Microsoft reveals DirectX 12 for PC, Xbox One and mobile

Not for a while. It'll be years before this new framework is implemented to the point of being required in games. Many nowadays are also backwards compatible with older versions of DX.

From the IGN article...

http://www.ign.com/articles/2014/03/20/gdc-microsoft-reveals-directx-12-xbox-one-improvements

Microsoft wants DirectX 12 to exist as a "console-like" API, making it easier for developers to work with higher consistency and predictability. Direct3D 12 will apparently spread performance across multiple cores, lowering overall strain on hardware, and creating an environment where your rig--or PC rig--will have more headroom for running high-end graphics. Microsoft says 40 percent of all DirectX 11 hardware will be ready for DirectX 12 on day one.

It sounds like there is a chance our existing GPUs will support DirectX 12. I wouldn't rush out for a new GPU just yet.

Probably not. I think it's probably 50/50 for my Radeon HD7850. Like you said though, DirectX 12 won't be required for quite a while still. That's especially true if the rumor that it will only come with Windows 8 forward turns out to be legit. The install base for Vista/W7 is still too big for developers to cut those systems out of their games.

You also mentioned games being compatible with older versions of DirectX. I think you are spot on there. Games like Civ V and Saint's Row the Third currently give you the option of booting into DirectX 11 or DirectX 10 mode. We will probably see some newer games with DirectX 12 support soon but they will have a DirectX 11 option too.

Right. NO developer is going to force Direct X 12 until Windows 8 becomes the main operating system of choice, and I don't see that happening for another 3 or so years. I mean I have no compelling reason to upgrade to 8 yet, nor do many other people. And hell the main reason I upgraded to 7 was because I had a bunch of Windows 7 keys from my old job's MSDN account (I'm a bit of a cheapskate.)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)