to try and get a picky accounting program to run under W7. It checks to see that it's a Vista or XP Pro environment. Client-Server.

How do you do this? I've just installed the W7 RC and I see no way to "force" this virtual PC environment. Please educate me, I'll need this to try and get a picky accounting program to run under W7. It checks to see that it's a Vista or XP Pro environment. Client-Server.

MS has some fluf pages up on it, I have not seen the documentation. It is supposedly on the start menu.

http://www.microsoft.com/windows/virtual-pc/default.aspx

Windows Virtual PC: Get Started

MS has some fluf pages up on it...
XP-mode on Win7 works very well from my limited testing.

Cisco IPSec VPN client doesn't work under 64-bit Windows of any flavor.
Using XP-mode (it is always 32-bit) under 64-bit Windows 7 (build 7201 and 7264)
on a Dell Precision workstation (laptop) makes it work just like a native app.

The more RAM the better.

Diogen.

Verizon First, AT&T Last in 3G Speeds

Buy or Build - TODAY

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts