Microsoft sets Windows 7 upgrade prices

Poke

Pub Member / Supporter
Original poster
Dec 3, 2003
OK
TG Daily - Microsoft sets Windows 7 upgrade prices

San Francisco (CA) - Microsoft has published a list of price points for various Windows 7 upgrades. The corporation also extolled the virtues of Windows Anytime Upgrade (WAU), a utility geared towards users 'whose PC needs evolve to need a higher edition of Windows'.

"A customer may purchase a netbook thinking they would use primarily it for email. Over time, they find they are using that netbook as their primary every-day PC. That person decides they want their netbook to do more," writes Brandon LeBlanc in an official blog post . "If the netbook is running Windows 7 Starter (or Windows 7 Home Basic in select markets), WAU makes it super easy to upgrade to Windows 7 Home Premium."

LeBlanc explains that upgrading to Windows 7 Home Premium will allow users to take advantage of multiple features including Aero Peek, desktop themes and remote media streaming.

According to LeBlanc, Windows 7 Home Premium to Windows 7 Professional will be priced at $90, while Windows 7 Home Premium to Windows 7 Ultimate is expected to sell for $140. The Family Pack - which allows for the installation of Window 7 Home Premium on up to 3 PCs - will retail for $150.

"Today, most homes have more than one PC in them. When you run Windows 7 on more than one PC on a home network, you can do more with features like HomeGroup. HomeGroup allows people to connect to PCs on their network and share files, music and photos with the whole family – easily," said Le Blanc.

"After Windows 7 is released to market on October 22, you will be able to buy a retail package that contains an upgrade key at a store near you for any of the 3 paths I highlighted above."

I didn't even know that Home Basic (never even heard of Starter) was going to be offered in the U.S. I thought that the entry-level version was supposed to be Home Premium.

Microsoft is starting to sound like Dish.

I'm also not sure what all the hullabaloo over HomeGroup is about. I didn't think it was at all difficult to set up basic networking on XP. But then, I'm the sort of person who thinks that if you don't know how basic networking works, you probably shouldn't be running a network.

I didn't even know that Home Basic (never even heard of Starter) was going to be offered in the U.S. I thought that the entry-level version was supposed to be Home Premium.

Microsoft is starting to sound like Dish.

I'm also not sure what all the hullabaloo over HomeGroup is about. I didn't think it was at all difficult to set up basic networking on XP. But then, I'm the sort of person who thinks that if you don't know how basic networking works, you probably shouldn't be running a network.

One is for netbooks only the other is for developing countries. They are not generally available to retail US customers, just OEMs making netbooks with approved hardware (limited screen size, cpu, etc) or export to approved developing countries.

I hate to appear dumb although I may be, but I just purchase a new desktop with Vista Home Premium. Will I qualify for a free upgrade to 7????:confused:

I hate to appear dumb although I may be, but I just purchase a new desktop with Vista Home Premium. Will I qualify for a free upgrade to 7????:confused:

You should qualify for a free upgrade through the PC manufacture. From what I have seen only Vista Home Basic does not qualify for the upgrade.

You should qualify for a free upgrade through the PC manufacture. From what I have seen only Vista Home Basic does not qualify for the upgrade.

Correct, all Vista except Home Basic. (Also excludes Win XP machines, i.e. netbooks or custom ordered stuff)

Asus first to Feature USB 3.0

DDR3 Memory Question

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts