Microsoft Surface Book

The first laptop from Microsoft!

Surface Book Specs:
  • Display: 13.5” PixelSense™ display, 3000 x 2000 (267 PPI), aspect ratio: 3:2
  • Weight: starting at 3.34 pounds (1,516 grams) including keyboard
  • Dimensions: 12.30” x 9.14” x 0.51 - 0.90” (312.3mm x 232.1mm x 13.0 - 22.8mm)
  • SSD drive: 128GB, 256GB, 512GB, or 1TB
  • CPU: 6th Gen Intel® Core™ i5 or i7
  • RAM: 8GB or 16GB RAM
  • Battery life: up to 12 hours of video playback
  • Ports: two full-size USB 3.0, full-size SD™ card reader, SurfaceConnect, headset jack, mini DisplayPort

This is an interesting device! The main question I have, is how usable the tablet portion is on its own.
Can I leave the base at home and travel without it for example? I understand I would lose the GPU accelerator.
But what will be the battery life? Can I even charge it without the base? Which connectors can I use directly?

Well, at least the Surface Pen is included! :D

Just looked at the max configuration ($2700). It's less than I paid for the maxxed out Dell M3800 ($3200), with comparable specs. I like the idea of the detachable monitor, but I'm less happy that it's only 13.5"

They don't even show the 1TB option yet. Which will be way over 3K! But hey, it's the Ultimate laptop! :)

They wont get it right until the version 3.
That's what I fear too! Will the first generation Surface Book be trouble-free?

What gives me some optimism though is that Surface Book is essentially a bigger tablet with a keyboard. And Microsoft has been making tablets for at least three years and keyboards for more than 20 years!

They wont get it right until the version 3.
Obviously I have not seen one in person, but being that a large portion of it is based on the surface tablet, then I would have to disagree.

Naturally there will be improvements with each new model (or should be).

I figured this would get Don's attention instead of the Surface Pro 4. Too bad Microsoft didn't give it Thunderbolt II or USB-C for some real oomph in the external storage department.

very tempting. My desktop is pretty much in it's deaththrows, and I'm looking at replacing it with something portable. The price isn't too attractive, but the specs are, and anything similarly spec'd is going to cost about as much.

I figured this would get Don's attention instead of the Surface Pro 4. Too bad Microsoft didn't give it Thunderbolt II or USB-C for some real oomph in the external storage department.
Not to mention the better charging you can get from USB-C power supplies. That's a big advantage for something portable.

BTW, I read the battery life without the keyboard is somewhere around 3 hours for the users reporting. Of course that depends on what you are doing as usual.

I've been wanting to replace my MacBook Pro w/Retina that is now 3 years old. That's usually when I replace things of that nature. Looked at the new Macbook 12" and it would do all I would want to do. It is somewhat underpowered as all Core M boxes are, but I don't do 'humpty' things these days. And it only has one USB-C port which I find not good. It is one sweet box though.

Looked at going away from Apple too. Did some research on the SurfacePro 4 and took a look at one over at BestBuy. Decent machine and the keyboard add-on is very nice. But the battery life, even on the Core M version is pathetic. Around 5-6 hours. Hell my MBP gets better than that, as does my Yoga 2 Pro and Pixel Chromebook.

The SurfaceBook looks attractive and with keyboard attached has a huge battery life. But the price is very off-putting at the level I would buy.

It is looking more and more like I won't actually do anything at all. :(

Sent from my App Runtime for Chrome using Tapatalk

The SurfaceBook looks attractive and with keyboard attached has a huge battery life. But the price is very off-putting at the level I would buy.

It is looking more and more like I won't actually do anything at all. :(
Same thing usually happens to me.

But I think this time I might pull the trigger on the Surface Book. Has pretty much everything I need, and I am in the need of a new pc.

Question is at what level I will get it. Right now I'm leaning at the 256GB SSD/8GB RAM/dGPU.

Same thing usually happens to me.

But I think this time I might pull the trigger on the Surface Book. Has pretty much everything I need, and I am in the need of a new pc.

Question is at what level I will get it. Right now I'm leaning at the 256GB SSD/8GB RAM/dGPU.

That would be the configuration that would attract me. Being an avowed geek, gotta have all the toys in the new box!! But from a practical point I don't need anywhere near that level of performance. These days I find myself on the Pixel Chromebook as much as anything else. Got Linux on it for a usenet client and Moneydance which works just fine. Great screen, great battery life. lots to like.

http://www.anandtech.com/show/9767/microsoft-surface-book-2015-review

Anandtech's review. They liked it a lot, but recommend holding off on purchasing because of driver issues...

I think despite the price Microsoft is going to have customers for this. The question is will they get the bugs sorted out. The first firmware update fixed a lot, but there are still too many outstanding issues to recommend the Surface Book at this time.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)