Microsoft warns of Internet Explorer security gap

I've avoided I.E., except to visit windows update, for 10+ yrs.
MOF, Lately I avoid windows, unless it's absolutely necessary. (Linux software equivalent unavailable)

I still use IE, but only on my SurfacePro and Asus T100 and then only to a very few sites. My Macbook Pro is my primary computer for most other things. So I doubt I will change how I do things. Good to know they've identified the problem, not so good that it will take awhile to get a fix out.

I mostly use chrome, I have to use IE for certain work sites, hopefully none of them get corrupted until the patch is issued.

http://www.tomshardware.com/news/microsoft-internet-explorer-vulnerability-windows-xp,26650.html

I posted this in the XP thread too since there was a discussion of the same bug. The article shows a work around by unregistering a DLL will stop the exploit. Probably the only workaround for XP since MS probably will not patch it.

One workaround, which is listed towards the bottom of Microsoft's alert, includes disabling VGX.dll, which is responsible for rendering of VML (Vector Markup Language) code in webpages. VML is only infrequently used on the web, Kandek adds, so disabling it in IE is the best way to prevent exploitation. To deregister it, type in the following:

regsvr32 -u "%CommonProgramFiles%\Microsoft Shared\VGX\vgx.dll"

My computer gives me an error. "Windows can't check for updates"
Last successful automatic update was March 19th. No amount of searching Microsoft help has helped me figure it out. :(
Using Google chrome instead of IE but I still need to get this fixed.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using SatelliteGuys

Last successful automatic update was March 19th. No amount of searching Microsoft help has helped me figure it out. :(

Sent from my SCH-I535 using SatelliteGuys
Just leave it on automatic update,it should find it,mine did.

Is there an error code? Which version of Windows? It could be a virus blocking the windows update.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts