Microsoft Security Essentials

lacubs

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Oct 9, 2007
Erie, Pa
tonight i open an email with a virus, i think got the virus but i got Microsoft Security Essentials error code (0x80070422) that won't let me update the program , when i looked up how to fix it told i need into safe mode , i not to comfortable with safe mode and downloading another virus software , is there another way to get my updates working ?

thanks

Disconnect your pc from your internet connection, and then boot in Safe Mode. It can't get another virus if it can't connect to the 'net.

You can temp load another antivirus software from cd/dvd or usb drive without ever having your pc connected to the internet. Once it's fixed, scan it again before reconnecting it.

tonight i open an email with a virus, i think got the virus but i got Microsoft Security Essentials error code (0x80070422) that won't let me update the program...

Good luck lacubs! I have a Vista machine at work that would update the virus pattern file reliably, but would not update SE itself. I tried safe mode. I tried a complete deinstall/reinstall. Nothing would fix that error. I finally gave up and went to Avast.

Good luck lacubs! I have a Vista machine at work that would update the virus pattern file reliably, but would not update SE itself. I tried safe mode. I tried a complete deinstall/reinstall. Nothing would fix that error. I finally gave up and went to Avast.
is Avast = or better then MSE?

And a "quick scan" seems to take about an hour,when MSE only took about 10 minutes.At least on my old XP box,switched to Avast on that do to MSE no longer supporting XP.Still have MSE on this one,Vista.

And a "quick scan" seems to take about an hour,when MSE only took about 10 minutes.At least on my old XP box,switched to Avast on that do to MSE no longer supporting XP.Still have MSE on this one,Vista.
You assume that the MSE quick scan is anywhere near as comprehensive as the Avast scan. I sincerely doubt that's the case.

I used MSE for years without issues. Recently switched to Kaspersky mainly because I had extra licences from my business.

I use AVG, Spyware Blaster (blocks the spyware), and Malwarebytes
If you have the paid version of malwarebytes, there would be no need for spyware blaster.Mbam as its sometimes referred to is pretty comprehensive.

Posted Via The FREE SatelliteGuys Reader App!

Not assuming anything,when it does a quick scan I expect,well quickness,an hour aint quick.When I do a full scan then I expect it to take awhile.
Yeah but one option is made by MS so many will chime in even if the alternative appears to be poorer. If MSE was the one taking an hour that would just be a sign of how much better the alternative is.

i just installed Avast this morning instead of figuring what what wrong with MSE, another program i use to fight spyware is with firefox noscript, 1 more question with Avast or Malwarebytes won't ever throw away a system file? because i remember when i use to Norton it would throw a system file and i need to reinstall everything

If you have the paid version of malwarebytes, there would be no need for spyware blaster.Mbam as its sometimes referred to is pretty comprehensive.

Posted Via The FREE SatelliteGuys Reader App!

I only have the free versions of these programs. I didn't have anything on my computer until last night when I read this thread and realized I did not install these once I reloaded windows on my computer a while back. I only had four things and did not notice a slowdown on my computer. Having an i7 quad core with CPU benchmark near 10,000 with 16 GB of memory probably helps. I will have as many as 50 webpages open at the same time without any slowdowns.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts