Microsoft hit with $5 million lawsuit over Halo 3, Xbox 360 problems

Fairly frivolous given the current 360 warranty. A new game so they are often playing for extended periods, essentially causes some defective systems to finally fail. The $5mil seems to be a headline grabbing number, but they're trying to define punitive damages because they haven't had $5mil in actual damages.

This will get dismissed if it even gets that far.

If this goes through, then someone should sue Microsoft for the problems Vista has caused for people.

If this goes through, then someone should sue Microsoft for the problems Vista has caused for people.

Too many ways around that one - different hardware, other people's software, etc.

With the 360 and HALO it's all in-house, so there's no one to point the finger at. Not that it will matter...

Ouch, now this scares me, playing Halo 3 long enough will rape your 360 system? WOOT.
Good thing I bought my system from Costco, I can return it and get another one (screw M$ Refurbished systems) I can get a new one on the same day if it breaks down from Costco because I am not a patient guy that would wait for their system for 8-9 weeks and probably still have to pay for S&H and not being able to get a new one.
I personally think every company should stop having their systems made in China, I don't mind paying more money for a quality product, that is safe**** and I know it may last more than a year. And start making this products more in Japan/Europe, stuff there last longer with longer life span on products.

Ouch, now this scares me, playing Halo 3 long enough will rape your 360 system? WOOT.
Good thing I bought my system from Costco, I can return it and get another one (screw M$ Refurbished systems) I can get a new one on the same day if it breaks down from Costco because I am not a patient guy that would wait for their system for 8-9 weeks and probably still have to pay for S&H and not being able to get a new one.
I personally think every company should stop having their systems made in China, I don't mind paying more money for a quality product, that is safe**** and I know it may last more than a year. And start making this products more in Japan/Europe, stuff there last longer with longer life span on products.

There's so much misinformation and bias in this post that it doesn't warrant a realistic response. You've reverted to your old ways.

There's so much misinformation and bias in this post that it doesn't warrant a realistic response. You've reverted to your old ways.

What do you mean? A product stops working you return it to Costco, some of their employees even tell you...is there a problem with that?

Fine.

Ouch, now this scares me, playing Halo 3 long enough will rape your 360 system?

For a defective system, it can do that. That is what happens with them. The systems get too hot, they end up losing a solder or whatever flexes too much, hardware fails.

Good thing I bought my system from Costco, I can return it and get another one (screw M$ Refurbished systems) I can get a new one on the same day if it breaks down from Costco because I am not a patient guy

The only constructive part of your post.

that would wait for their system for 8-9 weeks and probably still have to pay for S&H and not being able to get a new one.

FUD. There haven't been shipping charges since a little while before the warranty was extended. If you read the sticky thread, people reporting as little as 3 week turnarounds.

This one just shows you're (fill in the blank, options are ignorant, stupid, a moron). The PS2 has been made in China going on 4 years, and the PS3 is made in a combination of places - including China.

If your post was more or less your reply to mine only, it would have been a good contribution to the thread. Perhaps stick to the point next time?

Fine.

For a defective system, it can do that. That is what happens with them. The systems get too hot, they end up losing a solder or whatever flexes too much, hardware fails.

The only constructive part of your post.

FUD. There haven't been shipping charges since a little while before the warranty was extended. If you read the sticky thread, people reporting as little as 3 week turnarounds.

This one just shows you're (fill in the blank, options are ignorant, stupid, a moron). The PS2 has been made in China going on 4 years, and the PS3 is made in a combination of places - including China.

If your post was more or less your reply to mine only, it would have been a good contribution to the thread. Perhaps stick to the point next time?

*** man you must be on something....I stated company's and you are just putting words in my mouth now...
Did I just pointed to the 360? No, I pointed to all the companies, read my post againt.
Also I was talking about myself, I am not talking about other people, I mean I ain't stupid to actually send my console to M$ for some used piece of hardware, where I can just trade mine in to get a brand new one in case my system ever died. And that goes just for me since I bought it from Costco.
Benefits of paying a 50$ annual membership.

*** man you must be on something....I stated company's and you are just putting words in my mouth now...
Did I just pointed to the 360? No, I pointed to all the companies, read my post againt.
Also I was talking about myself, I am not talking about other people, I mean I ain't stupid to actually send my console to M$ for some used piece of hardware, where I can just trade mine in to get a brand new one in case my system ever died. And that goes just for me since I bought it from Costco.
Benefits of paying a 50$ annual membership.

Hi, I am typing this sitting next to my brand new Xbox 360 that was sent to me to replace my old one.

It is new.

It rolled off the line while my defective box was enroute for repairs.

You really need to just stop posting about the repair process since apparently gleaning things from forums and regurgitating them as fact doesn't work well for you.

I love the 'M$' usage by the way, just because they have the largest pile of money they must be the only company with that as their goal. Just more stupidity.

Hi, I am typing this sitting next to my brand new Xbox 360 that was sent to me to replace my old one.

It is new.

You really need to just stop http://www.satelliteguys.us/clear.gif
http://www.satelliteguys.us/clear.gifposting about the repair process since apparently gleaning things from forums and regurgitating them as fact doesn't work well for you.

I love the 'M$' usage by the way, just because they have the largest pile of money they must be the only company with that as their goal. Just more stupidity.

Glad I don't have to worry about those issues with my PS3. And all those dandy exclusives. :neener

Well my brother in on his third PS3, and he barelly uses it because he travels a lot. :confused: He's is using a Battery back up to protect his LCD and Ps3 so well is a lottery ...

The few PS3s I've read about being defective it was a crapshoot with how easy/hard it was to get it replaced. Default answer appears to be 'sorry, good luck' from Sony, so that's not something I'd be touting.

Not to mention their history.... PS2 DREs anyone? They had to be sued for anything to happen there.

Not to mention their history.... PS2 DREs anyone? They had to be sued for anything to happen there.

My launch day PS2 began having DREs about 3 years ago. I called a number for Sony that I found on the internet. The tech had me do a few things that didn't help then told me that they would fix it. Sent it in and in about 4 weeks I got the exact same machine back from Sony with a new drive and it's worked great ever since. I had to pay the shipping to Sony, but they paid to have it shipped back and the repairs were free. I don't know if this was after the lawsuit you mentioned, but either way, it was easy to get my PS2 fixed.

The result of the lawsuit had them replacing consoles until Feb of 2005 (units between launch and 2003 were determined defective). Sounds like your timeframes are spot on with the mention in Wikipedia about it.

Thankfully after a few calls everyone I've talked to about PS3 issues have gotten it replaced successfully.

It is new.

You really need to just stop posting about the repair process since apparently gleaning things from forums and regurgitating them as fact doesn't work well for you.

I'd rather get my 360 brand new on the same day than waiting, I wouldn't judge others if they wanted to just return their stuff @ the store.
Repairing its not the same as new, and YOU cannot say the same for everyone, M$ doesn't send everyone a new 360, if they did that, they would go broke.
Anyone in their right mind would return their product @ the store if the store allowed to be returned there than returning it to M$.

Last edited:
I'd rather get my 360 brand new on the same day than waiting, I wouldn't judge others if they wanted to just return their stuff @ the store.
Repairing its not the same as new, and YOU cannot say the same for everyone, M$ doesn't send everyone a new 360, if they did that, they would go broke.
Anyone in their right mind would return their product @ the store if the store allowed to be returned there than returning it to M$.

That's what I would do since I bought mine at Sams Club. BTW I thought Costco changed their return policy to 60 days now. Is that true? Or is that just for TV's and Computers which people were just upgrading to newer better ones even if theirs wasn't broken? I will only return my xbox if it gets RROD, not for the sake of getting HDMI or an Elite.

That's what I would do since I bought mine at Sams Club. BTW I thought Costco changed their return policy to 60 days now. Is that true? Or is that just for TV's and Computers which people were just upgrading to newer better ones even if theirs wasn't broken? I will only return my xbox if it gets RROD, not for the sake of getting HDMI or an Elite.
Mainly for CPU/TV's the 90 day warranty, either way I bought my 360 before the warranty policy came in play, they grandfather their old return policy if you still have the receipt.
Neither I, I wouldn't give away my 360 if it wasn't for a valid reason, too many saved games, I wouldn't want to trade that for anything, many hours of GoW,Halo 3, DoA4, Forza Motosport 2, those are the main games I've invested so much time into.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts